Qustion about the on-gaurde stance

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by lord s, Mar 7, 2006.

1. lord s

lord s Valued Member

Hi all
    I was wondering, in the on-gurde stance, where your first foot is flat on the floor but not planted and you're standing on the ball of your rear foot
    do you do it like a TKD stance for example (you keep on doing light jumping?)
    and the one ench punch, anyone can do it?

2. neb

neb Banned Banned

Well, referring to Jun Fan gung fu (Bruce Lee's applications of JKD philosophy) - The on-guard position runs on the basis of being the most comfortable with ease of movement without wasting any energy with excess movement.

Generally, there is slight bouncing motion of the knees, simply to aid reaction time (and even then not always) but nowhere near to the same extent as the jumping around of TKDists. Just enough to keep one 'light on their feet' without losing focus and energy.

As far as the one inch punch is concerned, anyone willing to train for it can do it. It's not a question of innate talent. Bruce Lee himself is naturally scrawny and was only, like, 5 foot 5 inches.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  3. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

i would second that

4. lord s

lord s Valued Member

Nice

But I once heared that bruce once punched a guy with a one ench punch and he knocked him far away, I mean mine hurts but it's not as strong as a cross jab
    any advice?

5. neb

neb Banned Banned

Do lots of press ups.

Seriously though, alot of it comes from Bruce's constant working on his chi sao and energy drills. You'll need a wing chun or JKD school to go and practise that.

6. thefourfoldpath

thefourfoldpath New Member

I somewhat disagree, Bruce Lee was anything but scrawny. Look at his muscular structure, all i can say is BATWINGS.

As for the en garde stance, I would say that I agree with what a lot of people are saying in this forum.

as dumb as it sounds, you dont want to move around too much, because that is a waste of energy, and you dont want to stay too still either.

As JKD is a concept, your happy medium for footwork will also vary depending on what works for your body type, etc.

Another thing needs to be mentioned.... in the en-garde stance, make sure you guard your groin with your lead leg. I have seen some nasty things happen is parring when people try to do the typical Lee-esque footwork and dont guard their groin......just a thought.

after all, two primary targets in jkd, Eyes, GROIN

7. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

cont. last post.........and Knees are also a target....

JFM

8. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Have you ever thought about tracking down a JKD instructor near you? I know that JKD isn't exactly rampant like TKD, but maybe you could attend a seminar and something. I hate the idea of giving out information on something as basic as a fighting stance on the internet.

Asking for tips on increasing hand speed or ways to stretch the calves is one thing...but asking about stancework is like saying, "Hey, how do I slip a punch?" If you aren't shown physically, then you'll miss something HUGE and develop bad habits.

On a side note, you put "instructor" in your profile...but you're 15 years old this year. Are you a junior black belt or an assistant to the instructor?

Happy Training.

9. thefourfoldpath

thefourfoldpath New Member

Good call

You are absolutely right. Trying to learn on your own... especially for something as diverse from person to person as the concept of JKD. I tried to learn based just on the tao of JKD, until I found an instructor. I had to re-learn everything. Definitely a good call. My bad. :bang:

10. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

The JKD on guard stand has your left or right foot back, whichever is NOT going to be your main kicking weapon, so in my case, my left foot is back on the ball of the foot pointing towards the opponent, the right foot is at a 45 degree angle out infront about shoulders distance apart from the other foot, flat on the ground, distribute your weight evenly.

the one in punch is more of a violent push. dont think of it as a punch, its kind of like a hybrid of a punch and a push if that makes any sense.

11. Topher

Topher allo!

Centerline pressups and centerline punches help build short range power.

For anyone else, does JKD train Chi Sao?

12. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

13. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Yes, but bruce was not naturally muscular. It took years of training for him to attain that muscular finesse. But he developed the one inch punch before he started weight training with Allen Joe.

The one inch punch isn't nescessarily reliant on muscular power. I mean, not much power can be expuled by the muscles from the distance of one inch. It is more reliant on strong wrists, and very fast footwork. mHowever, muscular power can help, with strong oblique muscles helping to aid the quick, twisting motion nescessary for the one inch punch.

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

the 1 inch punch is a explosion wating to happen, nothing more, nothing less.......Start training "IT" by using hammer curls with 25 lbs dumbells, do three sets of ten.....Also, I will just say you need to train the exercise, that is making the best result in the giving area that you are trying to improve....I hope this helps :)

Take "IT" Easy,
    John McNabney

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hammer curls wont help, as the power does not come from the biceps, more from the actual movement. If one wishes to develop to aid the one inch punch, the best area's to exercise are the triceps and the abdomen.

16. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Bruce referred to the By-Jong (on guard stance), as being a 'small, phasic, knee bent stance'.
    'Small' refers to not over extending any movements, but utilising small, rapid footwork. 'Phasic' means that the stance is not static, but is part of a cycle, in which it is constantly changing. So although there is movement, it isn't light jumping as you would see in a TKD stance as this would be considered wasted motion. The 'bent knee' allows the practicioner to be in a state of readiness at all times during motion. Put this stuff together and you've got yourself an effective fighting stance, in the sense of being non-telegraphic, allowing for quick cover of your 'targets', and also allowing for rapid execution of strikes.

I love my by-jong :D

Peace