Quite the turn of events...

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Kwajman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well crap. I've developed another issue with my leg. Those of you who know me know that I've had a bum knee for a long long time. Multiple surgeries, basically what I thought was no cartilege in my left knee. So I had an MRI to find out just what was going on there in the knee area to prepare for a knee joint replacement and its much worse than I thought.

Turns out I have a large non-cancerous bony cyst in the top of the lower leg bone and may have to lose my lower leg. Its where all the muscles and tendons come together and the bone is basically flaking off like bad cement.

Now those of you who know me also know that I usually see the glass half empty, walk a little on the dark side of life if you know what I mean. But for some odd reason. When the doctor told me he could make the pain go away that I've had for the last 8 years, pain all day, every day, 24/7; I felt a sense of relief.

I asked him about a prosthesis and turns out theres been some real advances in hardware. I told him I had wanted to start competing again in tournaments but know now that I'd be dumped in the 'disabled' category which is NOT what I want. I haven't had to face any real physical limitations in some time, other than the normal age related ones. But its weird, I'm kind of looking forward to the challenge of dealing with the loss of a leg if it comes to that.

My inspiration comes from a nephew who was blown all the hell up in Afghanistan, only through perseverence he has proven the doctors wrong again and again. I figure if he can get burned up, lose an eye, lose two limbs and still wants to start a bar fight or two, who am I to let a little thing like losing a leg stop me.

I know this may be an odd thread, it may not make sense. But I'll keep everyone posted on whats up and when/if I do lose my leg what my new sparkly steel one will look like. I figure a shin kick in a tournament ought to hurt like a biatch with a steel leg. I'll keep you posted if anyones interested.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nice one! Hard breaks but never say never. Come back stronger!

3. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Good luck, Kwajman. All the best for the best outcome possible. :Angel:

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Aw man, sorry to hear this.

I dont really know what to say. Not to sound insensitive but is it a guaranteed loss? What were the other options other than amputation?

5. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I'm with them. Best of wishes with you mate, and come back stronger and ready to kick some ass :)

6. So sorry to hear about this downturn Kwajman. :(
    I am sure you did, but in such a case, a second or third opinion is very much worth it. :)

Osu!

7. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I wont say Im sorry to hear this because from the sounds of it theres nothing to be sorry for. You've adopted such a positive attitude toward it to say sorry seems almost out of place if you follow me. I can relate though. When I lost my achilles and they told me I should just hang up Martial Arts all together. I said, "yeah... I dont think so."

Sometimes its the adversities in life that bring us more positive energy than the good things. They remind us that we still have the fight within us to control out lives and have a say in when the game is over for us. Think of the opportunity you can have to be inspirational to others? Ever see the movie 'Men of Honor' with cuba gooding jr? If not, see it. Its based on the true story of Carl Brashier (sp).

I wont say I'm sorry for you, because in a way you've been given a gift - the gift of perspective and the challenge of overcoming an obstacle which, in its conquoring will do more to elevate your spirit than nearly anything else that might come your way.

You have the heart, you have the will and now you have the test of both. Embrace it. YOU decide when its over. As the saying goes, "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal"...

All my very best to you, Kwaj. Now go kick some hindparts!!!

8. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'm humbled by your spirited approach Kwaj. I can also understand the relief that goes with the end of long-term constant pain - it can be a real bummer!

I hope it all works out as well as possible. From what you've said above I'm sure you'll make the best of the hand you're dealt.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike

9. Kwajman

Well there will be more tests. Depends on whats causing the cyst, how fast its growing and whether they can 'pack' it with bone chips to hold it all together before the leg collapses. I'm supposed to have a good idea within a month or two. Thank you all for your comments.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hope everything turns out alright

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

We're thinking positive thoughts towards you from here!

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

No chance of having a total knee replacement done or is it too extensive for that? If it's a chance then if you want a good joint I would suggest looking at the McMinn knee... it gives 50% more flexion post op than almost any of the other options.

You've got a great attitude!! Hope it all works out for you as best as it can!

LFD

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd like to echo the sentiments posted already, which have been expressed a lot more eloquently than I ever could.

Very best wishes Kwajman. Please keep us all informed of your progress.

14. embra

embra Valued Member

Good on ya Kwajman!

15. SAMA-UK

SAMA-UK the Mr Bean of Wado!

That's what I'd say if I was as eloquent as Big Mikey! I, too, didn't want to say "sorry about that" but couldn't figure of way of expressing it without it sounding rather heartless. So thanks, Mike, and all the very best to you Kwaj.

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Is it an Aneurysmal Bone Cyst? Unicameral, Fibrous Dysplasia or Giant Cell tumor? I think its rare for a non-sarcoma to require amputation. I guess they've already tried curettage and cement packing, then?

My heart goes out to you. Keep us posted on things.

17. Kwajman

They haven't given me an exact diagnosis. I do a needle biopsy tomorrow, Tuesday and will know more than. They want to try the bone packing but if that doens't work they may have to go to the amputation simply due to the lack of bone support for the lower leg.

I don't want to be walking down the street and have the bone collapse leaving me in a pile on the sidewalk. The docs think its an offshoot from some osteoarthritis that's gone haywire and the bone is kind of eating away at itself from the inside. All they know from the MRI is that its fribrotic in nature and is growing fairly quickly. It could cost me my job in the long run, I can't have any real medical problems where I'm going.

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That really sucks Kwajman. I hope the diagnosis is as positive as possible.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Dude...Best of luck with it man. That was a pretty inspirational op btw :cool:

20. Kwajman

Well I'm trying. It could end my job if the diagnosis comes out the wrong way. I'm too old to start over and too young to retire.