Questions About Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I could never drop Hapkido.

I love Hapkido, and my parents and myself dropped alot of money for it.

I just turned 15. I figure I can get my black belt when I'm either 17 or 18. After I get it, I want to take either Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

so you would drop hapkido once you get a black belt? or do you plan on doing both at the same time?

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well I want to get a black belt in Hapkido, before I start something else.

Or maybe when I'm close to my black belt (possibly 17) I'll study either Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

And maybe after I get my first black belt in HKD, I might continue to study it as well as either Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Also do Kickboxers train with Thai Pads?

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

depends on the gym.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Is it usual though?

8. We use them. I prefer focus pads, but for roundhouses etc, you aren't gonna beat thai pads.

In most gyms, you will be given the choice. If they don't have them, you could buy your own and take them each time :)

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Cause I was thinking of get some thai pads, or something similar for HKD. So I can practice my strikes.

But.....

When I'm done with HKD and I move on to Kickboxing or Muay Thai, it would be helpful.

10. Muay Thai is pretty cool. I won't hide anything - I started kickboxing because a mate told me to check it out at the local leisure centre with him. That was 6 years ago almost. Still here, and fighting :)

But you've never tried it. It's verry funny thing. You can't at the moment, but you will condition yourself to the punches. It's not really natural for anyone to survive knees to the stomach and face - we get used to it. I have a good chin. Did I when I started? Hell no!

Now, let's not make this bit up to get you training, Kickboxing AND MT are hard contact sports. Do not expect to go in, do 5 pressups and situps, hit some pads and be a world champion. Expect heavy cardio, conditioning work, hours of hitting the heavy bag often before you can spar. Once you start sparing, it takes heavy dedication, love, and mental effort to reach the top.

At the moment, I'm training with either resistance or kickboxing 6 days per week. At home, I supplement this by hitting my bag, skipping, and doing other cardio work. I do lots of cardio, lots of strength training, stretching, lots of sparring, and only this year am I entering tournaments/fighting at a good level. I know Ikken does a LOT of work on his bag, and trains six days a week.

This is the kind of dedication you will need to reach your goal. My aim is to become a world champion - I know there are hundreds of titles, but a WKA/WAKO one would do me great. I'm halfway through a SPORTSCOACH UK training qualification, and learning from my coach about coaching this sport. It is something I am extremely passionate about. I am noot saying this to "big myself up" - it's just to give yourself an idea of what's involved for you to succeed your goals which are similar to mine.

If you get focus pads, I recommend T-Sport ones - www.cimac.net

Off hand, I couldn't recommend any Thai pads. Maybe someone else could.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

So far I think Kickboxing might be ahead over Muay Thai. Like I said, my first love was Kickboxing, when my Dad, told me about it.

I've never tried Muay Thai so I wouldn't know.

But I love Kickboxing, I like Muay Thai. I've never done them yet.

But one day like I said I want to be a world champ in either of them.

12. Read my above post. You got that dedication? If so, go for it!!!

Neither have I. Too late now really

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

How old are you Norm? When did you start training?

14. I'm 16½. Started at 10. In fairness though, training did not get serious until I was about 14. Before, it was twice a week, technique sessions with 10 or so mins sparring at the end. At 14, I joined a KB gym went twice a week for 2 hrs a pop, worked on bags, got me my own, and now, I'm at the stage I posted above (since about a year ago).

15. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Man this thread totoally rocks!
    Full of enthusiasm .Good for the sport.
    Norm i cant wait for you to start fighting in FC .
    When is your debut?
    With your experience in l-con already and your dedication i pity the poor novice who is thrown in there with you!

Whats your name and what weight do you fight at?

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

So Norm if I start at 17 or 18, it'll be too late for me? :cry:

17. Dude, I gonna send you a pm in a min

18. Not at all mate - I'm saying it's too late for me to do MT, cos I'm in with KB now and it would be detrimental.

19. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

So If I started at 17, or 18, I'm stretching it, but possibly even 16, it wouldn't be a total lost cause. I good possibly do good, compete in compettitions, and whatnot.

Also Norm, when youi have time tell me about the 2004/2005 PKA Nationals. :cool:

20. Dude, you're fine starting at that age!!! The reason it's late for me is because I've developed kickboxing habbits that stretch back 6 years and would be hard to break. Starting at 18, I'd say you would definately have an oppportunity to compete. The high level question is a funny one. We hear people who have trained since they were born - some even before!!! It all comes down to what you will put into training, and how badly you want to live your dreams.

Put it this way, if you want to be better than me, it's simple. Put more work into achieving your goal than me, and make up lost time. There is no correct age to start. It depends on so many things it' s unreal!

No probs. Can tell you about more if ya want - just I'm really busy ATM (1:30 AM) with PMs posts and loads more!!!

:)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005