Questions About Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yes, muay thai has the sexy shorts :D

2. Can I just ask a few questions.

Why would they choose to teach south paw style? They should be doing both and letting you decide. It seems entirely ridiculous to just teach south paw, or have I missed something?

IMO, kickboxers will generally beat MTers (what do I call them?) at kickboxing and vice versa. Just like a judoka will beat either at grappling :)

Good. It is very simple :)

Not really. They are just reluctant to fight them at their own stadiums in Thailand using Thai rules :p

K-1 is proof that they're not really scared :)

Now, what elese did you want to know? This thread has moved on quite a bit since I was last here :rolleyes:

IKKEN - you have the sexy thai shorts, we have the silky, stylish trousers. I'll let Korpy decide on that one ;)

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Heh, you guys are great.

Both trunks and shorts are awesome.

Now there's only that place that teaches Kickboxing by me. (There are 2 Muay Thai places)

Now if I hypothetically choose Kickboxing, would I be at a disadvantage, because they only teach South Paw Style?

4. Great question!

Now, they say they teach south paw kickboxing. The guy I'm seeing on the picture is regular stance :confused:.

Now, if they only taught south paw stance then if you are right handed you would be at a disadvantage. I somehow think they do both. Your powerful hand should be behind the weaker one. This way, the weaker one can flick out easily and quickly, whilst the powerful one can come from the back with maximal power. If you learnt from day 1 in south paw then fine, but I wouldn't recommend it though. Go down, train, speak to the guy, and ask him!

Any more? ;)

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Sorry, I wasen't on yesterday, I had a horrible stomach flu. It sucked.

But awesome back to the questions.

I am right handed, what stance would be for me in Kickboxing?

Also in Muay Thai are there stances, and if so which would be right for me?

It both Kickboxing and Muay Thai, what are the fighting rings like?

Also if a Muay Thai Boxer fought a Kickboxer with MT rules, the Muay Thai Boxer would win? Vise Versa with a Kickboxer and a Muay Thai Boxer, with Kickboxing rules.

Also this sort of has to do with both. Which arts does Jean Claude Van Damme know? I heard one of them is Kickboxing.

6. You don't have to apologise :p

Regular/Left foot forward

See above

Exactly the same in each. A canvassed floor with some give, raised about a foot+ off the ground. 4 ropes which are elasticated. I've forgotten the exact dimensions (they change for each organisation). I'll look later :)

Pretty much. There are always exceptions to the rule, though.

I wouldn't worry - he is more of a film star. Karate as well, maybe? Don't think he did MT.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hey Norm I see in your signature about you get a silver and bronze placing in a Kickboxing tournament.

If and when you have time I want to hear about those tournaments. :cool:

8. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Hi Korpy

Norms a young lad, but I have to say he dose seem to know his stuff. Listen to his advice and you won't go to wrong.

Hi Norm hope your well???

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hey Bograt, you a Kickboxer too?

I have a dream one day to be a professional fighter. Fight in professional tournaments (either as a Kickboxer or a Muay Thai Boxer), and possibly fight in K-1 one day.

Right now I take Hapkido and I love it. And after Hapkido I think that Kickboxing or Muay Thai would be a good transition.

Cause in Hapkido besides working on takedowns, pressure points, and defensive tactis. (defensive stuff is good for Kickboxing or Muay Thai)

We also focus on kicks and knees.

10. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Yep I also teach karate.

I like people who set thier standards high. I hope it all works out for you.

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you Bograt. :)

Another thing about my Hapkido training tranlating into either Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

They teach us how to balance properly and how to coordinate our power, and our strikes.

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

What are all the kicks in Kickboxing? Also what are the bsics?

Also do Kickboxers wear trunks or Kickboxing pants?

Also Norm don't forget to tell me about your PKA placings that are in your signature.

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Also I have a question.

Is Kickboxing an American or a Japanese martial art?

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I cant tell you all the kicks in kickboxing, but the basic kicks are-
    front kick
    roundhouse
    spinning back kick

kickboxers wear pants, muay thai fighters wear shorts

depending on the rules- american kickboxing is obviously american. however japan developed its own kickboxing, i nfact k-1 used to be a seidokai (I think) tournament.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

What are the basic kicks, and knees, and elbows in Muay Thai?

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the basic kicks are the same as kickboxing, but the roundhouse kicks are also delivered to the inside and outside of the thigh. there are two basic knees, the straight knee, where your hips drive the knee straight into the other person like a spear, and the "rabbit" knee for when you are close. the rabbit knee is thrown in a circular motion, hitting themin the sides. not as powerful. the basic elbows are the "hook elbow" (remember that names are gonna be different from gym to gym) which is basically a hook punch using the elbow, and the downwards elbow which is similar but comes over and down across the face.

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Isn't a roundhouse kick to the inside of the thigh a little dangerous to the groin area, or do Muay Thai Boxers wear groin protectors?

18. Hey Korpy

You want to be a pro in either Kickboxing OR Muay Thai. Well, to be a pro in anything, you're gonna have to love it. Which do you currently think would be the best. Go for something you love - not something you think you would be good at.

If I'd have kept judo up consistently for the last 7 years (when I started), I would be at a VERY high level. However, I have more love for kickboxing and as such, have had far more success in this discipline.

TBH - I think I would be great at MMA, perhaps better than at kickboxing. I like kickboxing more, however, and would not leave it. I'm sure Ikken feels the same about MT, etc.

I will get round to writing about my PKA tournaments, and others.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah you wear a groin protector. and its only dangerous if the other guy cant aim ;)

and what Norm says is right. if you have aspirations to be a champ you will have to drop hapkido and focus on either kickboxing or muay thai. same reason why I only do muay thai now and dropped judo and capoeira to train 6 days a week

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well I first found great liking for Kickboxing when my Dad and I watched Kickboxer and Bloodsport, when I was very young. (it's corny, but hey)

So then since I've studied about it.

Now I only knew about Muay Thai since 2004. But I thought it was some of the coolest stuff ever.

Now which do I think I would be better at, and which I would love more.

I think I might be better at Kickboxing, because I don't think I could ever take blows into the stomach and face from knees and elbows.

I think I might love Kickboxing more, but I've never done Muay Thai so I don't know.