Question

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by mystik, Mar 14, 2007.

1. mystik

mystik In for a challenge

Why does everyone call our style a pussy style? Why would it be a pussy style? Who says we can't use our high kicks in a street fight? This is just a question i've been wondering for awhile. What's so bad about our style?

2. gornex

gornex Valued Member

No one is saying you can't use high kicks in a street fight, it just would probably be a bad idea because the guy would probably knock you down and kick you in the face.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Do you do a semi-contact version of TKD?

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

it's not practical to kick high in a street fight unless you have lightning fast kicks and a great defense

5. mystik

In my tae kwan do we usually only do light contact sparring.

Well if I was to get knocked to the ground i'd be sure to either spring back up or use my jujitsu. I was just wondering this because alot of people say that TKD is a horrible style. I don't know what other reasons would there be that would make this style bad. Your right its probably better to use like rib kicks and such.

6. Moi

Then you have answered your own question, to a full contact martial artist semi/light contact sucks.

7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Because cats use it to knock the snot out of dogs, see I have proof: :D

Attached Files:

8. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Weeeeelllllllll.............

9. mystik

well I understand that much but, after class usually my teacher will teach me the correct way to do a strong kick. The reason we don't do full contact because there is people like me, who are reasonably bigger than the others. I guess thats the only reason.

10. Moi

We have super heavyweights training next to 50kilo women, all full contact, unless it's one against the other, then it's defending only for the big guy.

11. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

There is nothing wrong with the style. Don't worry about it. Focus on technique and getting better. In TKD we have certain rules to ensure our longevity in the activity. Furthermore our rules promote development of certain skills. Kicking below the belt, for example, is very powerful and effective. By keeping kicks above the belt, however, you allow people a 'safety net' to develop the skill of high kicking. Otherwise people only develop the low kick. If you look at many of the professional guys who are known for their high kicks they come from some sort of traditional background and later transferred into MT/MMA/what have you.

If you want to do something like MT in the future nothing you learn in TKD will hold you back. In my 20s, when I was young and dumb, I made the transition to MT. I was shocked at how far ahead of the game I was and how well I transitioned. A friend of mine who also started doing it did amateur matches and won nearly all of them. He had years of training in TKD and like a month of training in MT and demolished Maurice Smith's student in an amateur match. That is Mo Smith the former UFC champion.

A lot of it is athletic ability. My friend is/was a natural athlete. You take a natural athlete and teach him good technique and he is going to excel.

One of the reasons TKD has a bad reputation is that there are many people in TKD that don't have a lot of athletic ability. Our style promotes safety so that these individuals can participate. Plus you have mixed classes where anyone from 10 years old to the middle-aged are participating. Again there is nothing wrong with this. In fact it is the natural progression of things. Even the athletic stud ages and becomes the middle-aged guy trying to get a good workout without injuring themselves. There are many people that are part of our greater school who are in their 50s/60s now. They talk about the days when everyone was male and in their 20s/30s and people used to basically get into fights in class. Because of clashing egos they'd be blasting each other and our Korean Master would just let them. Especially if a new guy had an attitude problem he'd let the higher ranks give them an attitude adjustment.

But, as they say with a laugh now, "Now I'm too old for that crap." Even our korean master is too old for that kind of attitude!!! :)

If you have good athletic ability and become a good technician your ability will transfer into any other kind of standup you have interest in. Groundwork, however, is another story. There you have to start at ground zero!!! This coming from a 4th degree blackbelt who has been submitted (and still gets submitted by the higher ranks) regularly. :D

12. mystik

awesome thanks man :D that heightens my spirit on my style. Thanks for the input and it kind of does suck that there are younger kids there, i'm the oldest one lol and im 18. I would definitely love to train in MT also but at the moment this is all I can get :D. Thanks again :D

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Every style has deficiencies. TKD's is if you go to the ground, your toast. Don't worry about it and enjoy your art.

14. mystik

yeah :D thats why I cross train in jujitsu :p

15. Because the majority of TKD practitioners have no clue atall about fighting.
    But hey. At least they know some important figures in Korean history, can recite some really cool sounding words and have a blackbelt.

*GOOD* Taekwon-Do should look like Kyokushin Karate.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Almost.

*GOOD* Kyokushin should look like *GOOD* Taekwon Do.

Except our guard would be better. :D

Mitch

17. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Actually you both got it wrong. Good TKD should look like Rag competition highlights. :)

I quite enjoyed it Shaun. Some good action in there.

18. mystik

The highlight was cool and all there is only one thing I could complain about was the punches turned into windmill punches but other than that the kicks were nice :D and well thought out and what not

19. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Hmm.. but what came first.. chicken or egg!! :rolleyes:

20. Moi

The egg. At some stage a bird like creature laid a dodgy egg, that grew into a chicken, common sense really.