Question? What is everyones' opinion on UFC?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by neo_opt, Jan 6, 2004.

1. neo_opt

neo_opt New Member

UFC

Ultimate Fighting Championship

The most brutal sport Ive ever seen and actually like
    you put two guys inside an Octagon and they kick the tar out of each other and beat them into submission.

You do have to admit that these guys have real talent and have had to work there butts off to be able to compete at this level.

Plese give me imput on what you think!

neo

2. Adam

Adam New Member

It can be amusing to watch, however I don't like the hitting people on the ground rule (not very sporting), I don't like the no-headbutting rule and they also have a tendency to become somewhat tedious to the casual observer with all the laying-on-top-of-one-another-like-mating-seals stuff. I've seen some very entertaining and enlightening UFC fights though.

3. neo_opt

neo_opt New Member

Yeah some of the fights are really good and I will admit some do look like mating seals.

They do spend to much time on the mat. I really wish they would allow headbutting though.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I've seen a couple fights. Most of them ended up with the big guy being on top of the little guy and pounding on him.

PL

5. stump

stump Supersub

Poop Loops, check out Butterbean V Genki Sudo...

The UFC started out as an experiment and developed into a pretty good VT format. There are practically no single style fighters in the octagon anymore...those that are get punished.

It's getting a bit too much like WWE though in it's presentation...personally I prefer Pride or the local UK shows.

But total respect for the guys that get in there.....Vale Tudo and the UFC is without doubt the most exciting form of combat sport.

Adam how can you reconsile not liking them punching each other on the ground and then not like the idea that they don;t have headbutts?

6. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

i have only seen 2 matches and i dont intend to watch it again. i'll assume these matches were bad examples of the "brutal" "skill" you people speak of. they looked like mating rituals rather than fights. no real grapples, hardly any blows

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

It is supposed to be no holds barred I thought. But then the states got involved and don't they have lots of rules now? While they are some pretty awesome physical specimens, don't they seem like one step up from a street brawl? I mean whats the purpose of it. Just curious.

8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I have about 5 dvds. Cannot get enough of it. I only wish I could find somewhere convenient enough to learn it. As for the ground work, even though I have never done a grappling style (read a few books though) :) I can see exactly what they are trying to go for, so I am sure they re a great educational resouce. <----- Think I could do with learning how to spell first though lol :))

9. stump

stump Supersub

As I mentioned kwajman it started out as a style v style experiment. When they came to the conclusion you needed a good bit of everything if you wanted to win there was no need to experiment with style v style anymore.

And MMA became the way

10. Adam

Adam New Member

Headbutts = cool and damaging, would change the entire guard game and seal-mating aspect of the fight as keeping somebody in your guard for too long would get you headbutted to death.

Ground and pound = dull to watch, against my convictions(you don't hit people lying down), fight often becomes a game of "who can sit on top of the other guy the and hit him in the face" the most. Submissions are the coolest aspect of UFC.

11. stump

stump Supersub

12. stump

stump Supersub

<<<Headbutts = cool and damaging, would change the entire guard game and seal-mating aspect of the fight as keeping somebody in your guard for too long would get you headbutted to death.>>>

Headbutts did not change fights as much as you may think. People covered up more that's true but there was no major changes. Ken shamrock headbutted Gracie for 36 minutes and did little more than give the guy a busted eye. THey took them out for aesthetic reasons....personally I'd prefer to see them still in there too

13. Adam

Adam New Member

Really? I stand corrected :)

14. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

UFC? Never heard of it.;)

15. totality

totality New Member

i find the use of quotes around the word skill rather offensive. i mean, aren't you a kung fu practicioner? ;)

ufc is ok, but i really prefer pride. never been a big fan of cages, i've been in a ring since i was 10 :D

16. Topher

Topher allo!

Like to watch it, but am not really intrested in taking up MMA.

I heard Mike Tyson signed with UFC or Pride as is gonna fight Bob Sapp soon.

Can a boxer really make it in MMA?

17. totality

totality New Member

k1, actually, and it's a kickboxing match.

and a pure boxer would most likely not make it mma, although one who crosstrains would stand a very good chance.

18. Trent Tiemeyer

I prefer the ring also, Totality. It tends to prevent stalling.

Sometimes.

19. totality

totality New Member

any preference on rules, ufc vs. pride?

i'm a big chute boxe fan, and i really like the allowance of kicks to the head while your opponent is on the ground.

20. Trent Tiemeyer

I like Pride's knees to the head, and the UFC's elbows. I guess I prefer the IVC.:)