Question (Ranking Systems)

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by punong_guro, Aug 7, 2005.

1. StknDecuerdas

StknDecuerdas New Member

To me the FMA Heritage is not just Stick and blades. To me, Fluid movement, practical application, adaptability, and being traditionally progressive is very escrima. That, to me, is the Filipino martial culture.

Whatever characteristics a particular system has, minus "supreme killing" techniques, can be taught to new students(namely children). I've read on this very forum tha some FMA instructors don't like to teach kids because theirs is a killing art. I understand that and i respect that. But i don't think the gentleman who originated this thread has kids who face armed assailants and wild animals everyday. They face bullies, abusive adults, and the like. Likewise, those kids are not(and legally so) armed with anything but a pen or pencil, maybe a protractor. And to those killers out there, would yu kill and out of control and drunk relative outright, if he attacked you? How about an angry wife with a frying pan(or butcher knife) in hand, who is just not thinking right at the moment? I'm sure FMAs has less leathal and more leagal means of answering those questions(locks, throws, evasion, pressure points...)Ther has got to be more in the FMAs than just kill, kill, kill. In fact, i know there is. And it is that non-lethal reprotoire that can be taught to kids and new adults without comprimising the integrity of the FMAs.

And WHY NOT show weapons, other martial arts are able to do it. " oh well, that's all show". Maybe to a great extent, but i bet you that most of those kids in those demos on TV have great body mechanics, coordination, strength, agility, timing,...-they might just not know how to "finish" someone, but all of that is just below the surface for another time.

Personally, i would love to see an FMA school win a weapons cometition with a carenza. Done right, a carenza is beautiful, much like a silat kembangen. I saw an older filipino practitioner do carenza on video and I was amazed. Every move was fluid, tight, and with intent. It can be done.

FMAs have the potential to put out a significantly more effective product than other asian arts. There is no reason why FMA schools cannot maintain street/combat effectiveness while balancing commercial success(maybe not Ernie Reyes numbers, but then again, maybe so). FMA are just as capable of success as their counterparts.

JDB in STK,CA

2. Allan I

Allan I New Member

Oooops

wrong thread...sorry..

3. Allan I

Allan I New Member

regarding belts

A belt is something I wear to keep my pants on.
    -Bruce Lee

4. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Innovations must benefit All

I am okay with innovations done with FMA, including teaching kids. I think it can be done. However, any innovation must be done so that ultimately it will benefit everyone, including the future generations. FMA started as part of our folk arts. I'd hate to see our own people and masters disenfranchised by some scheming entrepreneurs who have registered an art and made it their exclusive property. Already, we have robbers steal what rightfully belongs to us. Nata de coco, for example, which is a type of food, is prepared using folk recipes; then, some Japanese tried to copyright it. The balisong, also known in the West as the Filipino butterfly knife, is also copyrighted in the US. The balisong was invented in the Batangas province, and making it is a cottage industry. Some of the senior students of some deceased masters have lost their 'right' to carry on their art's name because some wise guy had it registered exclusively to their name. I can go on and on and on... I just don't know where all of this is leading us.

5. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

geez, i haven't been on the forums lately since i don't have a working computer at home.

for the ladies, i would suggest mini skirts so that the guys get distracted when the ladies have their skirts lifted. :p

-nico-

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

**sigh**

too true. btw, the japanese paid one guy a small fortune to show them how it's made. talk about selling your country down the drain.

7. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

fair enough for me :love: