Question on Terry Wingrove

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, Jul 10, 2011.

1. alanplatt

alanplatt Valued Member

What a Wally you sound, so full of it, it must come out both ends the same colour..........IMHO. Talk it, is it...........

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Keep it civil please. holyheadjch is entitled to hold an opinion and you're free to disagree, but hold off on the insults.

3. alanplatt

alanplatt Valued Member

What you need is a wake up call. Students like me learn life is worth protecting, Protecting in the real world not form some Wally likely not worth a toss but from our complacent selves.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Care to level that "real world" accusation at me?

Think VERY carefully before you start a meaningless flame war over what is a POV disagreement between you and Holy

5. alanplatt

alanplatt Valued Member

The man is an antagonist and needs a slap ;) Been there, seen it done it.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

So , you consider decking a compliant uke a wake up call ?

7. Hannibal

countdown in 10, 9, 8, 7......

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

So with that in mind do you believe that you are better equipped to deal with real world confrontations because you have taken hits from your sensei?

I have/teach a very direct style. I can't exactly headbutt someone close in when demonstrating a move, but it is plain to see the intent and power without the actual strike.

9. alanplatt

alanplatt Valued Member

VERY? OK ;) Don't go there it hurts !

10. Hannibal

So is that you levelling it or not?

Not to stir the pot but you have shown no class at all in what is essentially a civil observation - if that is what you have learned from your art you can keep it.

11. alanplatt

alanplatt Valued Member

I keep it but it's not a secret

12. Hannibal

I think you may have calmed so Ok lets go from here

Seriously my friend just relax because there are people on here who have experienced far more than you can imagine and willy size contests avail nought

13. Simon Keegan

Simon Keegan Valued Member

With regards to the Koryu question.

I'm not the best qualified to answer this, but what the hell...

Terry Sensei does not teach a specific Koryu nor does he advertise his courses as Koryu. What I mean by that is, he doesn't say he's teaching Yagyu Shingan Ryu, or Kito Ryu or Kanga Ryu or whatever.

What he teaches as far as I can tell is the best, most effective techniques that he has learnt in 50 plus years of training with some of the world's most senior masters.

Now since he teaches for self defence (i.e Jutsu) rather than sport (i.e Do) what he teaches has more in common with old style martial arts of Japan and China, rather than the modern Budo.

He isn't the kind of person to teach a technique just because it's been handed down for 500 years - he teaches whatever works.

Now it just so happens that what works was taught to him by masters of various Koryu, whether it was Sato Kimbei in Yawara, Hideo Sonobe in Jiki Shinkage Ryu or Morihei Ueshiba who I'm told dabbled in Daito Ryu...

The point is, don't get bogged down in whether it's Koryu (he doesn't), what matters is whether or not it's effective.

Somebody made the suggestion that they don't need to be punched in the nose to know it hurts, that's because everybody knows that hurts! I've seen Terry hold down a nation Judo champion using his big toe! That kind of thing needs to be demonstrated in order to be qualified.

14. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

I have also trained with Terry on numerous occasions and I dont deny people get bruised and hurt in his seminars but I have never once seen a serious injury. Every one at his classes knows what to expect when they train with him. I do notice those knocking him have not trained with him. I do suggest you go a long to one of his seminars and train with him. You will find as has been said he will answer all questions and has the kind of knowledge that most martial artist craves for. He also does have a very good sense of humour which I have felt a few times. It does seem pointless people questioning what he does if they have not felt what he does. Less sitting on here having a go and more going along to one of his seminars!

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't think we are questioning his skill or knowledge, but we are questioning the amount of force used on lower grade students and if that force is really necessary.

16. alanplatt

alanplatt Valued Member

My MAP friend, I'm more relaxed than you will ever be or any other free willy you can mention, more than you could ever imagine. I've been on the front line and the bad side of most keyboard warriors, many times, so your little quips are like water off a ducks back. In fact the conclusion is always the same, "You have you opinion I have mine". My ego is calm, is yours? Xx

Take care, I'll leave you to ponder yourself.

17. Hannibal

Wow - even an olive branch is rejected....pure class

18. Simon Keegan

Kubotans are nothing til you've been battered by Alan wielding an oliver branch - it's the ultimate secret weapon!

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I've upset people and for that I'm sorry, since, on this occasion, that wasn't my intention.

It is absolutely clear that Terry Wingrove is a phenomenal martial artist. I seriously doubt anyone would disagree with that.

I have not trained with him, and will not, because I believe his training methods are misguided, just as he believes and states that the training methods of others are misguided.

What I do know, is that I have trained with many of the most senior instructors in the UK (and more than a few from Japan) in both Karate and Judo and not one of them has ever felt the need to cause me more physical pain than was absolutely necessary and not one of them has ever held a lock for so much as a second after I've tapped. I don't think my training would have been accelerated by my taking more bruises and broken bones than I have - and my training has provided more than enough of those, thank you. If any of you disagree, then fine - horses for courses and all that.

Some of you might put me down as an arm chair warrior - well, whatever, t'aint no skin off my nose.

20. Simon Keegan

opinions

Why don't you train with him and see for yourself then you can make a more informed judgement instead of hearsay? I'm not that fond of pain, and I enjoyed his seminars and learnt a lot and more recently one of my senior students attended one of his courses and really enjoyed it too.

Most of Terry's seminars feature other top instructors such as Patrick McCarthy, Alan Ruddock, Tino Ceberano, Dennis Hanover, Morio Higaonna and Bruce Miller so if what Terry teaches isn't to your taste, you can try something else, but at least you'll have tried it.