Question for Fencers/Rapier swordsman....Any Tips For Me?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Archibald, May 21, 2006.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hi guys!

In a few weeks time, a friend of mine (whom i train Jujitsu with) are performing an experiment re; Rapier vs. Katana.

He has 9 years of fencing behind him and is using a tipped paul chen Rapier.

I have 2.5 years of Kenjutsu behind me....I am using a bokken, and wearing one of my mate's fencing masks.

Despite the training time difference, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what the best way to go about playing against him? We've done this before, both using Shinai, and i found circular entries to be the best bet, but now things may change as he has the proper length advantage, so....any advice?
    The rules are basically that of a "fight to the end duel", ie extensive grappling is allowed, and unless i was wearing gloves (which i wont be, for realism sake) I wouldn't be able to grab his blade.

And before anyone asks, we are doing this all in good fun. The two of us have enormous respect for both styles, we just thought it would be interesting to see what works, what doesnt, advantages/disadvantages of each weapon etc etc.

If you feel like departing any knowledge then I'd be very grateful :love:

2. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Actually, with traditional rapiers you can in fact grab the blade. Rapiers are made for thrusting and thrusting only, so only the end is the sharp point. The shaft of the sword itself is actually in most cases quite dull, you can read all about this in the excellent book "Renaissance Swordsmanship." There was actually many grappling techniques against a rapier too, some of which are shown here.

[​IMG]

This is an excellent article on what a rapier is and how it was used: http://www.thearma.org/Youth/rapieroutline.htm

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Wow, some awesome info there, thanks Koto Ryu :)

I reconise the joint lock shown in that picture which once again confirms my theory that the West and the East fought in very similar ways.

Thanks very much, i greatly appreciate it :)