Question about retiring / closing named accounts:

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Hissatsu, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

For the record the following is the statement that Hissatsu is on about:

And the reason it was put in a locked thread is because it is not an issue that is up for debate. It is MAP policy and was posted in an attempt to end the constant to and fro bitching about names in the Ninjutsu forum.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Appealing to authority is in general a poor defense anyways in many respects.

I could argue that because I never see Master Smith, Ultra Black Belt in Street Karate, kick high then that's because high kicks don't work in Street Karate. Meanwhile, maybe Master Smith just has a bad hip or isn't that flexible and can't kick high in general. This is simply going off of what you observe and not what they say.

Or, in some cases what they say may be taken out of context. Sifu Smith may be teaching one of his black sashes the dreaded "Monkey Plucks the Peach" technique and, since he only speaks Chinese and the student is not a native Chinese speaker, something may get lost in translation. Therefore now the student thinks "Ah! I know it!" and argues with others over his own misinterpretation.

That appeal may also be outdated, or based on old information. If Sensei Smith is an Aikido monster and tells everyone "this is how you do it", of course people are going to listen. But Sensei Smith is learning himself, and now he finds out a better way and tells the next group of people "No, this is right." Now you have two sides warring over which side has the "real" Aikido.

Appeals to authority are no guarantee that what you claim is correct, or even true. You have to train and see it for yourself.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Primarily it's due to my profession, but you never know what kind of crazy people out there could be looking for you. My behind does look nice in a pair of jeans, and there is a rugged sex appeal to me thanks to my flannel shirts. Who wouldn't want to stalk a handsome devil like myself?

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No, TKD trumps karate due to the evolutionary principle.

Plus, whilst no master, I is third dan, innit :D not sure what of mind...

Mitch

5. Mitch

Hey, my continental brother in sexiness! i did wonder how the ladies over the pond endured without The Mitch to look after them; I see you got that covered. Kudos my man, Kudos.

Mitch :D

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Oops! :bow1:

7. Mitch

Hah! Your first dan blocks and strikes felt pretty damn solid to me, even though I was only a lowly 2nd dan at the time :D

Mitch

8. Frodocious

:love: Consider yourself on my stalking list! :love:

Mmmm, jeans and flannel shirt - I love the rugged look! :love:

9. Mitch

Does it count if I pair jeans and flannel with a flabby look?

Mitch

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've got it covered my friend. The ladies swoon for the lumberjack look.

Sorry, but Mrs. Kuma already got me. I'd be worried about her anyways. I don't even like to mess with her.

As rugged men, we don't need six pack abs. We prefer the term "muscle bellies."

11. Frodocious

You might be better sticking to the miniskirt!

True that!

Damn it! I was about to propose! (Don't tell Mitch, though!) :evil: :D

12. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

This thread smells. You need the advantages anonymity brings? And you compare that to the "benefits" that unnamed people have over you? People have no power over you that you don't already give them. Ergo, if you don't have a bunch of crap associated with your name that people can research on then you don't have anything to worry about. And if you do, then maybe you should think of addressing some of those failings people might be able to bring up rather than change your display name.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - Lumber jack song[/ame]

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I'm of two minds about anonymous. One, there is one forum where I hope they never find out who I am because I've been harassed and cyber bullied over there, luckily i used a fake name and email and username on that forum. That was when i wasnt too sure about internet back then.

But since then I figured out its ok to be real on the net and still protect yourself. and from then on all forums I've gone to I've used my real name, Jacklyn, and where I live. Of course I like Blade96, TomasHolmstrom96, and HolmstromScreens as usernames. But I never minded saying my name's Jacklyn. Including here and on the forum Manga named, MartialTalk (i post there all the time) Like Mitch said, that guy who was a douchecanoe to Don in the ninjutsu forum is anonymous and came off as still a jerk while Don is real and has a nice rep.

Of course if that's how people are on that forum i can see why some would wanna be anonymous LOL!

I dont post my facebook on forums though. If people want that they have to pm me and ask (as Aikiwolfie did)

Hissatsu, don't try to be anonymous. I'd say keep your account. If people are harassing you, they're the douchecanoes, not you. You shouldnt feel you have to hide. The nice people of MAP wouldnt want people to go feeling like that. They offer anonymous but they dont want people feeling like they have to be. The mods also keep people from being harassed. Unlike the other forum long ago where I had to be anonymous because thew expletive mods didnt care about me and werent doing their jobs in fact they joined in with the bullies by banning me when i tried to defend myself. Here, I feel free to be me, just Jacklyn and little Bladey, all sweetness that I am. :)

Fir the record I have added people from map to my facebook including a mod or two. :) And I never have been treated badly on here. By anyone. Like I said someone treats you bad They're the jerks. You shouldnt have to hide.

and Frodo, btw you better not let Moi catch you saying that to Kuma lol, or you will break his heart! :p

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  15. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

You are taking the internet too seriously. I can't hide that I'm from/living in America (present assignment excluded) due to past posts. What you are talking about only works for new people...and then I don't care where they SAY they are..if they are trying to prove some epic point, they are going to have to have documentation to back it up..or look like an azzhat like the guy in your 'example'.

16. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Fixed for ya! :cool: