qualifications?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by jamie1976, Apr 19, 2007.

1. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

i'm thinking of begining a disabled class at my club but im not really sure how to go about it? i understand about the syllabus i'll be teaching from must be different for each students abilities but im not 100% sure on what sort of qualifications im going to need? is there any special coach quals? or any requirement for extra insurance? would it be a good idea to learn basic sign language? thanx for any help.

jamie :woo:

2. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Is this your first time in teaching?

I'm not a Instructor or a professional MAist. But I could imagine that it's gonna be hard and a bit frustrating for the first time. You're looking at people who are going to learn differently, and learn at a different pace. You would definately probably need at least 3 to 4 people to help ya out. Also depending on the size of the classes. You may also need to install a voice intercom system to project your voice all around so students would be able to hear you. If there was a deaf person, I think there would be a translator already working with the deaf student. It would also be good to maybe get a few lessons on the basic sign language as well, also even get some education on how to teach with a blind person (I won't even know how to teach them if they are blind). With the physically disabled I'm not too sure depends on what body parts they could function with. A legless person doing TKD, would be pointless. But the legless person could do Aikido, Ju Jitsu, Kendo, etc.

With the qualifications all I think you need is the certification that you are able to teach. I don't know about the kind of insurance that is recommended.

Anyway that's all what I could give ya, goodluck on starting with your school. :)

There's more people that you can talk to that are starting up schools and such too.

Umm make a private message to Sgt_Major, to move this (qualifications?) thread to, the topic: "Discussion on Schools and Teachers."

A lot more people that are teachers will give you more feedback and steps to prepare.

Anyway take care :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

4. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Don't you suppose that it could be placed in the teacher and school topic as well? It applies to both it looks like, except that you're "only" teaching "disabled" people. I also figure more people would respond to it if it was in that topic. If the word "disabled" wasn't used then would it be more applicable? I kind of see no difference. People are just people, I have a learning disability. Many people are disabled in different way, mental or physical. What if you ended up teaching with a person with a physical disability? Would he or she be able to go to your class vs. a person who has an learning disablity or no disablities at all?

Well only depending on the teacher. I would think it would be fair for those who are disabled could participate in training.

Teachers anyways, must be aware and informed that most people have disablities and that they are in their classes currently for those who are teaching.

Besides the more replies the better, even more better without the backlash too.

5. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Re-Post On Teaching HTH

I currently teach on average 15 disabled people a week. MA training for people with disabilities requires you to be able to customize everything you teach to suit each persons abilities. Your warm up exercises will even vary from person to person. Also, you have to consider rather or not you can adapt the techniques of your art for them, while retaining the effectiveness. I refuse to turn my classes into a feel good fest. I figure if all my students wanted was another thing to make them feel good about themselves, there are other things they can do. At the end of the day MA should keep you in good mental and physical shape, and you should be able to use it effectively if need be. To short cut any of these three requirements is IMO a disservice to the student and the arts. I will do my best to answer specific training questions regarding my experiences with various types of disability if I can be of service. Peace and happy training.

6. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

thanx guys for the replies. i've been teaching a small class for a few months now mainly kids and take some parts of lessons and groups when sifu is teaching and there are lots of different grades at class im in the army as you can see from my pic and somtimes do little bits with the lads but again im thinking of starting a proper class at work too, just to give you a bit more of an idea of what im doing i'll give some more info. The MA i teach is chinese grappleing and i have a reasonable amount of boxing experiance, our chinese grappleing syllabus consist's of a mixture of shoalin kung fu and chinese kickboxing for the stand up aspect and different techniques from grappleing arts such as judo ,bjj and roman greco wrestling for our ground and take down aspects, my club offers kung fu and chinese kickboxing lessons i've spoke to one of the instructors from these other MA's my club offers and two of the other instuctors have said they would like to be involved with these lessons the other two instructors have a little more experiance with teaching than me me and have been doing their MA a bit longer too. hopfully this extra info will be a help with this thread.

jamie :woo: