Put on your troubleshooting hats.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cain, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

My freind's got a prob. Formatted his HDD a week ago, reinstalled winxp. Eeverything went fine except for one thing.......one major thing.

Most proggys like visual basic/AVG etc give out an error that there's no disk in drive A....I mean WTF?

Also help and support center does'nt start, the service is shown in task manager but it just looks for a floppy ie the lights there and then does nothing...

I checked the registery through all areas I am familiar with and stopped unneeded services but the prob persists.....any suggestions/places to look other than re-installing?

Thanx,

|Cain|

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Check he's got the drive letter's assigned properly? You could try re-installing the problem programs too, rather than the whole OS.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Come on Cain, your the computer dude here, and your asking us? :D

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I spilled orange juice on my lap tops key pad and now the key's wont work :(

My mom is bound to kick me off her computer and out of her house afer a while..............:D

5. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

If it was a fresh install, try installing it again first. Have you popped the cover off to check connections on the floppy, or even just replaced / removed the drive?

For the keyboard: Try putting rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and misting it over the keyboard. Let it air dry. It's worked every time I've done it, though you might need to do it a couple times.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Don't think the prob's with the drive I mean why does it look for the drive in the first place? ;)

I will try KG's suggestion and make sure he's got all the drive letters and jumpers for his HDD/CD/FDD correct....

Me no computer dude, just a bit of geekiness here and there :Ange:

|Cain|

7. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

It doesn't look like he's formatted the drive, only over-installed.

Those programs that aren't working:
    Are they newly installed?
    Or is he just using them (left over) from the previous OS? (which seems to be the case).

He needs to re-install the programs that are not working -fully.

If that doesn't fix it, he needs to format the drive. Then install XP fresh.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Well that's what he did ie formatted his HDD after which the prob came up, as a last resort I am thinking of reinstalling windoze again....

|Cain|

9. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Cain - does the floppy drive work at all?

I'd try formatting a boot disk on another machine, stick it in the machine and switch it on. If it boots up onto the floppy, chances are the floppy drive is OK. If it doesn't work, you know it is hardware related and not the fault of XP.

Assuming it works :
    Do you get these messages if there is a disk in the drive? Perhaps you just have a recent document path set to A:\ somewhere.

10. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

a recent document on a: carrying over from a crash or a: in the search path??

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

A registry search for A:\ may reveal something

12. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Rubbing alcohol? I'll try it when I get back to my place.....

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Did exactly that. :eek:

Nothing came up surprisingly, have yet to confirm all drives are setup properly, I forgot to mention he had taken his HDD over to another of my mate's houseto get a backup and then format......I hope to solve the culprit today...

|Cain|

14. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

I've known this problem before, in that case it was due to a shortcut either on the start menu or desktop pointing to A:

Another thing to check is the TEMP (TMP) environment variable or the PATH are pointing to A:

Do the following:
    Start
    Run
    CMD

At the command prompt enter the following command

SET <press enter>

This will list the current environment settings, check the PATH, TEMP & TMP lines.