Put Dates On Website Info ... Please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kosh, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Does anyone else find it annoying that very little information on the internet is ever dated. Even things like software updats pages have no dates. You find information but it could be 10 years old and you wouldnt know. Many sites have "last updated..." but i mean individual documents.

To anyone creating web content...please...

PUT DATES ON STUFF!!!!

2. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I agree dude.

This response was created at 11:30 hrs and 36 secs (according to my clock) on Wednesday 1st June 2005. Whilst sat in my kitchen any typed using 6 fingers.

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Likewise it can be frustrating trying to figure out how relevant documents are....

01/06/05, 11:50:45 GMT

;)

4. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

Am in the process of implementing a Content Management System at work and it can automatically do this :)

5. Sgt_Major

Is that a lot of work? Or couple lines code?

6. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

Implementing the CMS is loads of work. Datestamping content having imp'd is a doddle.

7. Sgt_Major

Yeah the Timestamp would be easy enough. What does the CMS actually do

8. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

In broad terms, a CMS divorces how a site looks from what a site says.

So in my context, we're tyring to implement a system whereby admin / techie type staff create templates covering the technical standards, basic layout & design of the site.

The CMS then allows non-techie staff to upload content without a skill-set equivalent to Word or basic Desktop PC usage.

This forum is essentially a CMS, albeit one which has been customised to focus on threaded discussion.