push hands competition.

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by cloudz, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

:D

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Its not the sunshine.. its a halo :Angel:

Hallelujah!!!

3. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Not too sure if it is Chi or a halo - doubt it.

He also told me he got hairy palms from emmiting his Jin. I am thinking he forgot a 'g' at the end of his trained force...

4. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

OOOO at last, a thread about ME!!

Yes, I'm bald

Yes I have hairy palms.

5. piratebrido

Ach, we still love you despite all that!

6. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

But But But....I only grow stronger if you all hate me.

7. piratebrido

We will defeat you with love.

[​IMG]

I really need to hit someone tonight!

8. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

I agree with Richardni, if ur doing tai chi strength shouldn't matter. If it did, even at the British Tai Chi Championship, then they're not really doing it right.
    How do you think old thin tai chi masters with no muscle manage to throw around big musclular men with no chi?

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

By the power of cooperation of course!

I really don't see why this is so difficult.

Ok, the rules don't say that you have to use strength.

In fact the rules make use of force harder to do.

If you are using force as your only method, its because your skill has failed.

If your skill had failed, you should not go back and train in a way that will not let you test your skill and lets you maintain the fantasy that 'if they were doing it right I could beat them with no force'.

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

They can't! I'm sorry but alot of the stories of old chinese masters are just propaganda. I know it's hard to swallow but when you get old, you start to slow down and you lose your strength. Experience will compensate for a little but the fact is you won't be an effective a fighter as a younger man.

The Bear.

11. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

I trained with a Karate and Ju Jutsu teacher caller Terry Wingrove last year I believe he is well into to his 60s and if that is slow I wish I was that slow :)

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

And I bet if you asked him he would say he isn't as strong or a fast as he used to be.

The Bear

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I heard that Helio was going ready to fight in UFC1 (dispite being 103 years old) but his bus pass had expired and he was late so Royce jumped in :D

14. moononthewater

Also trained with Reme Presas senior (not sure I spelt his name right). He was getting on a bit but put a stick in his hand and it felt like training with a teenager. Though to be honest cannot be sure of his age at the time. Think it was about 2 years before he died.

15. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Imagine what he must have been like in his prime.

16. moononthewater

Instead of imagining him in his prime I spent a day playing with him along with quite a few others and watched him in the flesh doing what he did best and alot of the older teachers I have trained with would probably tell you they are in their prime :)

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You worried about your age Moon?

The Bear.

18. piratebrido

If I live to my fifties and sixties I hope to be smacking up young punks who want to tango with me.

Geeze, there is a 70 year old in Judo who chokes out out white belts to 3rd dans with glee. Groundwork though, he isn't climbing in the ring to box people.

19. moononthewater

Actually Polar Bear I am not as worried as you seem to be worried about it. Also if you are worrying about my age Im touched by your kindness :)

Ps I could also mention Gary Spiers who was a fine figure of a man and getting on a bit who also could kick ass....

20. cullion

cullion Valued Member

I'm not sure where this debate is going. Does anybody disagree with the following points ? :-

1) The atheletic prime (in terms of raw physical attributes) for a bloke varies by event (i.e. whether it's to do with strength, speed, injury recovery, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility etc..), but in the vast majoirty of people everything is in decline to some degree by the late 30s, and some things (speed and flexibility in particular) start to slip a bit in the mid-late 20s.

2) Some combat sports competitors have been known to keep going to a decent level well into their 40's, and Dan Severn was still fighting this year at 52, but sadly, there comes a point in this decline where good technique and experience can't compensate any more, no matter what sort of training you do. As Brido pointed out, there's a good reason why you don't see 70 year olds boxing competitively.