Punching PSI

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Punchy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

I searched the forum but got no posts so I thought I would ask.

Does anyone know of any sources of info about how hard boxers punch as measured by Pounds Per Square ince (PSI), using a machine to measure the punching power?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Way too many variables (i.e. weight, skill, speed, etc.). I do remember on Fight Science they had a boxer strike the dummy and registered right around 1000 PSI for a rear straight, the highest of all the other practitioners that tried (including karate, TKD, kung fu, and MT).

3. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

plus he was a nobody boxer and they where all world champions etc..

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yes, definately proffesional boxers punch harder than anyone else. Anyone who disagrees has not been hit by a good boxer.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Professional morris dancers punch harder than anyone else. Anyone who disagrees has not been hit by a good morris dancer.

[​IMG]

6. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

If the Morris dance was about punching people the face and the dancer was doing it for a living i would say this is a good analogy.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The analogy was to demonstrate that my statement is not falsifiable and neither was Simon's. You cannot disprove my statement as I could always claim that you hadn't met the right morris dancer, same goes for the earlier statement.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Matt Pain at Loughborough has done stuff along those lines. From memory he did a thing on Blue Peter a few years ago and there's a youtube video floating around of him with David Haye.

He supervised a study in 04/05 where he measured the impact of a group of martial arts students. I dont know if the study was ever published (it might have been an undergrad project).

But yeah. People have done stuff like that.

9. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Hi All,

Thank you for the guidance. I have found a video that covers this (possibly the one you mention). Punch impacts are measured using crash dummies and the boxer has the hardest hit. I Googled the boxer and he was a little known fighter with only about 5 fights, so it is interesting that he out punched the other representatives who seem to be high ranking MAs.

The video can be seen at
    http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/782218

There is a lot of rubbish talked about "death punches" etc but the basic information is interesting.

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That's ridiculous-everyone knows morris dancers only strike with sticks, as the holders of the Ancient Techniques of Brythonic Kali....or something.

But we're talking of groups as a whole,not individuals.And the consensus over the decades has been that boxers,generally speaking, hit harder than other pugilistic practitioners, generally speaking.

The burning question now is -Has Moosey met the "right" morris dancer?

Rings on their fingers,and bells on their toes----and lumps on their heads, ho ho!

Nudge,nudge, wink, wink.Know what I mean?

11. Iceman778

Iceman778 Valued Member

yes you are telling right