Punching Power V2.0

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nightcrawlerEX, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Punching Power? This is an interesting post.

I don't think Punching effect has been taken into account.

The post seems a bit one sided with it being the amount of pure power derived from technique and physics. Which seems answered.

I am thinking of 3 punching scenarios. There are blends into each but I'm curious about members thoughts on how punching power versus punching effect perceived, relative to each other.

1st scenario is with an attacker standing still. You punch with your fastest punch, using proper body mechanics, twisting the hips, full extension and contact on the chin with the two knuckles. This should be your most powerful punch that you can generate with your body size and musculature.

2nd scenario is with the attacker stepping toward you and you shuffling or stepping toward him, as you throw your punch, at the same target as before with the same knuckles. Your punch would be a little slower and you wouldn't get full extension or hip rotation. However your body mass is moving forward plus the attacker body mass is moving toward your punch. The combined forces would produce more effect than you could generate on your own.

3rd scenario is that the attacker is on the ground or against a wall. The attacker can not move at all. You are close to him and throw your punch to the same target with the same knuckles. This time you have no, or hardly any, hip rotation, you do not have full extension or follow through with your punch. However the attackers head can not move at all and has to take the full brunt of the punch on the chin with your two knuckles. This time you generated less force than the last two scenarios but the punching force you did generate did not dissipate with the attackers head moving with the blow.

Just some thoughts. :)

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I know I am not the most knowledgeable about physics and mathematics on this board, however I think I can contribute something.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Acceleration given by Velocity 1 - Velocity 2 Divided by Time.

So, look at these elements. A heavier person punches harder, because they have a heavier mass behind them meaning that the proportional effect on an equal or smaller mass is much greater.

E=mv is also applicable, the heavier the mass and the faster its moving the more energy it has, hence more power/damage.

Also, with the first equation you have the velocity element. The faster your punch is the more effect it has also, when you hit at a faster pace it will do more. This explain why thin people can sometimes punch as hard as big people.

Just my thoughts on the matter

3. nightcrawlerEX

nightcrawlerEX Valued Member

Good point.

I think the propper equation in relation to a punch would be something like...

Force = Velocity X Mass

4. yodaofcoolness

yodaofcoolness New Member

Increasing mass or velocity will add power.
    The increase in velocity is called accelleration.

There are different forces acting here.

One is the force the muscles produce.

Another force is calculated by the inertia of the person changing because of the hit. The person's inertia (recieving end) is changed(force) when it meets up with the inertia of the punch.

If I am thinking correctly, inertia is mass and velocity.

The inertia of a punch is what should be considered when trying to figure out the ammount of damage (change in another's intertia, AKA force) that a punch can do.

Speed does not equal power. :rolleyes:
    Power does not equal strength and speed. :rolleyes:
    ... but I think you know this now.
    So when is the Punching Power V3.0 article comming out?... ;)

5. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i have already expressed my displeasure with this thread, but i would like to add this:

fast twitch muscle fibers are responsible for putting out large amounts of force in a short period of time, over a short period of time.

slow twitch muscle fibers are responsible for putting out a small amount of force over a long amount of time.

it's sort of like the difference between sprinting and jogging. sprinting takes a lot of power and is not done for long periods of time, and jogging does not require much power but is done for long periods of time.

when weight lifting, light weights for high reps will activate the slow twitch fibers, while lifting heavy weights activates both fast and slow twitch fibers.

6. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

I think the effort being put in this thread is great, and there is some valuable information..
    But I think we need to take into account regular physics doesn't really "apply" here.
    For example, because we are dealing with biomechanics, we should not be using the formula f=ma. We need to be taking into account everything
    the chain of power (feet->legs->torso->shoulders->arms->wrists), and then account into things like dropping into your shots (see the famous ko dudes and how they punch) and THEN conventional physics like kenetic energy and the like.
    I'm not saying those aren't needed to be looked at, but rather we should look at the little things most people don't notice.

For example..look at the backhook kick.
    In WTF tkd and kyokushin, those suckers cause TONS of KO's...but should we think of it as F=MA in that situation?
    I don't think so, sure the leg is going fast, but I think that the main culprit here for the power is well...torque.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006