Punches

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Sambo Master, Aug 2, 2003.

?

What is Better

1. Boxing

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Tei Boxing

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Kick Boxing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Karate

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Jeet Kune Do

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  6. Tei kwon do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Capoera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

I have just started boxing and i sparred the other day
    i noticed that my punchers are an inch away form the persons face and i flinch a bit

HELP give me some tips

2. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Gorra vote boxing - it's the art of punching isn't it.......so........:)

3. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Step in a little when you punch and don't flinch.

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

To work on your accuracy, you'll need to work on the Floor to Ceiling Ball, so that you get used to hitting a moving target.
    Either in the Boxing gym or you can rig up one in the house if space etc allows.

Alternatively, you can get a light ball and string it up with something like a Bungie cord and punch away at that (Don't punch full power as you'll do yr joints a misery).

In olden days Thai Boxers used to use a Lemon on a cord to work on accuracy, any target that moves being useful for accurate delivery.

Flinching is a natural thing to start, the more you spar and work pads, against anything that hits back, the less you'll flinch and the more you'll bob and weave, slip punches and generally feel calmer in your delivery and less concerned with punches coming at you. Just practice is all.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ok - this has me confused.

You posted two polls - here and in the sub grappling forum - and then asked basically the same question - which is relevant to neither poll?

Seeng as your question is about boxing - I'm moving the other poll here too and locking it.

6. bishu-ronin

bishu-ronin New Member

hello?!!
    turn you hips with your punches.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You are a real fan of the simplistic question, aren't you? Um, a really good piece of advice here would be to train- as in do some sparring.

8. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

;) Surely not?

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

yeah, yeah, well ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer that's what I say...

10. Adam

Adam New Member

I see that the poll says that the punches from Jeet Kune Do are a favourite. Why? How does JKD punching differentiate from boxing, karate etc.?

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

And thats what you gave him...

I voted for boxing, you pretty much train your punches all the time, so as far as punching goes, I'd rate it highly.

Maybe you're subconsciously worried about hurting your opponent, hence you hold back and flinch a bit. Don't. If you don't hurt them, they'll hurt you, so hit them first and don't hold back.

12. JKDfreak

JKDfreak New Member

Firstly hello to everyone,i'm new to this forum,it's a great place!!!
    I never studied boxing,but in JKD we use all our body for the punch rotating our feet,hips.We punch along the centeline,with good external/internal structure and for the advanced ones we use non-intention.We learn to use gravity to our advantage,releasing pressure and punch only by using gravity.Combine it with good reaction time,hip rotation,bow hip power,centerline,poling of the punch,drop step,good retraction speed,follow through,good structure and killer instict (emotions) and you have one of the fastest,most powerful and devastating punch on the planet.
    This is from a JKD point of view and I really don't know how you strike in boxing but i assume that you have to hit hard because boxing is THE punching art!!!!!

13. FISH

FISH New Member

Boxing punches are basically the same but I do prefer the JKD jab.I have mostly taken boxing and the same principles apply.Most of your power comes with follow through,proper footwork,hip movement,and leverage.The JKD jab is generally quicker and more powerful.You can use backfists in martial arts unlike boxing but mix boxing with any martial art and I think it makes it more effective like Bruce did with WC.Sparring is a must like any fighting style to learn range,movement,etc.

14. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

thnx i hav put all this to work

15. SockonString

SockonString Sin Binned Banned

Think of your openents head being behind his head. Punch through to the next head.