Punch combo ideas?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 31, 2013.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

If you are interested in a workout and something to mix it up. I used to do this a few years ago.

Set a 1 minute timer.

roll 2 dice.

Your combination for the workout 1 - dice 1 number - dice 2 number.

Rinse and repeat.

I always started with a jab because Tony Atlas said the jab is king. :)

It will give you some unusual combinations and is a good way to get used to throwing punches from awkward positions. Keeps you from developing habits where you always throw the same thing in the same order.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Iain Abernethy has a great bagwork podcast you can download.
    It mixes in punching, combinations, power shots, kicking, intervals etc.
    I did it a couple of weeks ago by having my hanging punch bag up and my grappling dummy on the floor and varying standing strikes with ground strikes for different rounds.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you want to work on boxing punches and combinations, hit up a boxing gym for a while.

4. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I actually do bob and weave between punches. I stay constantly moving. I practice punching moving in and backing out as well as trying not to stand still while moving in a circle. (hands are always up in guard position between punhes)

The ideas aren't bad though... I will work some of them in. I just would need to put them in where I could make it a fluid series.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Can't... they're all to far away and one of them I was told by my friend that the closest one sucks. He's going to a different one, but lives about 25-30 minutes closer than I do.

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Hmmm, yes, a fluid sequence of strikes is useful, because if you have to pull back so that you can make a hard punch with the same hand, (unless its a jab, those things are fast!) then it kills a precious couple seconds. When instead you throw a right cross, then a left uppercut since your body is already in the position to do so. You can also try this on a more "alive" opponent so that you can judge generally how people react. If you throw a straight into the diaphragm area, most people will bend over from getting winded, and then an uppercut to the chin or throat to catch them while they're still a little stunned.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If you just skim through this thread without reading anything in depth, you would think it's a thread about morse code. :p

Edit:

So to actually contribute to the thread . . . .

If you're throwing combinations beyond 2-3 punches with the intent of learning boxing, you're fooling yourself. You will have no idea what you can and cannot make use of unless you spar. It's great to think you can throw a "jab, lead uppercut, lead hook, cross" until you find out in a sparring match that it's very difficult to land a lead uppercut after a jab, and then you get your whistle cleaned with a counter cross from your opponent when you throw that lead hook.

If you're doing it for fitness, anything works really. To think you'll be able to do it in a fight though, not so much. Not sure what your goal is here from this thread OP.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree with you 100% there.

Many years ago, I saw a TKD group demo. In that demo, there was a "side kick" followed by an "elbow strike". It looks good in the form but whoever created that combo, he had never tested it in "combat".

I just don't see why boxing needed to be used in the fitness. For fitness, you can punch straight up or straight down, it won't make any difference, If you are not doing "combat", the word "opponent" does not exist. The timing, opportunity, angle, power will have no meaning at all.

9. Saved_in_Blood

My feeling is that if I work on anything and everything, it gives me the right muscle development from practice so I am ready to throw any punch possible from any angle. It's sort of like working on everything to be ready from anything. The left uppercut off of the jab isn't "practical" no. It is however a good way for the muscles to develop and more importantly for the brain to make it get sort of ingrained to hopefully become a more natural thing.

I realize that the jabs, straight rights, and hooks would be the most used if it were to come to a street altercation. Speed is key IMO though and so I am just going to use the weights all the time and try to build the speed. I'll add in more 1,1,2's and 1,2,3, etc but keep working on the 4 punch combo's for the exercise part of it.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It might not suck. Worth a look to form your own opinion at the least.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Any combo that has not been tested in combat is not a good combo. You can't just run through the permutation and assume that all combo will have equal combat value. It's not that hard to test it. All you need is just to find a training partner.

12. Saved_in_Blood

Well the trainer shows up when he wants to, they are limited in their equipment, etc. Based on what the guy who is training with him told me, he doesn't even know boxing very well.

13. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Remember that weights pull your arms down instead of pushing them back. Which is what you want to get the most out of your training.

Doing explosive push ups is probably a better way to increase your speed than shadow boxing with weights.

And about the combinations, I'd avoid doing stuff like jab, left hook or left uppercut, left hook. It's a risky thing to do because you're just spending more time with a hole in your guard. Boxers can take advantage of you simply throwing 1 punch, if you're throwing 2 or more punches with the same arm you're basically just putting yourself at risk. It falls into the category of Roy Jones leading with a left hook. It worked for him, but probably won't for most others.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There can be some bad gyms but by training at home by yourself you won't be much better. If boxing is what you want to learn punching from, get to a boxing gym. Otherwise solo training by yourself is only going to do more harm than good. I've trained in boxing for a long time and still develop bad habits that need the gym occasionally to iron out.

15. Saved_in_Blood

I am still waiting to hear from my brother in law who is friends with the guy who is the 3x GG champion. Hopefully I can talk him into working with me at least 1 day a week or so just to work on proper technique if nothing else.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, weights aren't ideal all the time I realize, but gloves also weigh your hands down, and these are 2lb dumbells, and i'm not going over 2 lbs. I don't really need to. Like I said with the jab, left UC, LH, though... it's mainly about making my body get used to doing something different. It's not really something I would use in a ring against someone experienced, but like I said, this work isn't for the ring or for competition, it's for SD if needed to go along with the combat hapkido.

17. Saved_in_Blood

I can't do to many explosive push-ups (plyometrics) though because of the right shoulder. If I do them steady I don't have pain, but really thrusting up does cause it the next day.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  18. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Just curious - do they have any sparring where you do the hapkido? Anyone there who will spar with you?

Just curious, because I know nothing about hapkido - what sort of kicks and punches do you do in class?

19. Saved_in_Blood

The sparring comes later because everything starts off of a wrist grab initially.. later on you learn more to work off of punches. When you get a bit higher they test you by have 3 or more attackers come at you and you have to learn how to deal with the pressure... they later ramp the pressure up with more and more resistance and more "real world" type of stuff.

The punches are a lot of palm strikes, there are the standard straight rights, hooks, uppercuts, etc as well.

A lot of snap kicks I guess you would call them? It's typically used as a distraction instead of a put you down kind of kick. There are some other kicks as well, but i'm not that high up yet. I'm working to get my green belt now. It's definitely gotten more and more interesting as i've gone along though.

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

This is a great idea which, from now on, I am going to do, thank you!