punch combinations with TKD kicks?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by minamo9, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think much more importantly that the TKD competitor is still thinking semi-contact ruleset.

Front leg sidekicks to the mid section of a conditioned fighter will take a long time to have an effect. It's a low % technique to have any other effect.

Too much of the rest of his stuff is flicky and his side on stance makes it difficult to use his hands well. He also limits the power of his leg kicks as a result.

It's not that he's at the wrong range, doing the wrong things per se, more that he's prepared for the wrong sort of competition, the wrong ruleset.

As a general point beyond that it's not hard to figure this stuff out. The best way to win a Thai bout is by using the tried and tested methods built up over years of experience by Thai exponents.

Similarly, if you want to win a WTF TKD bout at a high level you need to follow the methods of WTF guys.

You get better at something by training for and competing in that thing, not something tangentially related. Who knew? :D

Mitch

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I understand what you are saying Mitch. I agree the TKD fighter was not a prepared as he should have been. However, there were a few techniques used by the TKD fighter that would have knocked another opponent had they hit solid, such as the spinning kicks.

I don't see the kicking as an issue, I believe the TKD fighter showed a dominance at longer ranged fighting. I see the close in fighting as where the TKD was at the disadvantage. Close in fighting is where the majority of fights end, IMHO.

I say the Thai fighter's hand techniques better just based on two observations... the timing to incorporate the forward step into punching for power (the TKD guy used primarily torso twist for power, which does not require as much skill or timing but is more limited in range). Both fighters demonstrated head movement, but the TKD head movement was not integrated into his punching (he either used head movement or he punched). The Thai boxer's head movement was integrated with his punching (thus I think it is superior training).

I do not know the specifics, but based on the title of the video, this is the finals... so presumably, both fighters had previous victories in the ring to get to the finals. I would not want to underestimate either fighters ability to win.

3. Mitch

I think his "dominance" is somewhat illusory, many of the kicks he was throwing were in the wrong arena.

I agree that the Thai guys hands were much better, again because the TKD guy was fighting the wrong ruleset. In semi contact flicky kicks can ward an opponent off, you can see this in what the TKD guy tries to do. In full contact opponents steam through them and knock your lights out :D

I think this is the issue with ITF TKD, semi-contact sparring breeds techniques, stance, approach, everything appropriate to semi-contact sparring. Change the ruleset and the techniques used would change to suit, much to the better of the art IMO :)

Mitch

4. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

The problem with you creating space between you and your opponent is you then have make up that space yourself against an opponent who is also trying to take your head off.

As you dash in you could easily be hit with a punch, teep or roundhouse since you're trying to close distance into his kicking range, get wrapped up in the clinch or your opponent could just back off.

To quote Mike Tyson 'Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face'.

As everyone has said, if you wanna fight Thai, train Thai. Stop making combinations up in your head, don't get rid of your kicks because they can work and could easily confuse a fighter but if your gonna jump in the ring make training for that sport your primary focus.

5. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

That's the thing though, most TKD fighters that go in to the ring only rely on their powerful kicks. While they can come in handy, it is also quite handy to be skilled at boxing. Just try to imagine someone who's an expert on TKD-kicks and boxing. I think it would be a quite well working combination, once you figure out the timing and stances.

6. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

It would be but the side on stance of both styles allows low kicks to fired all day long at your leg and personally for me one of Thai boxing's most devastating areas is the clinch. Once you're in that area with a good Thai boxer it's gonna be a whole world of pain.

7. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

True, it's risky, I'd probably try bobbing and weaving or rushing out till I'm at a distance to kick or rush in again

8. daggers

daggers Valued Member

High push kick , back kick etc is all Muay Thai kicks too you know! 360 kicks , bicycle kicks too.
    if you hold your hands up to guard while kicking and strike with the shin then you are NOT doing a Tkd kick are you lol
    The guys in the vids may be Tkd masters but what the one in the first vid is doing is NOT Tkd. It's thai boxing , maybe some of his background shows in his style but he is fighting Thai style with Thai techniques.
    Just watch saenchi for example, he couldn't be more pure Thai boxing yet he uses all kinds of footwork, kicks punches rolls etc
    My advice is this
    Learn how to score Muay Thai (see my thread on scoring)
    Find a good coach / gym with a good record of fighters in PRO Thai , train hard and regular there , do interclubs and test out different styles tactics, once happy and your coach is happy you can move up to novice competition , learn your style in a real ring contest over 1-10 fights , at this stage you should be a well on your way to fighting for belts

All the best
    Over and out

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  9. Mitch

Not that I'm arguing against your broad point, but guard up when kicking is a characteristic of some flavours of TKD :)

Mitch

10. daggers

daggers Valued Member

I ment in Thai style