ptkalista's thoughts on PTK, open challenges, etc.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

I want to purchase Dr. Nepangue and Mr. Melchor's book just because I haven't really found a good book about fma history yet. It's difficult to find references to fma in mainstream Philippine historical texts, but on occasion, you can find a reference every now and then. In Anarchy of Families, a book edited by Alfred McCoy, you can find a coupld of academic essay's that briefly mention arnis as being used by hired thugs to enforce political loyalties in San Miguel, Bulacan and to take over a bus line in Panay. A much heavier read is Laura Lee Junker's, Raiding, Trading and Feasting: the Political Economy of Philippine Chiefdoms. It's mostly about economics, but it gives detailed academic review about pre-hispanic "Philippine" culture and society, including tactics for war. With all due respect, she writes like an academic and while detailed, the book has all the excitement of watching paint dry. Otherwise, books by the late William Henry Scott and F. Landa Jocano are always recommended, especially Balanghai by Scott and Philippine Pre-History by Jocano.

2. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

The C in Escrima means Cebu

We give escrima to the Cebuanos because they cannot spell their names Kebuanos. The Filipino alphabet of the true k will only be reserved to the bravest of the braves. The true kali and the true followrs which are kalistas do not need books to authenticate their art it is in their bloods dripping on the grounds of their ancestors. We have the k for kill not cill. :woo:

http://fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=2548

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

I am sure that there are many words beginning with the letter 'C' that are appropriate here!!! :D :D :D

I thought Kali was from Cali-fornia! Bwahahahahaha Although I teach Kali (Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo), I do feel that the name 'Kali' has too much hype and BS attached to it. FMA is a far less time-wasting term imho.

Gumagalang

Peter

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Would that be 'Sticktown', Kalifornia once described by that famour historian and Anthrapologist Vin Deisle where the famour 'Dannino Tribe from Santo' settled after floating over on the iceberge from Europe to Canada in persuit of the Sabre toothed Hippopotimus the migrated south along the mainland, finally settling ina warmer part of the mainland that we now know to be the brithplace of that famous martial arts systems that has become the Mother of all?:)

5. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

cmon guys stop feeding the troll.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

thank the stars!

ptkalista is back!

wonderful!

***selling san miguel beer here!!!***chicharon***balut***

7. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

I'll have a San Mig Superdry.. but stay away with your Balut!

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it'll give you "strong knees" **wink, wink**

9. dyak_stone

dyak_stone Valued Member

Walang hiya... Kulang ang beer dito 'pre... Isa ngang bote ng lambanog! (No shame... Beer won't be enough for this, my friend... Gimme a bottle of coconut liquor!)

10. Peter Lewis

Ah the famous Pinoy Battle Cry...BALUT!!! :D :D :D

11. Peter Lewis

Just a little fun Bro. :D

Ingat ka

Peter

12. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Stuart, take a look here and maybe there u can see where it comes from:

Escrima might be a Loanword from Spanisch like many other words found in Tagalog, take a look at this link from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_loanwords

just scroll a bit and u will find a list with loan or cognates word from spanish...in most cases the word will be written a bit different than the one in spanisch like in "Beterano"-Tagalog and "Veterano" Spanisch...
    Hope this help.

13. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

I think it was taken to the Italian "Scrima" ,just much closer to the Eskrima. And probably i would suggest that everybody must buy some books about the Filipino history,culture and tradition. Mabuhay Gat Kalislash

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey thanks Karl. I speak a fair amount of Spanish, and have been able to pick up on quite a few of them in the Tagalog I've heard. (Though kumusta being derived from como esta slipped past my radar, I have to admit.) But the Spanish don't spell it with a "C" either. Still, I guess transliteration is always a bit hit or miss eh? :)

Thanks for the link. I'll have a read, though I'd better get caught up on work first. :D

15. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

There is no C in Filipino only the original K

In PTK the importance of the alphabet K is very important to the original technology of our ancestors. We can authenticate anything with K but not C. So we say escrima not eskrima. the K is very important to life in the home of the braves not C. The proof of the true Kali is in the language not in books. The C is only for Cebuanos. The sword is mightier than the pen. Buy the book but the true Kali want you in Manila for authentication. :woo:

http://fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=2556

16. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

PTK books and other mechandizing

We in PTK also plan to release books like Cebuano Eskrima but for the true Kali. 2008 will be a big year for PTK we will expand and expound our corporate ideas to bigger areas of expertise and technology. Belief in Kali the only indigenous art in the Philippines. If you buy this book of lies you should also buy ours which will be about the true kali with the alphabet K.:woo:

http://fmatalk.com/showthread.php?t=2558

http://pekiti-tirsia.typepad.com/pekiti-tirsia-2.html

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Comedy. It's FMA publisher wars.... LOL! :D

'Their book is bollocks... so if you're going to buy theirs... buy ours too'
    :D :D :D

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Probably most absurd post ever at MAP. Now we've gone on to the alphabet wars... :p

For someone who is so virulently anti letter C.... you're entire post is teaming with them. You big traitor!!! :D

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Agreed. Which is why I think it's such a fitting conclusion to this thread. :D

EDIT: On second thought, that's precisely what I said I wouldn't do. I wouldn't be sorry to see this thread either 1) yield some interesting and useful discussion or 2) give us all a much-needed laugh. So I recind that earlier statement. For a bit, anyway.

Stuart

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  20. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

We in PTK are bringing the indigenous, secret, true kali to the world of business. Our philosophy and training will also be used to defeat the economic slavery of the Spaniards. :woo:

My friends I tell you the truth, alcoholic beverages will only lead to impotence. Instead you should drink fresh coconut juice with your balut with live bolinao. This is the ancient secret drink of the true filipino warriors. ;)