ptkalista's thoughts on PTK, open challenges, etc.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Karl

Karl Valued Member

You know much of the problems whe have now on the world are cause by fanatical people, quite dangerous .......

2. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

First off I like PTK and it is a good system as systems created by a man or men go. I like the footwork and angling which is very, very similar to what I do as well and I like the idea of always treating the stick as a blade and that blade work is preeminent as that is a major focus to what I do as well.

However this statement below:

Is a joke and one should be very careful in their love of their art to ever think something like this. What thinking something like this does is create a false sence of strength that may just bite you really bad if you ever encounter someone and perceive that you are better based on your training. Watch out because you might meet someone that just has better attributes, skill set, etc. and they may use them in a moment of violence. Never think that you know it all or that you can beat anyone.

As to the open challenge that is cool but there are actually open FMA tournaments everywhere now so people are testing themselves all the time so in and of itself it is not that unique. It's uniqueness may be that it is a giant PTK gathering of which personally I think I might go to but that of course will have to depend on my own seminar schedule. :cool:

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

BWAHAHAHAHA I think that even Gary would have been stopped by the Moderators by now!

4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

I'm with you on this one Pat.

Perhaps it's best not to mention a good friend of mine who was well and truly ripped off (financially) by a notable PKT instructor in the PI. :D :D :D

Gumagalang

Peter

5. Karl

Karl Valued Member

mmmm I know from others also and im sure from the same guy....

6. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Well you've certainly put the PTK 2008 February Open Challenge Tournament on the FMA Calender PTKalista :D

PTKalista:
    "It has been every year and every year no one shows. I wonder why"

no directions ? ;)

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Any one going to take up the challenge in 2008? :)

8. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Isn't "no one shows" another way of saying "It hasn't been every year"?

9. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

2008 February 5-15 (Manila, Philippines)

Most definitely not.
    Because to know the true Kali is to not have doubts and to believe only in living not dying. This is the reason PTK is only the one offering a true test of skills without layers of bubble wraps to protect you from only bad habits of bad practice which do not originate from the true warrior technology of the true Filipinos. This is why no one will show. Not everyone can walk without fear of another man, but many can write book to disrespect the real warriors.

You have 5 months to train so there will be no excuse. ;)

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

post the rules of the challenge here!

when and where will it be?

what rules? what weapons?

stop being vague!

11. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

GT Leo Gaje Jr.

http://pekiti-tirsia.typepad.com/pekititirsia_kali/2007/08/kali--arnis-esc.html

12. shootodog

post the rules of the challenge here!

when and where will it be?

what rules? what weapons?

stop being vague!

13. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

You can ask your questions for GT Gaje Jr. to answer here if you plan to go: http://fmatalk.com/pekitirsia or contact Mandala Rommel Tortal rommeltortal@yahoo.com

I am not being vague all contact info have been given before. The rules is up to you, if you chose to wear 8 layers of bubble wrap you can but you will be called many names. And if you want to test your skills in the blade you can also. See you in Manila where your skills will be tested.

14. shootodog

what are the rules? what weapons? when exactly? where exactly?

15. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

My friend, I see you have a hard time understanding the words I am writing. This is not a tournament where you wear bubble wraps all over and everybody wins trophies and certificates and gets called a warrior for the day. This is an open invitation to test your skills against the true Filipino kali for those that have no respect for the real art or for those that doubt their own system or style.

16. shootodog

so it's open? any weapon? no rules?

17. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

You make it too simple.
    - I agree a lot that there are quite a lot 'Masters' around who dont deserve the title. Those for sure wont show up... true (But then again, Youtube helps here)
    - Then there are Masters who have mastered the teaching but are not necessarily able to fight anymore due to age or health. You cant blame them for that. Probably the best way to tell how good they are would be to see their students.
    - Finally there are some Persons who honestly dont have to prove themselves anymore. They fought and probably prefered to do so without big publicity. I dont think they care about this invitation at all and thats understandable. (As they also most of them dont care about titles and dont call themselves Master, Guro, Grandmaster, ...)

I like this 'open invitation' cause it shows a lot about group 1.
    But just because nobody shows doesnt mean, there's nobody in Group 2 and 3 ... they just dont care.

Oh.. and one last comment. This months here in European is the next Dogbrothers-Gathering. It doesnt come as a challenge like yours, but in a more friendly invitation without any prejudice, and I'm sure it'll be a great event again.

Ps: I think what Shootodog whants to know: Headgear or not? Gloves or not? Rattan or Hardwood or sharp blade? Lenght-restriction? Whats allowed= Everything goes including eye-hits and groinhits? Or more rules? Is there groundfighting or not? Do you 'pretend' to use a blade or do you fight stick = you could shoot&takedown. ... Lots of unanswered questions that everyone who's seriously considering to fight ask.

Or does it follow the PTK Rules here?

The fighter-grades are received through actual fights. When in the advanced level one can apply for admission to the fighter-league. The examination consists of fights between the new applicants and fights between applicants and fighters of the fighter-level. The fighter-level determines the kind of protection gear and rules used. The fighters of the according level decide in secret vote if the candidate is accepted. Also expulsion out of a fighter-level is decided in secret vote.

But I dont think so, since we're here talking about the Masters/Grandmasters invitation thats running for long years now. I rad somewhere that there are no rules at all.. so.. does really everything go? Hits to the Eyes and Groin, ... ?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  18. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

PTK we are trained to fight from blade to stick to no weapons to dumog. Last I know if someone from Doce Pares or Balintawak or De Campo shows wanting to use head gear or bubble wraps they can but we will stress that the true kali in the history of the fighting Filipinos they had not protection just their anting antings and their skills.

The invitation is open to everybody, but here I am trying to invite those that want to disrespect the true Filipino kali by writing books and not by the true and only test which is no gear full combat of skills the ancient against the modern fancy techniques from the Spanish, Chinese, Japanese. We respect those that respect the true doctrine and culture and the real Filipino warriors not the Spanish.

19. shootodog

so in other words this is a BLADE FIGHT?

20. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

http://pekiti-tirsia.typepad.com/12_of_the_few_t.html

http://pekiti-tirsia.typepad.com/pekiti-tirsia-t.html

shootdog, You still do not comprehend the PTK warriors wants to fight with blades, but we will also fight sticks, no weapons anything your heart desires because we know we have no doubts we posses the technology of our ancestors.