Psychology from the Ring to the Street.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Red Bull, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

I've found alot of threads here regarding the psychology involved in competition and on the street. But I have another question. Lets take a pretty good MMA fighter...we'll call him...I dunno...Jimbo :cool: . Now Jimbo is a really good all round fighter, has yet to lose a bout and is looking to go professional and roll with the big boys.

Now Jimbo is taking a leasurly stroll down around his block when some thug...let's call him Tony :rolleyes: ...jumps out of nowhere and demands his money. Now Jimbo...not having thought he would need money for his walk, left his wallet at home and the baddie doesn't wanna believe him.

Ol' Tony here isn't in the mood for mind games and proceeds to attack. :woo: Now this is the point where Jimbo freezes. He doesn't know what to do. He knows too well that he's perfectly capable of flattening this guy, but his mind won't allow a single punch to be thrown. Jimbo is thrown to the ground and pummled.:(

Anybody care to explain what exactly went on inside Jimbo's head or has a similar experience?

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Fear! Nothing more simple then that. Training MA does automaticly convey to the streets. Just because your good on the mats, in the ring, whatever doesn't mean you will know how to react at the critical moment when you suddenly realize your in danger.

Fear can immobilize anyone. The key is to train as close to real-life as possible. And for some on this board, they do get real-life training often. Sad really....

3. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

I Think either Jimbo misinterpreted his Adrenal reactions as extreme fear rather than as a natural response to help you cope with your next choice (fight of flight) as the prep time before a MMA match is huge compared to the split second rush from being assaulted especially in 'code white' (see colour codes of awareness if you are not sure what this is) whilst his attacker will probably be in red or orange.

Getting the tunnel vision,sweatyness,that horrible tingling sensation in your legs,heart beating its way out of your chest and other such effects of the adrenal release is rather unpleasant for anybody and misinterpretation of these reactions to the adrenaline release can be quite detremental to your split second pre fight psychology.

We also have to take into account that size matters in this equasion - say jimbo is a light or flyweight and tony is the fattest tallest greasy lump of lard this side of kebab-land,it doesnt matter that jimbo can take down his peers of his weight class,fighting someone outside of your range of experience is scary.

Jimbo could also be thinking ' bugger,he might shiv me',which is again perfectly reasonable,he doesnt know tony, he doesnt know if tony is armed with a knife/screwdriver/stanley knife/whatever in MMA,he hadnt had to worry weather the man has something rusty and pointy to aquaint you with.

Jimbo may also fear that legal action may happen if he takes it too far,say does his slam to tony on the curb and kills tony, now he'll have to go to jail,not see his wife,kids,dog again for a few years.

Jimbo may be daunted by the lack of rules in the engagement,although MMA makes you more prepared than most things, he'll obviously still have the worry that this Tony could want to bite off his nose,smash his face into the concrete,take his eyes,and all manner of nastyness,in MMA he is legally and securitywise pretty much safe from that happening.

However,to conclude it is easier to say Jimbo is confused,scared,suprised and is having any number of reactions going around his body messing him about,with his limbs still cold and unprepared to fight and so on, therefore jimbo probabaly can pummel this guy, all things equal,it depends how well Jimbo can ADAPT and REACT to this ambiguous and daunting situation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

WOW Tommy!

:eek: :eek:

5. Tiger_ARVN

Tiger_ARVN Valued Member

So how does one exactly train and prepare for split second violent street encounters???

How do you make your training in your class as realistic as possible in order for you to effectively survive violent street situations??? I'm sure it has to do with more than just sparring...

I'm talking about how your mindset (psychologically), your intent, your methods, techniques, principles, etc.

One other thing I need to mention is, in a lot of street assaults/robberies; "Tony" mostly likely would not be
    alone. There is a good chance of him having at least 1 or 2 buddies to either be look out or help him in the assault/robbery.

Also weapons needs to be put into account too.