Promotion etiquette?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by coc716, Dec 14, 2007.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

My instructor is SBN Dewain Perry. Sooner or later he'll be promoting to KJN.

As his student, is there any sort of etiquette to be followed regarding promotion to Master?

For instance, would each student be personally expected to give a gift? Would all the students be expected to give a group gift? If there's a gift given, is the gift to him personally, or perhaps a gift to the dojang (e.g. buying him a watch vs. buying a new clock for the dojang wall)?

It's a big promotion, so I just was wondering if there's some proper thing that we're supposed to do.

2. Miss Xxx

Miss Xxx New Member

I dunno but I would probably get everyone togethher and chip in to buy a fancy gift for him,cos yeah it's BIG! ;)

3. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

I don't know if its expected but i'm sure he would appreciate a congratulatory (is that even a word?) present.

Personally i think a gift from each student individually is a bit ott, but you could all club together and get him something special. How about an engraved sword or something?

When one of my instructors promoted we got together and got him an engraved glass trophy type thing and also spoke to his wife and got him a bottle of his favorite drink. :)

4. Yuhp Cha Ki

Yuhp Cha Ki Valued Member

Continue to show your instructor respect! Thats the best gift you can give your instructor. Don't buy them a gift because you think its the right thing to do, buy them a gift if you WANT to get them something. A gift out of love/caring is appreciated more than one that is giving out of feeling that the person felt they had to give one.

5. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Well, the reason I'm asking is because I'm curious if there is some formal proper etiquette thing to be done here. While I ask my SBN about such matters normally, this particular situation would be a bit awkward to ask him about. :) Thus I'm asking here.

Me personally, I've got my own plans regarding his promotion.... and yes, I'm doing it because I want to, not because I have to. I am just curious if there is some formal thing that we're to do. Or even if there's not some formal specific thing, if there's just a particular manner... e.g. what's Korean custom in a situation like this, y'know?

That's what I'm curious about. Tradition, custom, etiquette, in a situation like this.

6. Miss Xxx

Miss Xxx New Member

I agree completely but you should always show your instructor respect, so technically he won't know if you are happy for him or not. Sometimes a gift and a speech is all you need to show him how much you are proud of him and how happy you are for him!
    Check out the Tiffany's website- they had some nice stuff when we got our instructor something.

7. Locoduck

Locoduck Valued Member

My partner organised getting his instructors 2 identical swords made so he could practice double long sword...!!! He loved it.. and was really pleased but it wasnt expected at all i think as human beings we feel obliged to congratulate another over big accomplishments and why not.... Getting Master KJN is a heck of achievement....!!!

BTW tiffanys and a watch are NOT exactly a good idea...as youd get your boyfriend of girlfriend something like this.... id stick with something for training or KSW related... maybe a class photo with everyones congrats messages around the edge of it in a nice frame or like ive said a nice sword etc.

cheers

8. Miss Xxx

Miss Xxx New Member

Yeah but our whole class chipped in to get our instructor something and it was suitable- it was an apple paperweight which was practical for him.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

That's a very good question! I understand SBN Terry will be promoting soon, which puts me in a very similar situation.

10. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

That's another thing I was curious about.

I was under the impression that, according to WKSA "rules" and such, it was a requirement for 5th degree promotion to own/run your own school.

Do I have my facts straight? If not, someone please correct me!

So I wondered about people like SBN Terry because, if I understand correctly, she still studies under the Harmons and does not have her own school. I believe SBN Arby is in the same situation, yes?

So I just wondered how all of that worked. Again, I may not have all my facts straight, and if not, someone please correct me!

11. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

The official rule is you must have a school, but KSN can make exceptions as he sees fit. I don't see a good reason for the rule in the first place.

As for the original question. A gift from the heart is never wrong. Do or give what you think is appropriate and don't worry about what anyone expects. I find that other students are the one's expecting, not the guy promoting.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  12. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Well, a "good reason" for the rule may well be there for expansion of the brand, y'know? But I'm glad exceptions can be made.

As for gift, again, I know it's best to give from the heart. I'm just wondering about any cultural or traditional customs here. From the lack of responses in that area tho, either no one knows or there aren't any. :)

13. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

rules selectively enforced based on the circumstance.

there are none, give if you like, i would keep it extremely personal and valuable (not necessarily $) if you really mean it.

14. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

KWAN JANG NIM do's this mean school owner/head of school??????

15. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Kwan Jang Nim means "master". Title used for those 5th degree and above (tho those at the highest levels may have another title, e.g. Chong Kwan Jang Nim for Chiefmaster).

You can find terminology here: http://www.kuksoolwon.com/kuksool02.html

16. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

ha ha, i think that kswflip was questioning whether kwan jang nim actually means school owner, as was previously mentioned. i.e where is it specifically stated that they should be a school owner?

i'm pretty sure he knows it means "master".

;)

17. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Ah, gotcha. :)

It's still early morning on this side of the pond. ;)

18. KoreanWarrior

KoreanWarrior Valued Member

kwan jang nim

I think it means
    Kwan like all the kwans in korea means school?
    Jang like Do jang
    Nim Sir

so head man of the school or building?

Where's the Korean language experts on MAP?

they should be able to explain better than me.

19. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

coc so do's KUK SA NIM mean 10th Dahn Master then??????????or national martial arts instructor

20. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

National Teacher