Problem with a fellow student.

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by KSprenk, Aug 19, 2005.

1. KSprenk

KSprenk be

Ok, There is a green belt at my school who I kind of have a problem with. Whenever I work with him on a technique he does it wrong. He is a higher rank than me and I wouldnt want to say that what he is doing is wrong, but sometimes the instructor will specifically say not to do something, and he will do it, or the other way around. So when I work with him, he tells me to do the technique the wrong way, but I dont want to say anything. What should I do?

2. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

very tough one... i know exactly how you feel, and have had the same situations many times... i am assuming green belt is not all that high a grade in your system, in which case i would just say "i think that the instructor said to do it 'such n such' " if he gets an attitude about it and says he is doing it right, you can either just say "ok, fair enough - and continue, or (what i would do), is just say "oh ok, sorry i may be wrong, I am just going to clarify with sensei, because i am not sure about it" then put you hand up, call your instructor over, or whatever it is you do, and ask for him to clarify the drill for you, with the other guy there. To be honest I have had this problem with people of very high grades before, and i know how awkward it can make you feel... but in the end, if they are to ego'd to corrected (assuming they actually are wrong) then don't worry about it - it is never too much of an issue if you do the techniques your way on your turn

3. KSprenk

KSprenk be

I dont think the guy has too big of an ego, he is just wrong sometimes.

4. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Tell him he's doing it wrong, and then you'll find out if he has an ego. :)

There's one guy in our club who insists on thumping you as hard as he can, even if you're just there being a target with your hands up, and the instructor has said to keep it light.
    Last time he did it, I asked him to stop 3 times, and then walked away.

5. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

I think it's a pretty tricky situation which should be resolved tactfully. It seems this guy is thinking he knows better than your instructor. I would call the instructor over to clarify the technique, that way the student will be left in no doubt as to how the technique should be done.
    It is always nice to play with techniques and see what variations you can come up with, but you should always get the initial demonstrated technique learned properly first.

6. llong

llong Valued Member

Do others share your opinion of him? Does he only do that with you?

7. KSprenk

KSprenk be

I didnt really tell anyone else, I dont really want to seem like a jerk.

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Since "green belt" covers a lot of ground in Ninjutsu, it may depend on what level of green belt he is. If he's 8th or 7th kyu, you could probably just mention to him that there's a difference between the way he does a technique, and the way that the sensei does it, and maybe you should both go to the sensei for clarification.

It is trickier if he's 2nd or 1st kyu, though.

9. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Sincerely thank him for his advice and help - then do whatever you think is right.

10. Shizukanaarashi

Shizukanaarashi New Member

That is the worrying statement for me. Generally there is a very good reason for an instructor to "say not to do something", oh, I don't know, maybe if it goes wrong you could die!! :cry:

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, your instructor would want to know, primarily because of the above, but also it is pretty disrespectful, regardless of the grade. :woo: There are several people who come to my class who are thesame or higher grade than me and they just would not conduct themselves in that way.

So what if this guy knows a different way to do it, there is a time, place and manner to present it. If one of my guys feels that way, they show me and then everyone, gets the chance to benefit from it, or I get the chance to point out why it might not be such a good idea :) :D

Draw it to the attention of your instructor :Angel:

11. llong

llong Valued Member

I agree...this stuff is a bit too dangerous for someone who doesn't follow directions.

He's also harming your training as well.

12. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

exacly except don't worry about rank as I said in another topic, grade doesn't make you better, you do so just do the above

13. KSprenk

KSprenk be

Perhaps this could go in the General Discussion forum, but thank you for the input everyone.

14. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I used to get that all of the time when I was training BBT. In the end it was one of the things that made me quit.

I'd be training with one opf the blackbelts (I was 6th kyu btw), and pretty much any technique but the most simple techniques they would totally misunbderstand. When I would bring it up with them they would say things like "I'm 1st Dan, you're 6th Kyu I know better blah blah blah". Thne the instructor would see is struggling and fdemonstrate it again to which he would go, "See I told you", making ME look bad.

there were a couple of guys in my class like this, I never found a way round it.

15. KSprenk

KSprenk be

Yes, the worst part is when the instructor comes around and It looks like I am doing it wrong, but I know I can do it the right way. It seems like everyone else in the classgets the right idea though, and if they dont they can admit it.

16. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

On the plus side ninjutsu also teaches you something about politics :D

17. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

:)

I adopt the 'Monkey method'

See no, hear no, speak no!

On topic

As a student you do the technique the way it was shown by the Instructor, if student B does something different thats his/her problem

18. KSprenk

KSprenk be

19. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

There should always be someone else to give an opinion if you don't feel safe with the advice this chap is giving.

20. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005