Prince.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Brutal, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXcgZ84ndk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXcgZ84ndk[/ame]

I use to love watching this guy when i was a teen.

2. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I used to pray the somebody would put him flat on his backside, cocky arrogent and generally a horrible person who should be in prison for what he did with his driving skills.

3. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

I dont know or care about his driving skills.
    Trust there to be someone off topic as usual.

4. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Me too :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6msW7wNh85E"]Prince - Gett Off. - YouTube[/ame]

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not Prince Iaukea?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pn9ThphgrM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pn9ThphgrM[/ame]

6. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I gave my opinion of a person based on facts that are available to anyone. You may think that he is the best thing since sliced bread but I do not. Not really off topic. Trust someone to get on their high horse because somebody has a different opinion.

7. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

Go to bed.
    I just liked to watch him box.
    I like to watch that rapist Mike Tyson too.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Anyone that comes on at this late date trying to hold up Prince Naseem or Mike Tyson as the be all end all of boxing really hasn't got a clue about boxing. If you did you'd know that Barrera put paid to his nonsense in short order. That you think someone bringing up facts surrounding Naseem is off topic only shows you really need to find another forum to post on... this one is for the adults.

Brutal give your mom back her keyboard while you go look for a clue. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Admittedly I'm still a die hard Iron Mike fan. When D'Amato was alive, Mike was virtually unstoppable.

Naseem had a good punch but he was a lazy trainer.

10. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Hey Brutal, if you don't mind finishing up this thread first:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106648

...or you could admit that you don't know what you were talking about and continue on your merry way :)

Friendly advice if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Oh, and Mike Tyson has served time for his conviction, so lay off the name calling?

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm a Pacman fan myself.

12. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

This!!! Oh... And Roy Jones Jr. :)

13. Kid Moe

Who did you like then? This describes almost 99% of all pro boxers... :rolleyes:

14. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

Haha SlipTheJab.. u are on another planet dude. You have problems!
    Think about what you are saying silly boy.
    Dear god.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

There you have it guys.

Another intelligent rebuttal from Brutal.

16. Kid Moe

I would really like if you could elaborate on this? I mean, you can love or hate Iron Mike, but the fact is that he was one the greatest and most talented boxers ever... Perhaps not the Alpha and Omega of boxing but he is there at the top... ;)
    What was the point of this sentence?

17. slipthejab

Really? How much do you follow boxing? Do you really think Mike Tyson was as talented as the media hype would have you believe?

No doubt he was fast, strong and physically gifted from a young age. Cus D'amato helped to forge him into a competent boxer. Probably the best thing that ever happened to Tyson. But if we're really going to look at his record it starts to look differently when it's compared to those who came before him that fought in earlier eras where the talent pool had infinitely more depth and fighters fought far more often than they did in Mike Tysons era (well into the Alphabet Soup era of boxing titles)... I don't think you're going to see that Tyson is quite the legend novice boxing fans make him out to be.

People talk about Tyson's punching power - his KO ability... well as a knockout artist he doesn't make the list with the likes of:

Stanley Ketchel
    Sam Langford
    Bob Fitzimmons
    Jack Dempsey
    Ezzard Charles
    Archie Moore
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Roberto Duran
    Sonny Liston...
    (your casual boxing fan won't know most of the names on that list let alone seen their fights)

The list can go on for a while yet. Listen to Tony Arnold's take on Tyson and boxers of his era... or look up the thoughts of Teddy Atlas. Mike Capriano Jr. is another one who's has some key thoughts about Tyson and his era of boxers in comparison to the deeper days gone by. (and none of these guys was a johnny-come-lately or had an uninformed view of boxing - jeez... look them up it's like the who's who of the sweet science!)

The entire point of my statment was precisely because people who claim to be boxing fans don't really have a grasp of the history of the sport or it's athletes watch a clip on YouTube of Mike Tyson and go all gooey. It's a far deeper science than Mike Tyson or Prince Naseem.

FWIW I actually like Mike Tyson on a lot of levels... but I don't think for the most part he ranks up there with the other fighters names I've posted.

This is in reference to Prince Naseem who was "]beat up by Marco Antonio Barrera. All the flash... all the school yard antics... all the ego on parade... came crumbling down once a proper veteran stepped in with him and decided he wasn't having it. He smashed him. Out fought him. Outsmarted him. Naseem was never the same after that. Barrera broke him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISwivnhMpI"]MARCO BARRERA V. NASEEM HAMED HIGHLIGHTS - YouTube[/ame]

FWIW this is just the highlight... but if you watch this fight in full and compare to Naseem's other opponents you'll see a master class of boxing and angles being put on by Barrera. It caught Naseem out big time. He was one dimensional and after he got caught out he was never the same. It broke him mentally. Hightlight clips are always very deceptive in a sense. I actually do like Naseem... some days more than others... but give me a fighter like Barrera any day.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Tyson's head movement was what made me a fan. He was like a stalking cobra and it was so slick and polished when he was at his prime. Then he got with some bum trainers whose knowledge of head movement only came from the backseat of a Las Vegas taxi, leading to his demise by a tomato can.

19. slipthejab

Agreed. I'm not a Tyson hater... far from it (I probably own every book ever published on the guy). I've spent a fair bit of time taking his side of things on various issues here at MAP for some time. Cus D'amato would have seen every great fighter from the '20s to the '80s and he wouldn't have wasted a New York second a kid like Tyson if he didn't think he has some talent... but... D'amato would have also known that the fight game of the '20s to the '60s and even up into the 1970s was a very different animal than the era when Tyson fought. Tyson post D'amato got on the beefcake bandwagon that has afflicted boxing for some time. Much to his detriment sadly.

20. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

I like Tyson. LIKE.