Prey demo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guizzy, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

The Prey demo recently got out on XBLM and for the PC, so here are my impressions of the single-player portion (on the Xbox 360):

I wasn't expecting much from Prey. I knew there was quite a bit of buzz around it, but all the screenshots I saw seemed so generic. I felt like I was looking at yet another Quake 4/Doom 3. Sure enough, it does use the same engine, but boy! Was I surprised!

The start is a tad slow, and not exactly all that impressive. The models are nice, there's a good level of interactivity with the environnment, but there's not much to do overall until the game kicks off. The "scripted" sequences are really well made; I put them on the same level as Half-Life 2, maybe slightly inferior.

The basic shooting mechanics are good enough. They're not up to par with the other "pure mechanics" shooters like the latest Unreal Tournament and Quake 4, but it works, and it's fun.

Weapon design is one of the low point. There's a desire to innovate, but you quickly get the feeling you already had those guns in Half-Life 1. One look at the "grenades" and you'll understand.

The game has a few special mechanics that set it apart from pure shooters like UT and Quake 4. I won't reveal them as they're a minor punch in the demo. It doesn't feel tacked on. There is a certain part with a really enjoyable and clever "puzzle", near the end, that uses these mechanics.

The graphics are great. There are a few models with a bit less impressive textures, but for the most parts, you'll be awed at how good the environments look. It's quite probably the best looking game yet. The Doom 3 engine, in pure "wow" graphic factor, is simply the best, and it proves it yet again.

And I kept the best for the last... Level design! I'm not one to be easily impressed by level design. I mean; I notice when it's crappy, but I hardly notice when it's spectacular. And Prey's level design is, simply put, awesome. It helps that they are rendered gorgeously, but the rooms also seem to have a purpose. More importantly, there are a few effects that will knock you out of your socks.

So basically, I was pleasantly impressed by this game. I don't think I will buy it at full launch price, but I might either rent it, trade it, buy it used or buy it when it's cheaper. Check the demo out if you haven't done so yet.

2. CKinnerley

CKinnerley Will fight for peace/food

Played the PC demo a few days back, really loved it I have to say. You can tell it's been in development for about 10 years due to the pure innovation seen in just about every aspect. The weapons, yes in functionality that's perhaps a minor blemish, the grenades are incredibly similar to Snarks, but in terms of their appearance (the 2 in the demo atleast) I've got to say I loved it. They've taken the borg style flesh meets machine to a whole new, and frankly a bit disturbing level. That eye sucker style tentacle thing for a scope? Pure genius! I thought at first the thing was going to vacuum my brains out! I'll keep those 'secret' level mechanics under my hat to, but I've got to say, things changing around like that was just such a different experience it was really twisting my mind in strange ways.

I've read a full review which scored it pretty highly, although if you want more time for your money it might not be the best choice, only about 10-15 hours long, but then again Max Payne 2 was only 6 and that was brilliant.

3. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

yeah I agree with everything you guys said one question have either played them multiplayer bit yet? I havent and Iam just wondering what its like

4. CKinnerley

CKinnerley Will fight for peace/food

Well, I would do, but the server browser always comes up blank. I've tried chagning my firewall permissions but no luck, so either no one's playing it or there's something wrong. I'll be getting the full version in a week or so anyway, I'll try it then with better luck hopefully.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Yeh quite alot of people were playing when i went on. It was prety good i thought. If you like ut2004 you would like it.

6. Guizzy

Picked up the complete game today.

Was worth it; and is a must for any FPS player.

7. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

Any particular reasons you can tell us without spoiling the game?

8. Guizzy

The inventiveness of the level design stays consistant throughout the whole game (yes, I've almost beat it). It's a tad calmer than the demo, but there is not real drop in design. You can't help but wonder what they are going to throw at you next.

The shooting mechanics get better as you get better guns. It's also a lot less cheap than Doom 3, for instance, where the only design twist was repeated over and over again: there is a gun/ammo/armor/medkit in this room; touch it and thousands of monster suddenly spawn right next to you.

The puzzle in the demo was easy, but there are some puzzles in the complete game that have you stop and think for a while. Most of these puzzles involve gravity, so it's really refreshing compared to the "grab key - find door" most FPS call puzzles.

The graphics are still incredible. Yes, some models are rougher than others, and most are still a tad low-ish on polygons. But the textures make all that irrelevant; especially the environmental textures. And the lighting.

Tried it online, but it was really hard finding a game. Could have been because it was 2am/1am/12am in the only region the game came out. What I've played, though is very interesting; wall walking keep you on your toes the whole time, as you have to make sure the enemy is not sneaking up above you. I am, though, disappointed that there is no other game style than Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. CTF would have been amazing with the mechanics this game puts forward.

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thats were moders come in official or unofficial. Sounds good Guizzy I enjoyed the demo, the storyline sucked me in.

10. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

thanks for that report Guizzy very usefull :)