Pre-emptive kick to face

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Putrid, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

2. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

just throw the book? i say they line em up and the entire traffic police force gets to spit on em as they pass by. Maybe then come back for round two with kicks to the face =P

3. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Spitting is disgusting... -.-!

4. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I was disappointed it wasn't a karate kicking traffic warden preemptively avoiding a beat-down. Traffic wardens are only doing a job, if people feel so badly about parking they need to lobby their Council. Low life idiots!

6. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Unfortunatley I thought this would happen,ie,people getting emotionally involved with the incident and not looking at the technical application of the kick.

It is a rare example of someone applying a kick to the head in a pre-emptive manner in a real situation.I think I would have most likely have been caught out myself as its not really a position you expect to be struck from in the street.I hope people can learn something from this unfortunate incident.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The thing is, it's not a pre-emptive kick, it's an unprovoked assault (starting with the spitting). Calling it a pre-emptive kick would suggest that the kicker felt threatened enough to kick the traffic warden before the traffic warden launched his own assault and this certainly does not appear to be what happened in this situation.

8. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Its the physical application of a pre-emptive strike. I do agree though that in this case it was a blatant case of assault rather than self defence.

9. Rand86

LOL.

I'm not getting emotionally involved. Actually I'm trying to keep myself from referencing "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels."

The kicker blindsided a guy who had his hands at his waist and clearly had his attention focused on someone else.

Real smooth. :rolleyes:

What the hell was the guy pre-empting then? The warden's eventual rise to power as a homicidal dictator?

Anyone got James Randi on their speed-dial?

10. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

]

Which is an excellent example of a pre-emptive strike.If you meet someone such as Dennis Jones or Geoff Thompson you will find they did exactly the same thing when working the door.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Frodo had it right.
    This isn't a pre-emptive strike. It's just a strike.
    The essence of using a pre-emptive strike is controlling the range and situation in such a way that you get to hit your attacker BEFORE HE HITS YOU.
    At the very least there must be a threat (if not toal intention) to hit you for you to justify pre-emption for your own safety.

It clearly doesn't. The victim wasn't closing down range, facing his attacker or even aware he was in that much danger. With a taget like that ANY technique is gonna be "effective".

I like seeing good use of pre-emption, to a target that warrants it, as much as the next man but this is a poor choice of example to make a point.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  12. Janno

Janno Valued Member

So what the hell was this supposed to pre-empt exactly?

Unprovoked assault? Yes.
    Ambush? Yes.
    Pre-emptive strike? I see what you mean, but i think you've used the specific term incorrectly.

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I agree with this. I know it is semantics but the term 'pre-emptive strike' is used with respect to pre-empting an anticipated attack. This was not the case here.

What this is however is a good example of a very very unusual form of assault. Here we have a thug who has obviously had some training at some point sucker kicking an otherwise distracted public servant who posed him no threat.

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Apart from that, thank you for sharing. I was going to download the video to use in teaching but zamzar no longer takes videos from youtube.

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I think a lot depends on who you have trained with as people seem to define"pre-emptive" in different ways.The way I define it has come from Dennis Jones and he defines a pre-emptive strike as an ambush attack on a person who you consider to be dangerous.Its not something I have ever done as it requires a certain personality type,ie,bordering on psychotic.

16. Rand86

Crikey dude, the guy was outnumbered three to one and all three guys were bigger than him. How in tarnation was he a danger to any of them?

17. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

We don't know what was said.In fact the warden pushes him before he delivers the kick.Still not an excuse to react like that but we probably don't know the entire story.

18. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Even by that definition, the term has still been used inaccurately. And so far it's only you who has defined this incident as a "pre-emptive strike."

Just so you know, i'm not having a go at you here - i'm just saying that there is a big difference between using a pre-emptive strike against a threat target, and ambushing/assault a non-threat target. I'd hazard a guess that law courts, law enforcers, defensive tactics instructors, and indeed anyone who has ever performed a pre-emptive strike to protect themselves or another person would look at the footage and consider this a legitimate "pre-emptive strike." And in fact it would be very damaging to those who do advocate the use of a pre-emptive strike if this were to be considered as one.

19. martialmartian

martialmartian Valued Member

Shocking assault on a guy just doing his job. Like many other's say it's not pre-emptive, simply assault on an unprepared fella.

Sure, the guy threw a kick with decent technique, but as far as practical application goes, there was no need for timing and skillful execution when the vic couldn't have seen it coming.

Hope they get these thugs and give them what for.

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What is excellent about this example?

Didn't look that way to me. It looked like the kicker stole a pen or something out of his hand and he was trying to get it back.