Prayers for the Pope

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ATF, Apr 2, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I agree.

Please please PLEASE let me hear about the gas prices and the war on my god damn news channel.

on a positive not, i did get to catch a small segment on "internet bombing"
    {pranking the police on the net} before they smeared the logo feces of the church all over my screen once more.

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

An Iconic religious figure dies and people start complaining after a week or so that people should stop mentioning him? I think anyone who's getting upset about hearing about the Pope's death should take their own advice and chill a bit.

Christianity and in particular Catholicism tends to bring out the extremes in people but on this occasion I don't think a thread with 20 replies is an over the top tribute...

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats fine, feel free to post about it until your fingers bleed. go to his funeral, i don't care. go, go and pray your asses off, but for the love of whatever invisable man you worship, get it off my god damn news channel. even my beloved fox news has fallen.

4. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

What exactly do you want to hear about gas prices? They're posted at your local gas station, if you're that interested.

5. CKava

Fox news channel is beloved to you? Well Im not religious and not Christian either but I think I'll be praying for you ;).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i like fox news channel. thats where Bill comes on. as well as a few other good shows. good coverage. whats wrong with fox news?

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i know that, but i wanna hear somebody tell me that they are gonna go up and then come back down as the market over shoots sometime in september.
    :D

seriously, anything other than the pope and schiavo would be much appreciated, i'd love to hear how my country's troops are doing.

8. SavageHenry

SavageHenry New Member

They're highly subjective and not very accurate. They tell you what they want you to hear basically. Something like Gonzo Journalism without the drunken prose of Hunter S. Thompson. So basically it comes down to if I want Gonzo I'll go with the pro on that one.

As for the Pope....RIP

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

that may be true, but they still have the best overall coverage and are home to the Bill man.

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Someone wanna explain to me what the hell made the Pope such a great man?
    Honestly.
    Nothing more than a puppet if you ask me. Good ridence.

11. AZeitung

He had a huge influence on the fall of comunism. Even at my age I can remember when the Berlin wall came down, and what kind of an impact that had.

Church officials didn't want to appoint him archbishop, but the government had to approve all of their choices, and wanted him. He was a fairly young (38) academic (and actor/playwrite) who they thought they could get on their side to create strife in the church. But he actually helped hold the church together in troubled times.

He promoted unity between all of the Christian religions.

He promoted friendship and tollerance with other religions by visiting holy sites, talking to leaders of other faiths, etc.

He travelled throughout the world, visiting nearly every country at least once trying to promote peace and unity.

He was a very down to earth nice person, from some of the stories I've heard about him.

I find it very odd that you'd call him a pupet, since he was always known for his outspoken, defiant, firm standing behavior.

I'm sure there's lots more that I've left out, too.

12. SavageHenry

SavageHenry New Member

I also find it odd that he would be called a puppet, from what I understand his policies on interfaith dialouge was looked down on by the Conservitive end of Catholics. While his beliefs on marriage and sexuality were looked down by the more Liberal Catholics. So that being said he was NOT a puppet because neither side had this him tied down and he didn't feel the need to agree with people for the sake of politics. Sounds like the exact opposite of puppet even.

Personally I think his attempts to reconcile differences between different faiths was probably his single most important effort. Followed closely by his role in the fall of the Berlin wall.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Being someone of Northern Irish descent, and having a North Ireland girlfriend, I'm obviously going to say deleted to that.

Points can be made without swearing - I know they can...I've seen it...actually..I have made MY points quite clear before without swearing.

Thank you.

Sorry mods, didn't realise that word was a swear. So use to it from my background.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  14. CKava

I am Northern Irish and I agree with it... Northern Irelands politics have little (if anything?) to do with the Pope.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The immediate area I live in isn't very catholic so there wasn't a lot of publicity about him here.

16. myki

myki New Member

I have to wonder why a member with a handle like “Shadow of Evil” would come to a religion web site, for one, and second, what is the purpose of his question?

We all have to accept people for who they are and accept their particular beliefs also, for what they are. So “Shadow of Evil” doesn’t like the Pope or the Catholic religion…who really cares? He can bad mouth him and berate his Papacy until he expires.
    Nothing will erase what John Paul did for his Church.

I’m not Catholic, and I don’t agree with all that the Pope does or stands for, but like most MAs I’m a believer in courtesy and integrity.

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Btw: I have that username because it has been my user name since it was the title of the first home movie I made about a decade ago ;)
    When did I say I don't like the Catholic Religion? Heck, I hate the religion, but where did I previously state that?

18. AZeitung

Well, it doesn't take a genius to pull it from context.

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Maybe ask a mod to close the thread before it goes into the tank.

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

There is no need to close this thread as long as you folllow MAP's Terms of Service Sec. 1.7 which states:
    "Threads or replies promoting or expressing intolerant views towards any group (race, religion, sexual preference, interracial couples, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Consider this the only warning. Violators will be binned I can assure you

For those that wish to continue with their thoughts & prayers can continue to do so ... for all you others, if you dislike the sentiment of this thread than move along and find another thread that suits your interest.