practising judo at home...

Discussion in 'Judo' started by FortuneFaded, Jun 11, 2004.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

((k' i know theres posts with similair titles, but do read...))

Ok, i aint practising judo at home and not going to a club, its the other way around. I go to my judo club once a week for 2 hours, but i want to practise at home as well.

Currently, in my garden i practise swiveling and pivoting and practising the movements of certain throws is there anything else i can do?

Any info would be grand!

2. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

Can practice doing Uchi Komi's without a partner to improve your speed going into a move. Doing this move lots will certainly improve your fluidity as well as speed.

K

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Try tying a belt around your washing pole about shoulder height(if you have one and if it's sturdy enough). You can make an 'uchi komi' post, use the ends of the belt like arms, if your pole is sturdy enough you can put some real muscle into it making for strong technique and a good workout.

4. FortuneFaded

k' anything else?

has anyone made like a dummy or anything to practise on, i was thinking of creating something like that.. any ideas?

5. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

I lower a heavy weight punch bag so that the top of it is level with my shoulders. I then stick a jacket and belt on it and uchi komi away. Because it suspended it swings and moes more realistically.

I also practice my stepping, ie the steps i use to get out of time with my opponent so i can make my attact.

Obviously you can practice your uki (find a nice bit of grass etc)

Hope that this helps. Good luck

6. Captain_Coward

I have used a person built Dummy before but too be honest i found it more of a hindrance than a help, just try to talk a loved one into letting you practice on them, they usually let you do ne-waza at least.

K

7. Jim

Jim New Member

I'd suggest just gym-type workouts and jogging if you've got time. There are too many problems involved in trying to practise moves by yourself, especially when just starting out, mainly because you'll develop bad habits.

8. FortuneFaded

Thats one of the things forbidden, doing ne-waza and uchi-koma's (mind the spelling :D)

How is a dummy more of a hinderance? i thought it would be a good idea, and oh so original of me :p

9. Captain_Coward

it was made of foam into a human shape, not sure what it was called and i think it was foam anyway, but its arms couldn't manipulate or its legs so it was basically just like practising on a piece of wood with solid arms and legs. Just didn't really help with any tecniques, it was hard to really work out moves on it because it wasn't an actual human with all the associated joints and movement.
    Best to just develop fitness between your classes, you will get a lot more out of them if they don't wear you out so much. The other alternative is of course just joining more clubs, so you practice more days a week.

K

10. FortuneFaded

Will be getting my gym membership soon, so i'll be able to get some weight lifting and cycling done soon for exercises between classes. As for doing additional judo i have to wait till i can drive, oh then pay for the petrol to drive the damn car, its comming up to £5 a gallon i beilive.

thanks for the advice.

another question:
    Whats the best muscles to develop for judo and how do i develop them. I'm sure theres already a thread around, if someone knows of one post the link :D

thanks again

:woo: :die pikachu:

11. FortuneFaded

Oh captain coward, are you a marine by any chance at all?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

He wishes! :D

13. FortuneFaded

i was wondering then i checked his profile, a student... suspicious, a bit like my bro he want's to be a para...

14. Captain_Coward

quiet Freeform or i will give you a doing, No i am a student with Freeform should be joining when i graduate.

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

For your original question I suggest you go to this link: www.judoinfo.com.

There are various articles there about Masahiko Kimura who is said to be the best judoka in the Showa era (and say probably ever). This guy is known for his vicious Osoto-gari, and for defeating Helio Gracie.

As for the second, judo a whole body experience since you are moving around living people and not dead weight. The best way for you to develop strength for judo is the same as that for other styles: core exercises and compund lifts.

In judo you must have a strong grip, be able to push or pull a person towards you explosively, and be capable of at least moving a few feet while encumbered by a person with roughly your own body weight. And that is just the strength part.

16. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Found there's a book by US NHB instructor Mark Hatmaker on using a heavy bag for solo groundwork practise. Dunno what its like but looks interesting -

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1088

I like the sound of - "use the heavy bag to practice techniques that are too brutal and dangerous to drill with a live partner, including punishing power throws and slams, chokes, stomps and hamburger rides"

What the hell is a hamburger ride?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004