Possible Project?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bigmikey, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

This idea hit me as I responded to a post in another thread.

I have several schools around me that I've always been curious about. For one reason or another, though largely its been lack of time, I haven't been able to check these places out.

Well, after I take and hopefully pass my BB test in November, my time at my school rapidly draws to a close. I think I'm paid up through February. Once done I plan on taking a small break to focus on my conditioning, lifting and (this pains me to no end) once again trying to change my physique. I'm too heavy. It's obvious to me. At my weight/size I look great as long as I dont try to do anything like... walk or run, lol. It's time to let go and start doing things differently.

I digress.

I plan on taking a few months off of any kind of formal training and I was thinking that would be a great time to check out these other places. And, in doing so, thought I could also review them so that any future MAP members in my area might benefit from my thoughts.

My initial criteria will be:

1) Curb Appeal - how clean is the outside, the condition of the building, are the windows plastered with cheap advertising, etc...

2) First impressions - was I greeted by the smell of stale urine and sweat, was I greeted AT ALL? Were people friendly or was I ignored? Did they try to sell me straight off or were they more willing to converse, etc...

3) MONEY - how outrageously priced was it or was it a fair deal? Were there any incentives like free uniforms? Trial lessons -and if so, how many? (Currently, my school gives you 1 free lesson. Other schools in the area give as much as an entire MONTH.)

4) Sense of Confidence - Did I walk away rolling my eyes or did I find myself captivated by the feeling of being with someone inspiring and knowledgeable.

5) Class sizes - were classes smaller, allowing for some personal instruction or were they jam packed with students of various ability yet only a single instructor.

6) Culture - was class well structured and disciplined, or were people doing whatever, whenever? Did they adhere to traditional practices like bowing when entering and leaving the dojo/dojang floor? Was there a lot of pomp and ceremony or was time spent on more practical things? Etc...

7) Class Structure - how much time was spent on conditioning vs technique? How much time was spent explaining theory rather than simply demonstrating a few times and then jumping into execution? Did students seem to grasp explanations or did it seem that the instructor moved too quickly for his audience? Were adults and children in the same class? Were classes comprised of many different ranks or were classes segregated by ranking? Etc

If anyone can think of anything else that would be important please post it and I'll do my best to include it.

Note that none of that speaks to how accurately the instructor executes technique or whether the techniques being used are accurate for the style. I'm not an expert on any style so I can't speak to that. I'm simply approaching this from a newbies perspective and discussing those things that anyone, especially with out experience, might be concerned with. The criteria are not all encompassing but I feel they are important, and broad enough to give a decent review.

For example, the school may be run down (which might indicate either a move in the future, a school closing for repairs or simply that the instructor is willing to deal with the failing building to keep costs down. I guess it could also mean he just doesn't give a damn as well.), classes could be small but the instruction might seem top notch, the students well informed and the instructor magnificent. Conversely, the school may be glorious from the outside but classes may be overcrowded, expensive, and poorly run.

Knowing this stuff might help someone in the future.

Thoughts?

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

My personal opinions here would to be watch out for honesty when the instructor answers your question, and how the class interacts with each other.

I went to this TKD place which claims they incorporate Mauy Thai, BJJ, Boxing, etc into there boxing training. I went in, curious, and watched a class, which was by the way god awful. I later asked one of the instructors some questions, primary where their qualifications for Mauy Thai, BJJ, Boxing, etc came from. Couldn't answer my question properly, and wouldn't shut up about how they "incorporate" into there training. yes, I understand that you moron, I'm asking if you have the qualifications to do so.

Secondly, I've been to schools where the training is good, but the interaction between students is rotten. Ego, insecurity, and god complexes tossed around. An absolutely terrible atmosphere to train in.

Nothing else more to say then that, each individual has their own preferences when it comes to picking a school.

Looking forward to how this turns out Bigmikey :)

3. embra

embra Valued Member

I'd be interested in a) how much structure and craft any new school/system offered b) how much common sense they exhibited and interest they showed towards me once tangling for real; and crucially c) how much indication they gave of wanting to teach me in a sensible non BS way.

4. Bigmikey

Thanks guys, thats very helpful! :)

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

focus on class structure, style of teaching and the ability to teach and correct students as well as respect
    also hygiene
    style and qualifications of the instructor is anther good one.

ignore culture cos cos wont find many non asian that focus on culture.
    it doesnt matter if the place is small as long as the quality of teaching is good and the class sizes are small.

over summer i train in a basement sized gym but the quality of teaching and the guest instructor are top notch, such that we have people do very well at regional comps and survived some pretty nasty fights in the roughest parts of town

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok thanks alot Mikey, I spent the evening cleaning and reorganizing my school encase you show up on my door step. Jeese I could have spent my time blogging instead you bugger.

7. Bigmikey

LOL!! Sorry man. But hey, if you're anywhere near McHenry Ill, I'll come join just cause I know ya! :D

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

No unfortunately I'm not close to you but this thread did get me motivated to dress my school up a little, and got me thinking about adding some students to the roster, so thanks for the push.