Points MMA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thinkingbody, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Short answer: Why not and none of your business. You also dont know if i do anything or not or just have a interest in sport.

Long answer: Some of it is common sense like i am interested in getting linked it to read. If its linked here anyone who is interested who don't know can see and then it doesnt look like a baseless statement from "research". (not insinuating anything) So pros of linking the research being cited far outweigh "google it" or lack of a citation. (predicting a response like that. :p)

(Irrelevant point, but i dont like using "training" to describe what i do, its just a pet peeve)

2. thinkingbody

thinkingbody Valued Member

Both.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

In what way??

4. thinkingbody

I agree with this, but it depends on your goals. If your goal is to be the best fighter you can be then yeah, your way is the best. If your goals are to be as healthy as possible and learn some self defence, then the gain in self defence you receive from hard sparring may not be worth the impact it has on your health.

5. thinkingbody

I trained at a couple different clubs during that time. Some where more brutal than others, but I think it actually has more to do with the modality of the combat sport being practiced. Down hill skiing is going to be dangerous no matter what club you train with, same goes for a combat sport like MMA.

6. thinkingbody

Kung Fu as it has traditionally been practiced is pretty useless, and hence, my training in it was pretty useless at least for preparing me for a fight. It does have other benefits though. Some guys now mix Kung Fu with combat sports and actually learn a little bit about real fighting, but only because they add the combat sport element to what would otherwise be useless as a form of self defence.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you go to youtube and search Kudo or daido juku you should see some videos of a TMA based approach to full contact with headguards and minimal gloves.

They wear a helmet with a plastic face covering, but minimal protection other than that, as far as I can tell; I only have copies of the approved ones, but they look very similar.

As I've posted elsewhere on MAP, I think we're at the beginning of understanding the impact of repeated head impacts over time.

I would certainly worry about any environment where I was getting regular concussion.

Mitch

SCA likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Are you talking about in training, interclubs or actual competition?

9. thinkingbody

Hey Mitch, I've done some Kudo, and I know people that regularly practice Kudo, and I'm sorry to say it but Kudo fighting does lead to brain trauma. See the vid below. The only striking sport that I think might not lead to concussions is nippon kempo karate, but even NP karate looks a little to punchy for me.

10. thinkingbody

In training.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The the coach needs to be running things with control, now the issue here is its very easy to see someone else going too hard, but it's hard to see yourself going to hard, it takes two to tango so to speak.
    Which is why good control of a class is important.

You do need to have some hard sparring, otherwise your lower levels of intensity with be full of terrible movement and you'll panic the first time your hit properly.

In my own opinion, striking competition at less then full contact, can skewer the system badly, that's why there's so much poor semi contact kickboxing out there.
    (although obviously people like Alfie Lewisham etc can still motor, there's plenty who cant)

SCA likes this.
  12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Surely that is only representative of the class(es) you attended, rather than the Chinese martial arts as a whole?

Can you clarify what you mean by "...mix some kungfu with combat sports..." ?
    Do you mean using "alive" training methods? Which by no means originated with combat sports.

SCA likes this.
  13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep, that was part of my point :)

Headguards generally don't prevent brain trauma, they prevent cuts and bruises to the face. Your brain still gets rattled.

Mitch

Edit to add: where did you do your Kudo? I have an interest in the style though no opportunity to train as yet :)

14. thinkingbody

I've had similar discussions on here and other message boards and there always seems to be a consistent majority that want to blame the coach or the culture of the club, and probably for good reason, but lets face it: boxing means getting hit in the head, and getting hit in the head means accumulated brain trauma. If your training at a boxing club and expecting to not get hit in the head then your not in the right place, which is why I left boxing and mauy thai. This is not simply a matter of a few bad apples, these sports are predicated on brain trauma. And not everyone is willing to pay that price, which is one reason I believe BJJ has become so popular. In BJJ you learn effective techniques without serious risk of head injury. The same cannot be said about boxing or mauy thai. BJJ however, is not the be all to end all of martial arts. All I'm trying to do is think of ways to work around some of the more damaging aspects of striking to make it more accessible to people like myself, but yeah your not going to be as good as someone who regularly trains and competes in full contact striking martial arts. I think the head gear with hard face mask and bare knuckles might be worth exploring, it could also be a waste of time.

15. thinkingbody

I don't really feel like going into the weeds with this. I've stated my position. If your interested I suggest you go to your local boxing club and do some sparring and see how your kung fu holds up.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Self defence has bugger all to do with fighting though.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd say vast majority. Even then, any kung fu practitioners tend to go for semi-contact point sparring. It's not useless though. I'd say the prime example being Michael Page. Was a semi-contact Kickboxers now knocking everyone out in spectacular fashion. Outside of MMA you've got Sanda and Chinese Jacket Wrestling. I don't know if you'd call them kung fu though.

18. thinkingbody

It has a lot to do with positioning, deescalation and other stuff that's not fighting, but I think saying it has bugger all to do with fighting is not really correct. There are situations that you have to fight your way out of, but yeah thankfully they tend to be few and far between. Which is another reason for not doing a lot of hard sparring. I don't want to hurt myself preparing for a situation that is pretty unlikely to take place, at least for me. Its like intentionally giving yourself brain damage to prevent yourself from receiving brain damage.

Knee Rider likes this.
  19. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Unless you're engaged in competition like professional fighters, or life and death situations, there is no need to regularly practice hard/full contact sparring. How long can that type of training be maintained at risk of your health? Because there is some edge lost once you're not keeping it up. Also some places put too much emphasis on sparring when there are many other important aspects to train.

To be a life long practitioner of martial arts, living a healthy lifestyle, it's not necessary for that kind of hard sparring all the time.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What you are essentially postulating is pointless...a half decent grappler will walk through the shots and just sub you...you may as well just do sub grappling and forget the striking

Or else - as was said - have a word with your training partners

Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.