Plane crash into The Hudson River(new york)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by g-bells, Jan 16, 2009.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

2. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

It's amazing that everyone got off that thing with no SERIOUS injuries. Also, the quick thinking of the two tugboat captains that fashioned a sling outta their lines is to be commended.

3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The pilot pulled off a minor miracle. All praise to him, and may he never have to pay for another drink in his life.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The flight crew should be awarded medals.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The pilot is being hailed a hero. Sure he did a great job but does that automatically make him a hero? It's not as if he had a choice in the matter. If he didn't bring the plane down safely he would have been the first to perish.

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

One - that fact that he managed to make a decision and deal with the situation is to be commended. I think too often people see these reports and think 'so what's so special'. There are a heck of a lot of mental processes you have to be constantly going through whilst flying manually and a very large mental workload is involved while landing.

Two - one tiny mistake and everyone is dead, that sort of landing is very difficult and leaves absolutely no room for error.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He could have panicked, he could have frozen, does that make him brave? Or just very competent? Does it matter?

And let's not forget the First Officer, who certainly wasn't taking a nap while all this was going on.

8. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

Why shouldn't he be commended for his actions? Along with his life he save the lives of eveyone on the plane.

Hell, I'll buy him a drink.

9. Moi

I didn't say he didn't do a great job but is that being a hero or saving your own skin? I think the fact he was last off the plane points to the former but just doing what he did? I'm not convinced.

10. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

The passengers on the ferriers that were the first to be on the site of the accident should also be praised!

11. Moi

Not being argumentitive now.

I think the whole episode shows the good that is inherent in most people that is often forgotton in the goal of sensational newsprint. It's nice to have a happy ending for once.

I believe G Bush is prompting for the States to invade Canada as that's where the geese came from.:evil:

12. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

I suppose it is all in how you look at it. Only he would know if he is the kind of person who would have jumped out of the plane to save himself if he could.

I'm not saying we should all kiss his feet either. The term "Hero" has many levels and the world could use more of them. At eh very least he deserves a pat on the back.

13. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

Heh heh... Didn't know we trained the little buggers did you? But... I woulda had them go after Dubya, not a plane full of average people. Would of made him forget all about the shoe incident:)

14. Moi

I think he probably is one. It's just I heard the term 10 000 times this morning before the facts where even clear. It's not like he had an option, use your training or die, even I could follow those rules. Guess the passengers see it differently.

15. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

A Genie gave me three wishes BUT told me Bush would get double what I wished for. I wished for a million pounds he got two million. One weak with Angelina Jolie he got two.
    For my last wish I asked if I could donate a kidney...does that make me a HERO?

regards koyo

16. Moi

Yep!

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i'm waiting for the flying pigs-hmmm bacon:)

18. jujitsuka07

jujitsuka07 Body by Pizza Hut!

Just a thought...Do you guys think that even if everyone on board died, that the pilot still deserves praise???

I think so! Everyone is calling him a hero, but what if everyone would have drowned even though the pilot tried his best?

Would that make him less heroic??? What would they be saying about him now??

Unfortunately, if everyone would've drowned, many people would say that he shouldn't have landed it in the river, and that it was foolish.

I think it's sad that people are judged by the OUTCOME of a situation when the outcome may be out of their control. They should be commended for their efforts no matter the outcome. Even if everyone would've died, I still think he would deserve respect for his efforts.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The pilot didn't just do a good job. He drew on all of his skill and experience as a pilot at the crucial moment where peoples lives hung in the balance. He kept his cool, considered his options and picked the right choice. There are people in our society that get medals for far less.

People like actors and film directors and musicians get handed awards and medals all the time. For their "achievements" and "services" to whatever it is they're involved in.

Against a background of a society that hands out medals for seemingly anything I think the pilot and his crew are genuine heroes. They deserve all the credit they get.

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If every one on board had drowned the pilot would still have been a hero. He would still have made the right choice. The outcome could have been very different. Hundreds even thousands of people on the ground could have died along with those in the plane and America and the world would have assumed it was terrorists and all air craft would have immediately been grounded.

The pilot made the right choice. He saved peoples lives and averted massive disruption and chaos.