Pipe training

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by dredleviathan, Feb 18, 2003.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi,

I was watching one of the Dog Brother's RCSF tapes last night and Top Dog mentioned that he did "pipe training" once in a while.

I think that other people have mentioned that they use metal pipes or rods in their training and I wondered what you use? Are they pipes or solid rods? What metal? Any tips on routines?

Also where the hell do you get metal pipes/rods cut into 28 inch lengths?

Thanks in adavnce.

Dred

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi

I use a heavy Kamagong stick or a solid nylon one occasionally for solo practice - i've never been brave enough with my joints to use solid metal - the above options are stressfull enough!

3. br00ster

br00ster New Member

I've used a "bahi" for twirling an conditioning,i think there lighter than a kamagong?
    Works fine for me,i think you'd have to "work up" to iron pipes imho:)
    I just grab it in the middle an twist my wrist back an forth:)eek: )(hope that came out right)so it works your forearm as well.
    Then i'd run through the DP twirling exercises,4-14 arko's etc.
    You could just practice hitting i suppose?

4. renegade

renegade New Member

I've used iron rods that is used for makeing roads.If you know any construction workers, they could help you get some.

5. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

What is Pipe training? What is it used for? Is there a website that could explain it?

6. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

Hello All,

We do alot of this kind of training as well as hitting a bag or tire. When I was younger my father made us use steel pipes wrapped in electrical tape..this made the pipe harder to grip...his intention.

But there is alot of stress on the joints ( if done incorrectly and you have to be careful on how you execute your strikes. I use this with my students at a later stage in their training. If the proper form is used you can develope alot of power with this training.

Basically, proper body mechanics and heavy weapon training can be very useful in developing power.

http://www.atienzakali.com/pages/videogallery2.html

If youc an check out video 3..its from my last seminar.

Guro Carl Atienza
    Atienza Kali
    www.atienzakali.com

7. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thanks Guro Carl,

The video with the baseball bat and the hour glass were especially useful to me and I have started to try and use this pattern of footwork as a training drill myself. In terms of heavier weapons I recently found an heavy old garotte in the gym which feels about the same as a baseabll bat. Its also made me think twice about needing metal pipes as the strain is considerable. Its a lovely item inlaid with mother of pearl and I think my Guro got it in the Philipines when he first went over with a British squad.

Footwork seems to be something that we don't practice enough in my opinion as we seem to get a lot of beginnners in class and they seem to get tied up if asked to combine hands and feet (especially the feet). Not that I resent them of course but we just seem to get to a level and then we have to go back to the beginning again... I sort of continuously feel on the verge of a breakthrough.

Mind you my basics should be good.

I've been training about 2.5 years from a JKD angle so the Kali is more an add-on but I'm so interested that I wish I could learn it as an art in iteself rather than as an adjunct. I also feel this about Thai, Shoot Fighting/CSW, and all the other flavours... when will there be a university degree programme in this stuff so that I can apply for a grant and study full-time!!

Anyway like I say thanks for your help. I've heard a lot of good things about Atienza Kali - how about a trip to the UK?

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Hi Guro Carl!

Hey dred, I met Guro Carl and some of the other Atienza players this past weekend at the Arnold Battle of Columbus. Great group of people and very skilled. Guro Carl took first place in the forms division and their group gave an incredible domonstration.

It was a pleasure meeting and hanging out with your group.

I look forward to seeing you folks again. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future. I assume you'll be at Sama Sama this year? If so, then I'll definitely see you there.

Mike

9. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

Dred,

Thanks for the kind words. I hope the hourglass is helping you out...just remember to watch out for your joints when doing heavy weapon training. Using the appropriate footwork should relieve joint stress at the same time develope power.

I wish I could take a trip to the UK!!!

Hey Mike,

Pleasure to finally meet you this past weekend. I never had so much fun at a martial arts event. You guys are awesome with the Pentjak silat.....loved the workshop.

See you at the Sama Sama!!!

Guro Carl
    Atienza Kali
    www.atienzakali.com

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

For joint mobility and tendon/ligament strengthening, I'd highly recommend checking out Scott Sonnon's Warrior Wellness vids. You can order them from http://www.amerross.com

There are 3 tapes in the series, Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. They focus specifically on developing joint mobility and tendon/ligament strength.

11. moromoro

moromoro New Member

hi
    pipe training is good, especially when doing tire practice..
    but also you dont need it,
    i do pipe training but i also use only kamagong and bahi as well as yakkal sticks for training i dont use rattan that much. i do however also weight train this is also unnessasary
    but you could do it if you like..weight training will improve your forearm size and strenght... as well as overall hitting power this would depend on yr size as well
    on the subject of painfull wrist this depends on yr size if you have small wrist you will not be able to handle a heavy pipe easy
    my forearms are 15inches tensed and upper arms 17.5 inches but more importantly my wrist are almost 8inches so i dont get wrist pains easily..

just keep up training and your power will improve

thanks

terry

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi MAPers

One of the things we covered in my recent trip to LA to train with the Dog Drothers was using BIG weapons as a conditioning tool / power generation tool. Do any of you do this - I'm thinking of longer weapons like the staff.

13. moromoro

moromoro New Member

hi

hi guys

that seems very similar to the use of a suburito in kenjutsu..which is done with a very heavy wooden sword in order to perfect the kihon or basic strikes..

this practice is excellent for adding power to your wrist and forarms, a while back i was mad about training forarms..

we do use some basic excercise for the staff in BEAE (black eagle arnis eskrima, this is for wrist condition hold the staff at its very end horizontallywith your arms downknuckles facin the ground then lift the staff up and down by only using your wrist, do this forward and backwards also we do foreknuckle pushups..

hope this helps

Terry