Personal Weapon: Knife or Collapsible Baton?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Juego Todo, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

For your own personal protection, would you rather carry a knife? Or a collapsible baton? Please state your opinions.

(*If this has been done before, sorry, my bad & a moderator can just remove this thread. Otherwise, please write on!)

2. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Baton personally, because, while knife may be more effective, the legal reprecussions of going all-out on an attacker with a knife maybe less the glamorous. I prefer baton because you can strike with a bit more force and bit less constraint then with a knife. You also might be able to carry it more places. And lastly, because with a baton, there isnt as much of a mess as with a knife.

3. The Kaiser

The Kaiser New Member

Sometimes the mess is half the fun. But I'd agree with KF, a baton might have less legal repercussions. Of course, when they find out that you've been training in martial arts, specifically one that trains with a baton, you might still be in trouble. But I'd still say you'd get in less trouble for a few broken bones then a few slashed arteries.

4. Kempo Fighter

Kempo Fighter New Member

Exactly, and i'd even go as far to say that you wouldnt get in any trouble for traing with a baton, as lo9ng as you dont casue any major major major damage.

5. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

baton because of the fact that if the person backed out of the fight then you could bs your way out of the legal mess rather than if you pulled a knife.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

why choose? why not carry both?

the nice thing about carrying a knife is that it is a tool, not just a weapon. nice edge and point. cutting and stabbing.

the nice thing about a baton is that even when closed, it can be used as a pocket stick. when extended, it gives you some reach advantage. the metal density adds to the velocity of the swing thus making it a great impact weapon. just can't stab with it when extended. i've seen a collapsable baton that has a flashlight. when questioned, you just show them the flashlight.

7. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

i'd rather carry a sword (aka, a really really really big big big knife!), but i think that a sword would be hard to conceal and i'd look like an axe murderer (ala-jason voorhees of friday the 13th) if i was carrying a sword on my belt. :p

i prefer a knife if i was carrying, they are really useful when you want to cut something - but alas - i rarely carry anything in my neighborhood since the cops here give you a lot of beef for carrying knives (note: i said knives, not knife). :cry: :cry: :cry:

for batons, i feel that they are really nice impact weapons - and as shooto said - can be used as a pocket stick when retracted, but they also give you a good range advantage when extended (except of course if your assailant is carrying a gun). :D

-nico-

8. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

Knife

HI,
    I USUALLY CARRY A KNIFE AND I KEEP A STICK OR SOMETHING LIKE IT IN THE CAR.
    I personally wouldnt pull the knife and unfold it unless it was multiple attackers or a suprise attack. Otherwise it makes a good kubotan/bludgeoning tool. Punyo strikes or pressure point work with a closed folder work well too. Self defense doesnt always have to be blood and guts.
    You can always say you didnt have a weapon when questioned too, I suppose.
    Also, I sometimes carry a pen with a metal tip on it. It would work just as well, although this is just theory, and hopefully will remain so.
    I dont go to the places where alcohol is being consumed or where persons of questionable morality congregrate as well. Of course, sometimes the dojo attracts these people as well, but thats another story.
    Gordon

9. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

My thoughts exactly, but my prefered weapon would be a nice rattan walking stick which I shall be getting as I get older, how good would that be for a self defence weapon for a person who has trained in Kali/Eskrima/Arnis.

10. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

It's been done before but not for a while :)

the only thing that I ask is that (as per terms of service 1.12 Illegal Activities) no one encourages or promotes the illegal carrying of or use of a weapon.

While MAP does NOT offer legal advice, if in the UK you may also want to have a read of Stan O'Kella's posts in the UK Law and the Kubotan thread

11. shootodog

illegal? nothing is illegal here in this country. nothing is legal either. just don't get caught???

12. Brunstick

shouldn't you be working? haha, just kidding. :p

i was about to say the same thing, but then i realized i'm not in the philippines anymore. :p

-nico-

13. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

So you would use it then?

And this is why we have a tob society, you carry one so someone else needs to!!!

14. Tribalweapon

Tribalweapon Valued Member

I would have to say the baton because of the simple fact that I have more training with it than with a knife.

15. shootodog

i'm on my break. helps really if you own part of the company too.

16. Brunstick

that is one long break bro! 1 hour and 10 minutes. haha! :p

getting back on topic, i'd still rather carry a knife, if i had to pick just one.

-nico-

17. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hey Guys,

I am a firm believer in a multilayer approach to self protection, so I carry both. I also back them up with units in my vehicle, as it can be difficult to deploy your carry weapons while belted into your car.

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

18. Tetsujin

Tetsujin Valued Member

waaa! I agree! I would rather use a knife than a baton..I'd rather kill than be killed..

19. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

just one: Knife .....

I dont like extendables at all. Dunno why, I just dont like them, or trust them to work

20. User Name

User Name New Member

Hmmm... tricky. Using a knife doesn't leave you many options. Stab or slash? You're gonna end up having to do some 'splainin'. A baton, or a stick even, allows you better range of options. Stick grappling, taking out a knee or a swift hard arco to the temple, you can certainly choose how much smack it is necessary to put down.