Personal defense question

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by rivend, Apr 16, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

What reaction would you attempt if confronted by someone who you know for sure intends to kill you.And there is no doubt in your mind that this will be the end result if you don't somehow react.

The catch to this is they have a gun and they intend to use it. But probably you have some time to try a defense of some sort. Even if it is just a few seconds.
    I wonder if charging them or using some type of misdirection of some sort may work but I don't know.
    The other thing is this person is undoubtedly physically superior to you.I know this is a fantasy scenario but in a real world this has a real possibility of happening sometime in your life.

And most likely in a life or death situation these two factors may be the real issues you would have to face if you are to survive.

2. osu,

Attack with extreme ferocity, violence & intent.

osu!

3. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

If you are convinced they are going to kill you, yes. You can't outrun a bullet. You may (with sufficient motivation) overpower someone larger than you.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

How can anyone actually depict that a gunman are "actually" going to kill you?

In many such gun-wielding assailants, they are after someone other than to kill them when they brandish the weapon.

Usually, if a gunman wanted to kill you, they would drive by or walk up and shoot without you having any knowledge of it happening.

To try and figure what will or may happen, before it actually does in this situation is a waste of time.

The question should arise;

Has anyone ever had a gun pulled on them and how did they react?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Man, you need to look at law enforcement tactics and procedures to answer that one...we bury enough state troopers here every year to know that even with numerous hours logged in training for just such an event, the outcomes are often as not dictated by the oddities of random numbers and statistical linear algebra.

I think 47MartialMan's "Usually, if a gunman wanted to kill you, they would drive by or walk up and shoot without you having any knowledge of it happening..." holds true.

6. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Good point... But I would like to hear possible techniques or what would my fellow forum members think they may do in this situation.But this scenario like I said was hypothetical or fantasy. And supposing you do have time to react and in your mind there is no doubt as to the attackers intent as to kill you.

What we perceive even before an event at times is actually true reality*In my opinion*. So possibly I believe in a sixth sense about things or a real strong feeling of what is actually intended before the action.In threatening and non threatening situations.A feel for things in other words. Do you understand my point?

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Given that its more difficult to hit a running, zig-zagging target, than a stationary one, my first thought would be to run like 'ell and hope he never had formal training...but there are so many variables that could change that...is your family, your kids with you? If so, you'd not run.

Then, as FredinChina says "Attack with extreme ferocity, violence & intent"

Now thats definitely the best sales pitch for signing up in a top-notch MMA school that one could give...I think someone who's mastered those sudden, explosive movements, learned to conquer the paralyzing fear...they are going to have an edge - maybe only percentiles - but an edge over someone who's never trained in that capacity.

8. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I'd charge in and duck to the side with my left arm forward. Hopefully grabbing hold onto the muzzle/gun forcin it to face away from my body. Hopefully having startled the gunman I'd take him down maintaining control of the gun hand attempting to make him drop it. I'd resort to any means necessary including ball crushing eye gouging biting.

9. 47MartialMan

We practiced this with a motorized water pistol. If you got wet, you got shot.

Guess what, everyone got wet doing the drill.

In short, the gunman's reflex on the trigger is super faster than you can move.

Talking about "what some would do" in this situation is almost pointless unless they HAD been in that situation in real time.

Hence. I reiterate;

10. 47MartialMan

The son of a friend of my wife was held up at gun point on a roadside near a wooded area.

He was with his bud, the gunman shot his bud who was trying to get the gun away.

The friend's son ran into the woods zig zagging among the trees.

He lived.

True story

11. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Not gonna argue against that. I agree entirely. But if I was in a situation like Rivend said that would probably be what I would try to do. I'd even expect the grabbing motion with my hand to result in a shot(s) being fired. My arm would most likely get hit but it's a whole lot better then my head or torso.

12. 47MartialMan

Its all good. I am not looking for a argument either. That said, "IF" is a big word when used instead of "reality and actuality"

Going back to "if", in "reality and actuality" you would never know what the outcome would be and it is pending the situation. (How close would the gunman be? The scant few I have seen in action do not get too close to the victim)

And although, I somewhat agree, better to get shot in the arm than the head or torso, have you ever got shot in the arm or leg to even remotely understand how it feels and how you would deal with the pain, blood loss, and gunshot trauma? Do you think you could actually battle on empty hand after being shot?

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

14. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

In all honestly though fighting back against a gunman is a last result. I would be more then willing to give them whatever they want ( wallet, keys, etc ). As far as a personal story. My dad was held at gun point when he was a Teen in Mexico. He was about to get into a cab when a man wielding a gun jumped inti the back seat and robbed him and the driver. My father was compliant but he said as the gunman was about to leave with the cash he turn around and pointed it at my Fathers head. He had a look in his eyes like he didnt give a crap. My father "knew" the man was going to shoot him yet he felt frozen in fear. The man decided not to shoot and ran off. My dad says it was an act of God. I just think the man saw the fear in my dads eyes and decided not to fire.

15. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I'm no doctor nor have I ever been shot. I have no experience with trauma victims but I do know people who've been shot and stabbed. I think you've got to give more credit to adrenaline and the Will to live.

16. 47MartialMan

Most of the time a street gunman is after something other than your life. (This doesn't mean they wont kill you if you catch a good look at them or they are looking to add another murder to a list of murders they already committed)

Home invaders are a different story.

The best thing against a gunman;
    *Comply

The second best;
    *Don't let them catch you staring at them

The third best;
    *Leave quickly and go to an large populated area

If you have a gun, your gun is not a bullet proof shield, you may not have a chance to draw or produce it. However, that is better than trying to get a unarmed defense against his trigger ready posture

17. 47MartialMan

No credit to adrenaline as it would have you do the incorrect behavior.

The trauma of being stabbed and shot is a big factor-I know

Shot-depends on the caliber and if multiple

Stabbed,-depends on the blade, wound size, and area

18. rivend

rivend Valued Member

The fear would be intense,thinking your going to be shot or stabbed and the immediate change from normal thought to having to defend yourself in a life threatening situation.This would be a jolt to the mind and hopefully civilized thought could be immediately wiped from your mind, and training and a cold calculated reaction could ensure on your part.
    But the options are few from what some have mentioned so far.

I think a in close defense/offense may be best if the aggressor allows it. If you can redirect the weapon and gain control.You would need training and yes this is a good reason to study martial arts. A person who is not knowledgeable in any fighting skills may take a serious look at this if they survive after such an event.

Also I hope this thread receives opinions on if you did try a block or strike would it be upward or downward. And would it be wise to make yourself a smaller target by positioning your body sideways so a full frontal shot or stab wound is harder for the assailant to make.

I know this is speculation and hard to define a defense or what would be the best reaction. But maybe this may educate as hopefully this thread moves forward to possibly help someone if this situation actually happens to them.Or somehow express the possible reality of this happening to you sometime somewhere in your life.

Thank you for all the replies so far they are very helpful.

19. 47MartialMan

Likewise of stimulus to pressure points, pain tolerance is one of the key factors. Fear is a factor that we could not predict in a gun situation. In honestly, one would not know what do do unless they had been in that situation and can recite.

Hence. I reiterate;

As I had stated, being shot depends on the caliber and location

If you are shot by a small caliber such as a .22, .25, .380, or even a 9mm-fmj in the hand, forearm, or lower leg, you may have the ability to overcome the trauma and still fight.

However, if you are shot by these calibers in the upper arm, shoulder, or the femoral artery, the pain and trauma is greater.

In either the above, if you are shot with a rapid expansion hollow point, or a large caliber like a .45, or a magnum class round, the pain and trauma is greater.

Studying martial arts is not the "magic bullet" to all types of reality-actuality-practicality self defense-street scenarios, esp against a gunman. "TOO MANY 'WHAT-IFs"

20. 47MartialMan

Agree. It is speculation. The chances of it happening depends on the environment to which you are exposed.

If you live in a country where there aren't any or many gun crimes, you'd be least likely confronted by a gunman.

Vice-versa.

Unfortunately, I was victim in the vice-versa realm.

No amount of martial art training is going to prepare you for the gunman situation, esp one of a bullet being discharged and/or coming at you, or you getting shot.

(Unless you were in the military)