Penn and Teller's take on Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by windtalker, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

The other night I caught an epsiode of what appears to be a series from comedians Penn and Teller. The show was called "Bull3@*7: Martial Arts. Did anyone else happen to watch it?

At first I thought maybe Penn and Teller were doing some kind of comedy routine. As the episode progresses it came across more like an episode of Mythbusters where the Martial Arts were being examined in a scientic way. Yet by the end it seemed to me that Penn and Teller had reached the conclusion Martial Arts were a complete waste of time and money.

To start with Penn and Teller broke down modern styles into three catagories of sorts.

The first being traditional of course. As expected there was the usual "dojo is a Japanese phrase for strip mall club" and bashing the belt ranking system.

Next came the mystical styles as they were refered to. I know what you might be thinking. Talk of dropping opponents without touching them or other non-sense right? Yet the instructor profiled talked mostly about the health benifits of martial arts. Hasn't studies been done that provide evidence Quigong and Tai Chi can provide health benifits for circulation and general excercise?

Last was the murderous category. Most of us here refer to these as self-defense schools. While I'm not sure the instructor meant to convey it was far from the unreasonable force message that Penn and Teller gave.

Anyway just curious if anyone saw the show and had any comments to offer..

2. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Just ran across thread on this very subject! Sorry folks. Will have to use seach function better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.