Pen and Sword

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ladyhawk, Oct 10, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lemme be the judge only fair play :D
    -TkdWarrior-

2. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

No. I have the sword. I think it's mightier.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No no, I agree with TKD, you hit him with the pen, I'll hit him with the sword, then, if he's still standing, he can tell us which hurts most.

Well, you did want to judge.

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"No no, I agree with TKD, you hit him with the pen, I'll hit him with the sword, then, if he's still standing, he can tell us which hurts most.
    Well, you did want to judge."

smart a$$...:woo: :Alien: :eek:
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

lol...Deal!!!

6. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I think the saying, the pen is mighter than the sword means that..........hmmm
    ok, look at it this way. You can do a lot with the pen, well if you have athourty that is. You can make a decree to have people killed, you can even make a decree to to ban all swords from the area:D Yet with a sword you can cause hurt to someone, however with the pen you can make a law that who ever uses a sword to cause harm to someone must be put to death, so then then pen can be very powerful in that way, but ofcourse only a person in power has such power with the pen. Also, You can do a lot with the pen. You can persuade people through your words, ect.....It's just to much to explain. I think the pen can be just as mighty or even mightier if you know how to use it properly, of course you wouldn't fight someone with a pen if they have a sword physically. That isn't what that means. This saying has great significants

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Most here assume a pen is needed to weild the sword, I disagree, a sword is much mightier than the pen [yeah I know I am challenging a politically correct answer ;)]

A pen just writes, signs papers etc, but a sword does it, you can write "cain will not hurt me" and have me sign it, but it won't stop me from using the sword :D

Just some thoughts...

|Cain|

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Psssst.... Cain ...... your talking cr4p :D

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Tell me about it ;)

Not exactly in my best mood rite now :D

|Cain|

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Me and you both buddy :woo:

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

How d'you put them to death without a sword?

12. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

You can strangle them? stone them? hang? use the axe?

As I see it the sword means direct power. The pen control.

I had a slight epiphany realting to this after seeing the matrix.
    You can have all the power, swords, guns, ability to become invisible, etc, etc. but if I have a small bomb hardwired into your head that will go off if I die then I have control.

Control is the ability to force someone into a decision by making all other choices less attractive than the one you want them to make.

We usually see this applied through the use of a pen signing orders which is why the pen is the symbol of this control.

This can be related directly to fighting in the normal "David and Goliath" fight. One person is hugely muscled and strong and wants to hurt the other, normally proportioned person. There will always be a few ways to hurt, immobilise, kill humans so you just need to find a way to create the oppotunity to get to these.
    The "David" figure needs to create a situation where the "goliath" figure will be forced into an action that will give "David" the desired outcome - survival. There are an infinite number of ways this could be possible but the idea is what you need to worry about.

Learn to control the situation not hack it up with your sword.

13. ajacxxion

ajacxxion Valued Member

The most powerful and effective martial artists incorporate completely all aspects of both the pen and the sword.

Think about what each stand for,
    the pen stands for ideas, thinking, culture, society, ultimately relationships with other people. The pen can state facts, and it can also influence and create, with the mind of it's wielder. All of these things are essential to ART. Relate this to the artist in the term "Martial Artist".

the sword (depending on individual philosophy and moral alignment)
    may stand for justice, and therefore cultivation of the self and the rest of society, and this also relates to relationships with other people. This means cultivation of the self because that is a prime goal of the martial arts. Justice relates to cultivation of society. Violence can act as an equalizer (when used properly); for example when people who are not moral take advantage of those who are moral, martial arts can be used to alleviate this problem with society. And so the sword is the martial part to "martial artist".

I believe this question of whether the pen is stronger than the sword or not lies at the fundamental heart of Martial Arts, and I think that the answer to this, and the real question is:

Is considering the strength of the pen compared to the sword more important than using both the pen and the sword to accomplish the goal of cultivation for the self and society?

It is not more important, rather, the important thing is that we use both to cultivate effectively.

This is what a true martial artist does..... I think.....

14. middleman

middleman New Member

Pen and Sword in Accord (Balance)

Which is more 'powerful', Yin or Yang?

My thoughts on Pen and Sword have been expanding lately, with the assistence of this nice forum, and other 'studies'.

It seems to me the Samurai took up pen to BALANCE the sword.
    Sword can represent the 'active outter' - Yang
    Pen represents 'passive inner' - Yin

If the pen is used as an inner meditative practice, poety, calligraphy, etc, while the sword is an active outter practice, balance can be achieved, Tai Chi.

What Think Ye?

middleman

15. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

The sword can kill your body, but the pen can destroy your reputation for all eternity.

16. middleman

middleman New Member

Living 'In Accord'

When one lives in balance, yin and yang can be trancended and eternity can be 'known' to be no other than 'now'.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Ideas will, in the long run, be more powerful than force. somebody who believes enough in an idea cannot be persuaded by force, whereas people without a strong belief are easily bullied.

or, as Machiavelli wrote "It is better to be loved than feared."

18. middleman

middleman New Member

Ideas

Thanks KD,
    'A Course in Miracles' explains that an idea, unlike a physical thing, which when shared is divided, increases when shared. Is 'reality' a shared idea? Is it a 'realitivity' cause we don't all share the details of this so called 'reality'?

19. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

The pen

A sword can force people to your way of thinking, but people forced are not truly convinced. A pen (words) can change a person's heart, and not just affect their sense of self-preservation.

Also, a sword can kill you, but words can convince you to kill yourself.

20. imawimp

imawimp New Member

The pen is mightier then the sword, BUT - the sword speaks louder at any given moment.

Properly applied either can be used to ruin your day.