Parkour & Tricking

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by sn11, Oct 1, 2007.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hey,
    A friend of mine has been doing parkour for a while now (and has got me into it too! :D) but wants to add to his training.

I suggested adding MA to it. After a bit of youtubing we found some really amazing videos involving MA and parkour.

Now my friend is looking into adding MA into his training, we were both particularly impressed with the weapons and kicks part of it.

He's looking for an art that will compliment the parkour, increase fitness/stamina/agility etc and just have even more stuff to be impressive with. He's not too bothered about self defence but as a punch is a punch it'll all help.

So onto the question; What arts do you guys think really would compliment this type of training? Theres quite a lot in our area so if you suggest say the top few im sure we could probably find it.

He mainly wants to extract bits from the art to include in his training but wants the art as a whole, so no xma style stuff.

I suggested ninjutsu, tkd, or kung fu but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much kung fu around, and im not sure whether the others would be good?

Thanks for any advice, i'm still working on him getting on here so he can ask stuff for himself! lol

Thanks, Psy

2. Jeffrey Smith

Jeffrey Smith New Member

Parkour makes my joints hurt, D:

Go for an art that has a lot of flashy stuff that has little real life application, those always look cool.

3. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

lol, i get injured waay to much from it! :p

Although theres an open gym day so thats great for practise.

Do you have any suggestions on the arts that involve a lot of the flashier stuff? :D

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

TKD or Wushu?

5. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

IMO forget 'ninjutsu'.

Kung Fu is a good one but it'll depend on the style whether or not they'll have the 'acrobatics' you're looking for. Wushu is potentially your best bet, as suggested.

I think the best thing your friend can do is go along to a few different clubs within each art. Sometimes there can be quite a difference in training from one club to another. Then he can find one that has training to suit what he's looking for.

6. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Well, bored at college....

Apparantly there must be a mapper who is part of the technicians at this college because http://youtube no longer works ! :(

This is the kind of stuff we're interested in: http://www.myvideo.de/watch/163377

Enjoy!

7. Victoria

Youtube was blocked here too just last week. Gah! Will watch that when I get home :D

8. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Why?

9. Victoria

Is ninjutsu the best style for learning to do those kind of tricks and not much else? If so then I apologise :D

10. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

aah sorry, i read he wants an art to compliment his skills not the best art to learn these from, considering we do lots, of roll, breakfalls, leaps, dives etc and since i have one of these guys in my class who loves the mix i would say it is a good choice.

11. Victoria

I disagree for the kind of things he's looking for. Parquar is beyond rolls and dives, I don't see what tricks someone with that background would take away from Ninjutsu compared to a more acrobatic style. I'm guessing he can already do rolls and dives.

As an aexample. From these I don't see rolls and dives being any more flashy than he already has. I wouldn't say that Ninjutsu wouldn't compliment parquar at all, it'll compliment any past time involving movement, I just think there's much more acrobatic styles better suited to what he's looking for.

12. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

ok, i suppose at your level the view is limited.

13. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Yeah but that's because you've only had about 6 lessons *dive rolls out the way*

:D :D :D

14. Victoria

So ninjutsu is great for learning lots of flashy tricks to extract from the art and impress your friends. Ok, I'm sure everyone will agree with that :rolleyes:

If you have a different opinion then fine, reply to the OP and give that opinon. But that is my opinion based on what I quoted in my last post.

15. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

well we have the basic muto dori where you roll away into kamae, or roll in and strike or even roll away the draw a sword and kill someone, how much more flashy do you need?

Thats why its about experience. :rolleyes: ;)

16. Victoria

Very useful for parquar.

Then give your personal opinion experienced one. No need to jump on others giving theirs. I'm sure all those experienced enough will agree ninjutsu is a great art for flashy tricks

17. Lord Spooky

smoke bombs...it's all about the smoke bombs...

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

but how can you give an educated view if you do not have any experience?

19. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

weapons.

20. Lord Spooky

Weapons shouldn’t be used for flashy tricks. You'll end up chopping something off,
    or worse you'll look like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um9ykmXJKj4"]YouTube[/ame]