Pacquiao vs Mosely

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Banpen Fugyo, May 3, 2011.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

So... Um... Fight is soon. No thread yet??!

Thoughts/concerns/game-changers?

Im thinking Pacman will go all the way and win decision or TKO around the 10th.

Possible KO by Mosley if Pacquiao isnt careful... he's a hard hitter.

2. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

If you missed this lame-o fight consider yourself lucky. My coach knows Mosley's trainer so the people I saw it with were especially disappointed. I think it was around the fourth that he told Mosley to throw the right hook... Didn't see it happening, but the openings were there..

As of this writing Pacman should just be starting the set with his band in front of a hyped Las Vegas audience. Next week he'll be back in the Philippine Parliament, running national affairs and leading and what not...

A million winners every day, and for every one of them there's a loser.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, that was a disappointment. With all that hype I actually expected Mosley to show up. He even had LL Cool J talking with one of the commentators, and then he didn't even show up? Huh?

Mosley had his right hand by his ear the whole fight. Did he ever even throw the right? More than five times? :dunno:

Embarrassing. Mosley should retire after that non-performance.

The third prelim fight was great though. For having 63 professional fights Arce had NO talent, but he sure has heart. Pure heart. Vasquez too has heart to spare. Great fight to watch, though I disagree with the judges' lopsided score. I thought it was closer. (The commentators gave us what would have been the judges' decision.)

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. Banpen Fugyo

Well regardless of the judges score in the Vasquez fight (I agree w you btw) that was an amazing fight. Reminded me of the 9th round between Gatti and Ward. Arce just kept coming and coming and coming and took some good hits as well.

I dont really think Vasquez's corner should have thrown in towel so early, even though he did look out on his feet a bit. The ref could have done a standing count.

As far as the Pacquiao fight, you can tell after the fight that Pacquiao was upset. He thought, as most everyone else did, that Mosely was gonna throw down with him but ended up pulling a Clottey against him.

I cant say I blame him though. What choice did he have?

-Once Mosley got knocked down (for the first time ever) he realized that Pacquiao has the power to hurt him
    -Theres no way in hell Mosley could out punch Pacquiao, so thats off the table.
    -Theres no way in hell Mosley could deal with Pacquiao's speed
    -Theres no way in hell Mosley could wait it out and hope for Pacquiao to get tired.. Pacquiao could probably fight 17 rounds and not be tired
    -Theres no way in hell Mosley could win by points

So what options did he have left? Same as Clottey: Cover up and hope for him to make a mistake and land a lucky punch or cover up and try and last til the final bell

Whats next for Pac-man now? Marquez I guess, but really theres just nobody else out there for him, other than Gayweather, and we all know thats not gonna happen.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pac is a fantatstic counter fighter but his big flaw is that he seems a bit unsure about how to open up a defensive fighter.

This is why - unfortunatley - I think PBF will beat him if they meet; Pac's style suits PBF very well

6. Banpen Fugyo

See, I was thinking about that also. Pac gets really frustrated with defensive fighters and you can just see in the way that he moves and punches that he almost looks desperate to land a punch. Pac has always LOOKED sloppy, for lack of a better word, but nobody has been able to capitalize on his flaws because hes just too fast.

Against Clottey, who I think had a better chance than Mosley, his frustration was obvious and he got caught by a few realllly good uppercuts in his haste.

But in this match Pacquiao's guard was noticeably tighter, and up until he got knocked down (what a BS call by the way haha) he wasnt throwing from very many angles like he normally does.

In a fight versus Mayweather, he would have two disadvantages: His frustration against a defensive fighter, and his vulnerability to counter punching BY SOMEONE WHO IS FAST ENOUGH

IS Mayweather fast enough? Im not sure anymore...
    But also, is Mayweather strong enough to hurt him? Possibly... But that little Asian man has a pretty strong chin and Mayweather isnt exactly known for his amazing KO power.

IMO, if Mayweather has a chance against him, it would be in points. But with Pacman throwing the insane amount of punches he normally does, he would have to really be on top of his counter-punching game. That and his guard would have to be amazingly resilient against a guy who can blast your forearms away from your body with one punch.

Also, I dont think Mayweather's defense, which is astounding dont get me wrong, is as suited for a southpaw that throws from such crazy angles at it is against a more traditional fighter.

Again, just my opinion :p

7. Banpen Fugyo

I think we can all agree that this was the highlight of the match:

Yowzers.

Attached Files:

8. aikiMac

Ditto everything in posts 6 & 7. Twice for post 7. Wife of the dude next to me grumbled at that point in the show. "Are they real or are they Memorex?" she asked in a very snide voice.

Boxing, though: As for Manny being "knocked down," in the replays you can CLEARLY see Mosley stepping on his foot (which is great kung fu), and you can just as clearly see that there was no punch anywhere near the fall. Manny was tripped, plain as day. Bad call, but it worked to **** him off! :)

Ya, ain't nobody left but the yellow-bellied chicken livered coward Gayweather. That's a shame. My money would be on the combination of Freddie Roach/Manny to utterly dominate him, but, ya, it's really sad the fight will never happen.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. puma

puma Valued Member

I thought it was a strange fight for Pacquiao to take in the first place. If he stopped Mosley people would have said Mosley was shot, if he lost people would have started questioning if he was really that good, and as it turns out it now makes people think that after that performance, how on earth would he deal with Mayweather? Pacquiao looked messy at times. I couldn't imagine Mayweather losing his technique like that and ending up on the canvas. I think Pacquiao should avoid Mayweather personally and retire. His legend will grow and grow. I have said all along that Mayweather is just too much for him. Pacquiao has been a great fighter, but I don't think it is fair asking him to take on Mayweather. It's too big an ask. If the fight was made, Mayweather would be odds-on favourite with the bookies, and there is a reason for that. I think Pacquiao should bow out now and concentrate on his other activities. He has done enough don't you think?

10. aikiMac

In the first couple or three rounds Manny did look rusty. He wasn't moving like he normally moves. That's true. On the whole, though, he's gotten better and better with every year, with every fight. He's on a 14-fight winning streak against legitimate boxers, and nobody has faster hands, and for that weight nobody hits harder. He's the only fighter to ever knock Mosley down. Look at the knockout of Ricky Hatton. Even on replays you can barely see the punch coming!

It's a crying shame that all we'll ever be able to do with the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight is hypothesize, but I have to TOTALLY disagree with you on what that hypothetical outcome would be. :hat:

11. Banpen Fugyo

Im gonna have to completely disagree with you :)

He is getting BETTER in every fight, not worse.
    He is still incredibly fast.
    His style is MADE to look sloppy and messy, thats why nobody can beat him.

All the different boxer's trainer's that he's beaten have all said the same things:

There are flaws in his boxing
    He arches his left hand too much when hooking
    His right _____ is too ______ while ______ing

But NOBODY can capitalize on this. Nobody can figure him out.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

*cough* Marquez *cough*

13. Banpen Fugyo

lol, true... :woo:

But I think Pacquiao has well surpassed his skill from when he originally fought Marquez.

We shall see though :D

14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

A far better fight

I think the better one that evening... the IBO match in Copenhagen...

From St.Augustine Sports:

" COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield stopped Denmark's Brian Nielsen on a technical knockout in the 10th round Saturday night. In the 10th round, the 48-year-old Holyfield pressed the Dane in the corner and hit him several times with right-left combinations "

15. puma

puma Valued Member

Vernon Forrest knocked Mosley down.

The thing with Pacquiao is he fights people at catch weight. De La Hoya, Cotto, Margarito. I believe if you want to fight for a title at a certain weight then you shouldn't be allowed to restrict your opponent to the weight you want to suit you. Mayweather didn't make De La Hoya come down in weight. He went up to meet him. Therefore, I don't think Pacquiao has progressed that much with every fight. Having said that, I think this fight has come too late for Marquez, and I think he will be too small now. I think he may give Pacquiao some problems though for a little while. Certainly more than he did Mayweather.

16. aikiMac

That's a good point about the catch weight. :cool: In this situation, though -- I would agree with you if Pacquiao had not so decisively beaten his opponents. If the recents fights were closer you'd have a good argument, but with the recent fights being so one-sided, and with boxing's brackets being so narrow (half the spread of the UFC brackets, right? seven versus fifteen pound spreads, I think?), I really think that doesn't matter.

17. puma

puma Valued Member

No, I guess on the face of it it shouldn't really matter. But then he wouldn't ask Cotto to drop those extra 2 pounds if it didn't really matter. It certainly mattered in the De La Hoya fight because that extra half a stone was a lot for De La Hoya to shift. I think that was a weight he hadn't made in over a decade, or something like that.