Pacquiao versus Bradley June 2012

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by aikiMac, May 18, 2012.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

(Apologies if there is a thread on this, but I didn't see one.)

I boycotted the Mayweather fight earlier this month (May 2012) because -- well, for several reasons, the top two being he's a bleeeeeeep and the only boxing fight I want to see is Pacquiao versus Mayweather. But despite my anger over Pacquiao and Mayweather not fighting each other, I'm probably going to watch this one, because I think Bradley has a chance. Nothing against Cotto, but he wasn't a serious opponent for Mayweather. The outcome of that fight was predetermined.

Bradley, though -- I predict Pacquiao will win, but I think he'll actually have to fight Bradley for the win. Bradley is 28-0 with one no contest due to a cut over the other guy's eye. No, his last fight (undercard for Pacquiao/Marquez) was not exciting, but his opponent sucked that night. And we all know Pacquiao did not perform to his standards either in that fight.

It's more because Pacquiao today isn't the guy who knocked out Ricky Hatton, then because Bradley is a great fighter, that I'm predicting a battle.

Your thoughts?

2. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I think Pacquiao will give his all this time. He realizes hes in there with a young hungry undefeated champion. He should be more focused for this fight.
    On a side note, it must be hard having both a political career and a boxing career.

3. aikiMac

I hope you're right. Manny was a my favorite boxer in a long time when he was coming up the ranks, killing everybody. It helps, too, that a couple of my friends married Filipina ladies. :) Manny's last couple fights, though, just haven't been the same. That frustrates me as a fan who wants to be entertained.

4. kingc699

kingc699 Valued Member

I like the pac man, but I think Bradley will take this one, seems more focused and determined, pac has too many interests politics, too distracted, at that level you cant afford to get side tracked, especially in the months leading up. Should be a great fight though.

5. aikiMac

I like that you're disagreeing with me on the outcome, because that suggests a good fight, and that's really what I want. :) Entertain the fans, baby. That's right.

6. kingc699

kingc699 Valued Member

Will be a great fight looking forward to it and the next episode of 24/7, as long as its a good fight thats what we all want :)

7. aikiMac

My buddy and I are planning on a night at a sports bar with this on the screens. My little jiu-jitsu boy wants to come, too. He always asks me, "Who would win in a fight: Pacquiao, or Bruce Lee? Just boxing." And, "Who would win in a fight, Pacquiaou, or Captain America?" And stuff like that. :D

8. aikiMac

What was that?

Huh? What?

That's why MMA is rising and boxing is falling.

And everything that Kellerman and Lampley said.

Give me a reason to continue watching boxing over MMA. Right now, I really don't think there is one.

9. aikiMac

Yahoo's news article on the fight.

I scored it the way Lederman scored it, but two of the rounds that I gave to Pac-Man were so close that I could agree with Bob Arum's scorecard and/or with the "Yahoo! Sports" scorecard.

By any of those three scores, however ... man, what can a boxing fan say? Really, how am I supposed to react to that?

And it's not just the Pacqui fiasco, it's the 2nd prelim fight shown on PPV. Do you call that a championship fight? That was supposedly a championship fight, a belt fight. Huh? What? You're kidding me, right? Come on, we both know that was an "April's Fool" joke, not a boxing fight. :(

Throw in all the phony match-ups and the fight-dodging, and a host of other wrong decision, and I don't enjoy professional boxing anymore. Sorry.

10. aikiMac

Ah, good -- they too saw what I saw

Quotes from "Storify.com" about the Pac-Bradley outcome:

That didn't really happen.

Did that just happen?

Blame here has to fall on Pacquaio's strategy of punching Bradley more often and harder.

Maybe Tim Bradley won some rounds while Manny Pacquiao was missing before the fight.

When the guy who wins a fight says "I've got to look at the tape" to see if he won, that's a pretty telling statement about his sport.

If I wanted to pay $55 to see corruption, I'd have donated money to a politician.

I'm still on the PPV channel waiting for it to come back on and tell me this was all an elaborate ruse.

11. aikiMac

I completely disagree with this writer's conclusion

Yahoo Sports news article

This part is correct:

It was unfair, unjust and just plain wrong.

It was unfair to Pacquiao, who deserved to win.

Yahoo! Sports had it 117-111 for Pacquiao. The vast majority of reporters covering the fight at ringside had it for Pacquiao, the No. 2 fighter in the world in the Yahoo! Sports rankings. HBO's Harold Lederman, a former professional judge, scored it 11 rounds to one for Pacquiao.

Arum was outraged, at one point referring to the judges as "The Three Blind Mice," while he was introducing Pacquiao at the post-fight news conference. "Can you believe that?" Arum said. "I had it 10-2! After I got into the ring after the fight, I went over to Bradley and said 'You did very well.' He said, 'I tried hard, but I couldn't beat the guy.' This is crazy. You talk about killing boxing? All three scorecards you throw out."

Even to those who felt Pacquiao won, there had to be a respect for Bradley, who fought a spirited, high-paced battle despite injuring both of his feet. He attended the news conference in a wheelchair.

Arum called the scoring "unfathomable" and offered to get the judges medical assistance. "I have best eye doctor in the world," Arum said. "Let's get them on a plane, fly to Los Angeles and I'll pay for their visit."

This part is incorrect:

Timothy Bradley's controversial split-decision victory over Manny Pacquiao on Saturday in their World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden was one of the best things that could have happened for the sport.

But, contrary to what many might say, this was no bad night for boxing.

But bad for boxing? Not in a million years. More people were talking about the fight when it ended than would have been had Pacquiao gotten the wide verdict most had expected.

This rematch will be bigger than Saturday's bout by a wide margin. Bradley will become a star; he's already a charismatic guy who performed well when he finally got his chance on the big stage. And Pacquiao's legion of fans will rally to his support, believing he was wronged and demanding justice in a second fight.

The only loser in the event was probably the state of Nevada, which likely won't get the opportunity to host the rematch. Arum said the rematch will be held in a "non-tax state," meaning it's likely headed to Texas. That will cost Nevada millions in tax income, but the impact of not having the fight in the state is the only bad thing to come out of the fight.

That's not bad for boxing by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Everything I've read makes me shake my head. What the sport needs is a couple guys who don't care about money, box to box, and leave nothing to the judges in my opinion. As much luck with that as getting world peace eh?

13. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I can't understand why this happened. Someone would say that if someone was to be favoured from the judges that one would be the champion..
    About the match, I can't say I liked it much. Bradley didn't seem very skilled to me and he was somewhat scared during the fight.

Pacman on the other hand wasn't as fit as he used to be either.. Maybe it's only my impression (I watched the match in a hurry after all), but he wasn't as fast as his usual self and at the later rounds seemed like he ran out of gas too.

Floyd is in jail right now, isn't he? That was a great treat for him. Now the time will pass by like a breeze :p.

14. aikiMac

And those two guys have to be promoters. The fighters themselves are too often under contract to fight whoever the promoters put tell them to fight. It's a sad situation, indeed.

Really? Bradley, I thought, was excellent. He completely lost on my personal scorecards, but his defense was superb, and he landed a lot of great hits on Pac, particularly uppercuts. He couldn't stop the speed of Pacqui, however. Only a small fraction of Bradley's hits landed because Pacqui blocked or dodged so well, and in all but a few rounds Pacqui was landing shots almost at will. They both had excellent defense, but Pacqui was just way, way faster.

I didn't see either one of them getting slow at the end, but on the other hand, I didn't see Pacqui going for the kill like, for example, when he fought Ricky Hatton a few years ago. He just never turned up the heat like he used to do. He performed very well, yes, but the "Eye of the Tiger" wasn't quite in him.

And he's sorry about that now.

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Boxing today has to be the most corrupt sport in the world. It's about one step above cockfighting in the alley.

16. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

man o man........how can pac lose this one 113/115

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The funniest thing is... every article that has a headline reading something to the effect of Bradley Beats Pacquiao has a shot of Pacman absolutely smashing Bradley. :D

Just after the bout ended and just before they announced the score cards and winner... they showed a video montage that featured Pacman landing solid shots on a game but rather ineffectual Bradley...

lol.... Boxing... corrupt as it ever was. The system is broken. Everyone knows who won... it wasn't Bradley.

18. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

I only got to see some brief highlights but most independants scored around 117/111 to pacman! will boxing ever clean its act up:confused:

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's entirely pointless for the WBO to review it. They don't have power to do anything about it. They are entirely without teeth. It only serves to underscore what a sham the whole judging structure in boxing is.