Oscar De La Hoya

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by BGile, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well the fight is not far off now.
    Any comments regarding who is going to win after this joke that has been going on for the last few weeks, and Floyd being a complete anal orfice.

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I think Mayweather will win on points unfortunately...

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I keep hoping that Oscar doesn't try to outbox him. That's exactly what Floyd wants and that's a good way for him to beat Oscar by a wide margin. I think if Oscar fights the fight he wants to and plays rough and brawls and bulldozes his way in... I think he could be too much for Floyd.

But I'll have to wait and see... like everyone else... just what sort of bout this is gonna be. I'd now like to see Floyd get beat just for his big mouth.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Ditto :D

5. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Hype

I'm an old boxing fan, I mean I'm pushing 60 now and I have never seen a fight hyped up as much as this one. I hope the fight lives up to the 'hype'. I just hope it's an exciting fight and not boring. All this reality TV show stuff. Floyd taking on the 'bad guy' role, c'mon it's all to sell tickets and PPV TV. Let's just hope they fight.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i found it ironic that its been coined "the fight to save boxing"

7. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

I was checking out ESPN.com last night and was reading about Roach and Oscar and some quotes from Mosely. Mosely said that you can definately see a big difference in Oscar since he has been training with Roach vs. Mayweather Sr. Mosely said that Roach has Oscar throwing his punches out further instead of keeping them in tight. Fighting Mayweather Oscar will need to his reach in order to land more shots on Mayweather. I also read where Roach said that Oscar has a really strong and powerful right hand that he does not use enough. Oscar has been throwing his right hand alot more now as well as his left hook. He seems to have the confidence in his right hand now and not just his left hook.

I also read where Mayweather compared himself to Muhammed Ali and said that in the end the only difference there will be between him and Ali is that Mayweather will not have a loss on his record like Ali.

I can't wait for this fight to happen. They said it is already the biggest fight in boxing history in terms of gate money for an indoor event. The tickets are sold out and it was $2 million just on ticket sales.

Tim

8. Hiroji

Its going to be a great fight. Boxing does need more fights like this, i cant remember the last time there was a fight between two stars like this.

lets hope it does live up to the hype. Only thing that will spoil it is if Floyd goes on the run and the crowd start with the boos.

Hope Oscar can do it.

Floyd makes me laugh though. I wonder if half the stuff he comes out with is just tongue in cheek stuff...you just got to laugh at the guy!

9. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I saw Tony Atlas on a boxing program the other night, and his thoughts were that Oscar needs to stay on the outside and use his reach and experience. He said if he gets in close, Maywheather's speed will allow him to land more shots. Just more thoughts from the experts. I normally can't stand to go out to bars, but I might head out to a sports bar to see this one.

10. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

I think de la hoya will keep it long and when in close let the bombs go! :woo:

11. slipthejab

God I hope the Golden Boy pounds him something fierce. Sure he skilled and what not... but with his big mouth... there hasn't been a bigger example of a person who doesn't know how to handle their skill outside of the ring since... well... Ali.

12. slipthejab

OK!!! Now that this fight has happened... who's gonna start the thread to discuss it...or at what point can we start discussing it without spoiling it for others... let me know I'm keen to chat about it... I've just finished watching it this morning. :D

13. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Great fight! Had to cheer Pretty Boy, he's from my home town, Grand Rapids in de hizzle! I thought it was pretty much a draw, then Oscar faded and Floyd came on stronger. Floyd deserved the W. Great fight, both fighters were awesome: they fought smart, were in 300 level condition, fast-paced throughout. A damn good match!

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Seemed to me as though Oscar gave up half way through the fight. He stopped throwing jabs, and every time he had Mayweather on the ropes he backed up and let Mayweather out. Huh? What's up with that!?

15. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Yeah it was odd...he also then proceeded to rely 100% on the flurries when he put Mayweather on the ropes...looked good, but no real damage seemed to be taking place, and most of the shots didn't connect clean.

I think part of it may have been that he was so ****ed that he simply wanted to hurt Floyd, which led him to fire off so many ineffectual shots.
    Or he thought that he wasn't quick enough to take Floyd at range, so decided to just be physical and use his size advantage against the ropes to cause the damage.

But it's too bad either way, b/c he was actually doing quite well when he was firing off those jabs.

16. slipthejab

Yeah I think a few things got De La Hoya...

1) He's not nearly as fast as Mayweather

2) He kept his head bang center the entire time - very little movment and he fought very square on against Mayweather.

3) He tried to just walk in on Mayweather - only jabbed in about 20% of the time

4) He's fit but he's not as fit as Mayweather - a few years can make a big difference in the fight game.

5) Mayweather's footwork was superb. Far above DeLa Hoya.

He should have kept jabbing in - instead of trying to wade in. There's a point at the midway where DeLa Hoya loses a bit steam. He was handing out flurries but wasn't landing flush. Mayweather is too good as a defensive boxer for that. It's not gonna hurt him. Mayweather is waaaayyyyy too conditioned to be taken out by any of the shots that landed by DeLa Hoya.

The reason that DeLa Hoya didn't stay in on Mayweather is because Mayweather is one of the slickest counter punchers in the business bar none. DeLa Hoya knows that and given the difference in speed... He'd have put some hurt on DeLa Hoya.

Mayweather gives nothing away... when he throws it's BANG... not so with DeLa Hoya he's gotta get set for his shots - Mayweather can see that a mile off. He even mentions it in the after fight interview.

DeLa Hoya is good... but Mayweather is younger and faster... and technically a better boxer. Maywweather was talking about hanging it up after this bout. If he does he's a smart kid. There is no one of any consequence left for him to beat. He's got all the money he needs... if he's smart (which I think he is) he'll retire... and enjoy his life with his family. Much the same that Lennox Lewis did.

Big props to both... but on this day... Mayweather was the better boxer.

Total comedy for Mayweather come out in Mexican colored trunks and a sombrero!!
    :eek:

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  17. Hiroji

I agree with slip.

The fight was like i predicted.

Oscar had the early rounds but seemed to fade after Floyd nailed him in the 5th. Before that though Hoyas defense and parrying was awesome.

Oscar would have won if he just pumped out that jab all the time. If he could have done that and then pound pretty boy on the inside like he was doing i think he may have stole it. Still, it was close though and a good fight.

18. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

It was Cinco de Mayo so it worked on a couple levels.

19. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

What no knock out :eek: Glad I didn't pay for it then :D

20. Hiroji

It wasnt PPV in the UK :p