Opening and closing hands at beginning

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by nefariusmdk, Jun 14, 2010.

1. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

It is an intrinsic part of the movement

Do you understand what is meant by the word "intrinsic"?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Slightly patronising don't you think?

You do know what patronising means? :evil:

3. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

You do realize that everyone is not like you?

You do realize the internet is populated by the young and old?

You do realize the internet is populated by the educated and uneducated?

You do realize the internet is populated by non english speaking people?

Don't you?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Humour.

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Classic example of actually saying nothing......another empty vessel on these forums....brilliant!

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Strewth, why dont you pull your head out of your backside for a while because it is affecting your ability to DEBATE. :bang::bang:

7. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

What are the possible applications of this described opening/closing hand movement?

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Since for some unknown reason someone added this into Cheng's form you'd have to ask them.

I'm voting for the Vulcan nerve pinch.

Really tho',nothing you couldn't do/figure from the opening moves done without this add on.

9. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

Why do people who do not understand something put down the person who they do not understand?

The sentence is contructed in grammatically correct English. If you think about what is said you should be able to come up with something.

10. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

Someone does not understand the meaning of the word "intrinsic".....

Or someone is not thinking.

11. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

Why do you believe that?

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Believe which-unknown reason or added onto Cheng's form?

If the former-I don't know why whoever added it did so,hence reason unknown.

If the latter-it's not part of Cheng's form in any of his of teachings over the years that I've ever heard/seen/read of. Hence I must figure until evidence to the contrary exists that someone added it,rather than receiving it from Cheng.

13. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

It is weird how different people think. Here I thought I was being clear......

Why do you believe anyone added it onto the end of the form?

I am trying to force you to analyze what you are thinking. What underlying assumptions are you basing your statement,

"Since for some unknown reason someone added this into Cheng's form you'd have to ask them"

on.

I am feeling kinda short right now so I will tell you what your underlying assumption is that you seem unaware of.

Your underlying assumption is that someone added that movement to the form.

Why do you believe that?

Consider that repeat question in light of my statement that started this exchange.

"It is an intrinsic part of the movement"

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I certainly thought I was being clear.

Force me to analyze what I'm thinking? My statements were a result of analytical thought on the matter. Read my posts,#3 and #5 in this thread.If you haven't then you should learn to read a thread before you end up asking people to repeat themselves.If you have read them why are you asking me this? Oh yeah,re-read post #32,my reply to your initial enquiry to me.

I plainly state I feel someone added this to their Cheng form and you tell me that is an underlying assumption on my part that I'm unaware of ? Your statement makes no sense.

The OP's question was asking where the opening/closing of the hands came from in the beginning of Cheng's form. Re-read the OP's 1st post. Regarding the description that was in that post that physical move as described does not to my knowledge exist in Cheng's transmission- so your statement that "It is an intrinsic part of the movement" is non-applicable.

I wasn't involved in your exchange over your statement of it being an intrinsic part of the movement, I was replying to Kibbles' query on application of said movement.

Feel as short or tall as you want. As I've stated why I believe what I do as regards this move described by the OP either give me some evidence to the contrary so that I may contact seniors in Cheng's line to query them about this or stop asking the same question. That's intrinsically trolling.

15. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

in·trin·sic/inˈtrinzik/Adjective
    1. Belonging naturally; essential.
    2. (of a muscle) Contained wholly within the organ on which it acts.

I doubt it's about #2 and every movement in the tai chi form I've been taught has a purpose and application and quite simply naturally belongs there ... I was really hoping this one did too. :confused:

16. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

You are not being clear and I do make sense.

You said "Someone added this to their Cheng form"

I said "Your underlying assumption is that someone added the movement to the Cheng form".

Then I said "recall what I originally claimed. It is an intrinsic part of the movement."

Can you see what I am getting at? If you can't it is my opinion that your thinking is muddy.

What?

There is a very good reason the movement may not exist in the original form.

That does not change the fact the hand movement under discussion is an intrinsic part of the form.

You will never learn because you want to fight. You cannot have fun with someone and exchange information. Someone has to win. Someone has to lose. Someone has to get beat up.

You are going to be stuck in a rut until that attitude changes.

17. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

What if I told you that most of what you know is true, but it is just something to keep you occupied or distracted until you figure out what is going on?

Would that make you mad? Because people were lying to you?

Would that make you feel foolish? Because you were a sucker that could be distracted so easily?

What if all the Tai Chi applications you know are a bunch of baloney? Would that bother you? Not baloney in the sense that they would not work, but baloney in the sense that the explanation you are being given is a fake one designed to keep reality from you? While the instructor decides whether he feels you deserve to be told about reality or not?

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Teach us the real truth of it, oh great master jinkan.

ps. how about posting a clip of CMC form and point out the movement you say is there. Whilst I've never practcied CMC myself, I believe El Medico has and right now I'd take his take over yours any day of the week.

So please stop talking in mysteries and acting like you're above it all, and actually come down off your high horse and have real discussion with the people here.

For someone who is preaching about not contesting and exchange of discussion, you've done a bang up job of telling pretty much most of the people you have engaged with here they are wrong and don't know about this or that regarding martial arts.

So come on great expert, it's put up or shut up time. Or here's an idea, why not just participate like a normal human being instead of wanting to be our great saviour and educator - you need to prove you have genuine knowledge to get that respect on MAP. It's not just given, particularly when you are so dismissive of others opinions. You don't obviously have to agree with everyone, but you don't have to be a dick about it either

19. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Cloudz... you must understand Jinkan is pretty damn skilled, how else could he balance such a MASSIVE head on his shoulders! :D

20. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

That's cruel - but I did laugh :)

I think based on my interpretation of his writings that 'Jinkan' is either:
    a) Just playing around on the ol Interweb forum thingy.
    or
    b) One of those Tai Chi people who are interested in the 'journey' rather than the actual 'facts' of Tai Chi.

I have met over the years many (well more than several) people who see their practice (Tai Chi, Karate, Yoga, Knitting, Whatever...) as primarily a metaphysical pursuit. Needless to say I find such people to be interesting but disconnected from 'my reality.