Olympic karate comes a step closer

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, Jul 7, 2005.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

even though (as you think) i can get away with it doesn't meen i have poor technique. i just like sparring, any way shape or form, but i tend to favoure medium contact, because i'm good at it

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

as opposed to heavy/full contact because? The technique/ strategy element is a big higher there. what your saying is that you like medium contact because its not as demanding right?

3. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

for me yes thank god someone understands me now!!!!

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

so how is that any diffrent from what Ikken was accusing you of saying? you like it because you aren't held to as high a bar and is less demanding, as i just said, and you just agreed to.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think he's saying he like med-contact because it's a 'purer' test of technique over brute force. A fair argument.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

going from what I have seen of semi contact karate competitions which generally involve a whole lot of jumping windmill punches and falling over if you miss (so that the other guy cant score, I guess) I have to disagree (with the arguement)

7. Moosey

Oh well, I've seen different ones. But I'm not discounting your experiences - I guess there are crappy karate tournaments out there just like there are crappy sporting competitions of all kinds.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

From what I recall that one they featured on the XMA show was a fairly big "karate" event wasnt it? and it looked bloody horrible.

9. Moosey

I've no idea. Haven't seen it/didn't watch it. Sounds rubbish from what you've described, but that's not my experience of karate competition as a whole.

10. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

What's XMA got to do with karate? Karate is an old Okinawan fighting art. XMA was invented by a Power Ranger.

11. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Getting back to the thread has karate not being chosen for the olympics?? sorry if this has being asked b4. Also has wu shu been added??

12. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

dude if your basing your argument on a dvd documentary than your better off dissing all the martial arts in general affter watching the karate kid a few times

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im not basing it just on that. im basing it on footage I have seen of a LOT of semi contact karate tournaments. it isnt hard to find footage of these events, I was just wondering because the event that whatshisface who starred in the XMA competition was semi contact karate and seemed to be quite a big event. and it sucked.

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I dont think it has (I cant be bothered to look back through 5 pages this early)

15. Moosey

I started this thread after reading the that the WKF had been in talks with the olympic committee and that karate was (at that time anyway) the most popular choice for a new entrant sport.

16. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I agree, besides that thing of XMA was titled as US karate open, so for common people who watch ESPN and see US karate open, you might jump into conclusions after seeing that.

I know that karate is not like those guys of XMA, but watching those guys spar makes me sick.

By the way, sorry for hijacking the post.

17. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

fair enough,but but it's just that small handful of mcdojo's who pull the rest of of us down, but be that as it may, it's no resson to say that the only seriouse karateka are the ones who do kyokushin

18. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Agree, for a few Mcdojangs/Mcdojos all practicioners of that art are taken for Mc karatekas /Mc TKD practicioners.

19. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Lol! Yeah but didn't you know, Kyokushin is the new black :)

20. Moosey

LOL :D