Olympic karate comes a step closer

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Personally, I'm excited about karate being in the olympics. Apparently it's been accepted as a candidate sport, the WKF rules have been agreed on by the IOC as the world standard for competition, and last time I checked it was one of the most popular choices for inclusion in the Olympic roster.

Are you excited? Is it a good thing? Would you have chosen different rules (shobu ippon kumite? knockdown?)? What do people think?

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I think it's cool.

But I'm not sure if it's fair.

Japan already has a martial art in the olympics, Judo.

South Korea has Taekwondo.

I think think that the comitte should allow China to use Wushu in the olympics.

If they allowed both in, then that'd be even better.

3. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

No no no no no no no no no. Keep it a martial art I say.

4. Moosey

That's a good point. WKF is medium-contact points-sparring - will it lead to a diluted karate?

5. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Without a shadow of a doubt. There are many seasoned TKDers in a state of distress over whats happened to TKD since it got into the Olympics.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Now it's WKF, huh? Back in the day when this first started they were looking for ISKA to be the ruleset, and it cost Karate its Olympic berth because there was too much infighting. My gut says there will be too much infighting here as well. We shall see, I guess. As long as it's better than Olympic TKD, which just looks like a bunch of Weebles.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Absolutely, its been changed to something that really doesn't look like TKD anymore.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Pah, I can imagine people in pyjamas hardly touching each other and winning by scoring high :woo:

|Cain|

9. Moosey

So how should they do it? People in leotards fighting for a KO? What would you suggest to the IOC?

10. AL1

AL1 Valued Member

I would suggest, Kyokushin rules - knock down - full contact. But then again I am very biased :D But I guess it would have to be toned down for the olympics - head gear, gloves, shin covers etc., maybe allow head shots??

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think, based on my limited competition experience, that some hybrid system should be made for the Olympics.

my idea's something like this:

WKF rules(except the foul=point to the other guy rule, but keep the four foul DQ and stuff)

WKC/shobu ippon contact(or a little harder, so as to keep the competition non-sissy)

have the referee/s NOT scoring any point that does not have good technique and is not above a minimum contact barrier(don't know about the rest, but the comps i have been in did not give you points if your blow slid a bit, had no kime, or were too close or far away)

also sparring gear, same as normal competition gear, just a mouthguard and those small glove thingies(i've seen them varying from almost MMA gloves to almost miniature boxing gloves, so my idea is to have a standard type)

just my 2 cents

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Isn't that Olympic TKD?

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I think karate should be scored like boxing, you get points for strikes as you fight and fighting in rounds

14. Kind of like the 10K clash here in Britain or is that too 'softie'? [NB Not my opinion, just a comment :) ]

J

15. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

Latest IOC - Olympic news

here's the latest report today (July 8, 2005) about the IOC news, see attached link:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050708/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_sports_dropped

With two slots open on the program, the IOC voted from a waiting list of five sports: golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports. Squash and karate were nominated for inclusion but were rejected overwhelmingly.

With a two-thirds margin required to join the program, members voted 63-39 against squash and 63-38 against karate. Rogge had proposed a show of hands for approval of the two sports, but was booed by the delegates and forced to stick with a secret vote.

any comments?

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Just read the article, not surprised. They've got TKD, and to most of the IOC Karate would be the same rerun of TKD that softball was to baseball.

17. Cain

Cain New Member

That's my point, they will turn it into something that was not meant to :(

|Cain|

18. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

I can't see the IOC having both TKD and Karate in the Olympics. I reckon that they'll consider them to be too similar. I'm very glad of that too. Fighting for points? Fighting in rounds? I don't know what that is but it ain't karate.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

why bother? it would be pretty much the same as tkd but different gis.

20. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I personally wouldn't mind if karate was made Olympic, it would take the heat off us TKDists a bit! :D