old skool lau gar

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by quanto, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

Oooh 7 degrees in Lau now. LOL

Cant wait for number 8. :rolleyes:

2. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

Should have asked him if he'd heard of the internet. :cool:

3. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Lau Gar Fist wanna come training at our place on saturday afternoon at 1pm til 2.30? You need to get your ass down here!!

4. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Is that a threat? :mad:

lmao :evil:

Yeah I'll be there

5. baihoma

baihoma Valued Member

Hi fellow martial artists, perhaps i could help you out with some of your questions about the old days of lau gar, I'm proud to say i studied under master yau from 1973 till 1986 i was there when it started, i trained alongside most of the people mentioned.

6. herbert

herbert Valued Member

You will be shouting at alot of deaf people my friend.

There are too many anti-Yau people on here that will try to twist your words and only want to discredit Master Yau.

Better to keep your knowledge to yourself I think.

7. baihoma

baihoma Valued Member

Thanks for the advise mate, however if the anti yau people want to discredit master yau that is up to them, i cant see what good it will do them.

8. quicksilver63

quicksilver63 New Member

Hi guys did train for a while under Steve Faulkner with the greats Alvin and Mark Aston.:)

9. baihoma

baihoma Valued Member

hi mate, i didn't train under Steve Faulkner, i trained with him. in fact Steve Faulkner started about a year or two after i started,i never never had the pleasure of training with mark Aston, however i did train Alvin.

10. herbert

herbert Valued Member

hey hey

You guys must be soooo old!!!

I remember Steve F, Alvin Mighty and Mark Aston, but they were seniors when I was just a beginner.

Didn't Mark knacker his leg? because he disappeared from the competition scene.

And Steve left to go with Deadly Dicker and the wuma.

I trained in class with Kev B under Neville, so really I'm one generation down from you two.

Respect to you both.

11. xmartialman

xmartialman New Member

bad lau gar on u tube again

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80f3XfbgL7o&feature=related"]YouTube - BCKA Lau Gar Kung Fu - Shifu Oli doing 3rd set - Charp Choi[/ame]

BCKA I thought that was guardian club mmm:confused:

12. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Is no wonder we get gunned down in torrents of flames. Deary me! Im not even going to comment on that, you all know what, where when and why!!!! There is prime evidence of a club who uses the lau gar kungfu syllabus as a route to get a grade and nothing else.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  13. pecks

pecks Valued Member

that was carp. a brown belt?
    beats me why anyone thought that was worthy of posting on the net.

14. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

That vid, and others too, have been around for a while. The 'sifu' needs his **** kicking. How the hell he got brown sash with such sloppy techniques is beyond me. Whomever graded him either felt sorry for him or saw it as beneficial to his club to have high grades. If you search shifu oli on you tube you get more shining examples on how not to perform the early sets of laugar. He is a complete twonk and has no idea of direction, power, or flow and does not seem like he is trying to impress anyone. I would be mortified if i was shown to the world to be as inept as he.

15. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

seeing this makes me realise how lucky i am to have excellent instructors!

found this picture the other day, bit of history.

[​IMG]

16. baihoma

baihoma Valued Member

made a bit of a mistake on my last statement, i missed out the word WITH, i trained with Alvin mighty, i never trained Alvin mighty. I HUMBLY APOLOGIZE.
    I have to say you guys have got it right concerning that brown sash, you said it all, O GOSH.

17. xmartialman

xmartialman New Member

Yes you can thank yourself you were.
    I thought Alex barrowman was one of the original guardians and runs the BCKA I would have expected more from a student under his umbrella

18. baihoma

baihoma Valued Member

In all honesty, I'm not really up to date as to whats going on in the lau gar circle, having left lau gar in 1985, however i still remember the names of those i trained with Alex barrowman being one of those, am i to understand the brown sash on u tube is one of his students? if being the case it seems standards have dropped. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME IM WRONG.

19. CFT

CFT Valued Member

That brown belt is only a "boy", but I would be worried that he really is teaching this stuff to younger children. Best to start with a good foundation.

20. baihoma

baihoma Valued Member

i agree he is only a boy, i also agree that its a worrying thought about the stuff being taught to younger children.
    There seems to be alot of children in martial arts being mislead by instructor's in this money orientated world. You got that spot on right when you said a good foundation.