Oil for injury

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Narrue, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

In Filipino martial arts is there any oil similar to the Balur oil used in Silat?

If so what is it called and further details please.

Balur oil used in silat is coconut oil based containing clay, herbs and mantras chanted over the mixture as it is being made, good stuff but hard to get!

2. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

You will find similar balur in the southern Philippines. Mostly in systems that have a deep connection to Silat. I have a recipe that was passed on to me from a friend in the southern Philippines. Of course he didn't have a Filipino name for it he said here do this recipe and you will get some balur. He trains in Kuntaw but also in Silat.

3. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Care to share the recipe :)

4. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Found out that in FMA they sometimes use Himag oil

5. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I unfortunately cannot share the recipe. I'm sorry but he asked me not to. He is fine with me using it obviously, giving it away or selling it but not sharing the recipe. So sorry there wish I could!

Having used both jow and balur I have to say I definitely prefer the Balur. I prefer the coconut oil based balur because it seems to work a little better and feels, smells better as well.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Try to find out more about hilot. It's not just the oils and the potions but a whole system of healing including massages.