ODF, PPS formats? Any chance?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by 2E0WHN, Feb 26, 2009.

1. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Any chance MAP could use open source formats from Open office? Things like ODF and PPS powerpoint formats are not supported. The Open office system is in my mind a better alternative to Microsofts office and has all the same features.

But there is no platform for the ODF and PPS formats on MAP. This software is open source and freely available so why not let others have a choice in format attachments instead of just Word and ppt. It would make attachments more workable and interchangeable as well.

Any ideas regarding this?

2. Topher

Topher allo!

Can't you just save a MS Office compatible versions?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

With PPS to ppt it becomes corrupted. Open source software is catching on and file formats are becoming more interchangeable and used more. If I could I would convert it to PDF but it becomes corrupted if it goes from pps to PDF.

Maybe interchangeable formats could open up other users who use open source software to save it in the original format instead of converting and it going wrong like what happened to me when I did a document in ODT format and converted it to MS Word. It showed outlines of images and odd parts were made unreadable.

So maybe we could have a different option in regards to other users who use different file formats.

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Got a list of the common types and a max file size that you'd expect to see? Nowt daft like 100MB files, just what you'd expect to see.

5. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I noticed that MAP also supports zip; so maybe you can just zip the ODT/PPS and post it that way?

Also about "compatibility", you can actually get a ODF-plugin for MS Office and make it work with ODF files. I think it is more compatible that way since the plug-in is made by the people who have the ODF specs and it should work better than OpenOffice opening MS Word files since the MS do not publish their specs.

6. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Well it would seem that it is just MS office programs and format. There are others out there and it may help promote open source programs instead of the pay Microsoft to use their function and format.

And as for .zip files? I don't like them. Downloading them is either straightforward or you have to alter them to make it work by altering the filename. The straightforward file type saying ODT etc could be a bonus as most websites do not use the open source upload file.

7. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

What do you mean? You just download the zip file, double click it, and volia there's your ODF or folder or whatever, you can put whatever you want in a zip file. In fact an ODT file is just a zip file with a .odt extension, if you rename say doc.odt to doc.zip you can actually unzip it and see what's inside of it.

8. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

DO you mean from a web forum download or from a internet FTP download?

9. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Oh so like when a zip file is downloaded from a web forum it is not usually named with a .zip extension such that one would need to rename it in order to unzip it?

If so I can see what you are worrying about.

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Yep. It would make it better if file formats were original as say PDF but to do it as pps to PDF corrupts it. So would it not be better to have a file extension in pps so other source software can be used also.

11. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Right. So what do we need to get those extra extensions added to the MAP forums?

12. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Maybe a poll would give an idea as to who uses what so we can have a fair idea of what is used.

I will set one up.