Obtuse Kicks

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by deathbloom, Aug 16, 2005.

1. deathbloom

deathbloom New Member

Does anyone besides me use obtuse kicks?. I've been finding myself using them a lot lately as we've got a couple of new members and they tend to hold their hands too far apart in sparring, when that happens there's nothing like an obtuse kick to pop up between their hands and catch them on the chin. What do you guys reckon?

2. What actually are they? Got any examples? :)

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!

Easy thesaurus boy. :D

Which kind of obtuse were you referring to?

obtuse
    ob·tuse
    adj. ob·tus·er, ob·tus·est
    1. Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.
    2. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark.
    3. Not distinctly felt: an obtuse pain.

1. Not sharp, pointed, or acute in form; blunt.
    2. Having an obtuse angle: an obtuse triangle.
    3. Botany. Having a blunt or rounded tip: an obtuse leaf.

hint.. some of the above won't work with kicks. :D

4. Hehe - quite amusing how nobody else seems to know what one is, either. Of course, the mighty slipmeister does, because he knows everything. I bow down.

hint.. crap jokes aren't funny :D

5. slipthejab

just the facts mate.. just the facts.

6. Which facts are these? You basically posted 15 lines, of which most was utter crap.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  7. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

In K-1: Buakaw totally beat "champ" Masato in by catching him on the face with such kicks. Some people are too used to techniques requiring a round trip to execute (hooks, leg kicks, round kicks, etc). A same incident can be found in the thread that mentioned using Wing Chun punches in boxing; linear attackes to throw some rhythm off :)

8. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Its the opposite of an acute kick :rolleyes:

9. Thanks. Just what I wanted to know ;):p

Obviously it's called something different where I am, so anyone care to actually elaborate on what it actually is (without being a smartarse and quoting from a dictionary).

10. deathbloom

deathbloom New Member

Well i've always been taught to call roundhouse kicks turning kicks so the name probably is different. Hmmm, kinda hard to describe, imagine a front kick only with your leg turned on the side. Not the best way to describe it but it's all I can think of at the moment.

11. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

In maths an obtuse angle is something more than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees, so does this apply to the kick i.e. what angle it strikes at? :confused: Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree here? :D

12. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

could yuo be referring to a twisting kick ?which way do you turn teh kicking leg??

13. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

He means a straight kick that raises above 90 degrees. Think high push kick. I'd just call it that, though; a high push kick/snapping kick. Obtuse is too obscurely used :)

14. TheMadhoose

akitaka ...........we talking about a high front kick then?

15. slipthejab

relax jackson... no need to get yer panties in a knot... obtuse or otherwise :D

breathe deep.. focus on the lotus... breathe deep...

That's the fact that is relevant to the post... since most people don't commonly use the word obtuse to describe kicks of this nature. :D Judging from the number of posts asking what the heck an obtuse kick is... it'd be relevant for most to know the varrying definitions of the word.

Comprende?

16. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

High front kick, heel kick, as long as it comes up between the guard and plugs the oppenent in the chin. Confining it to terms only makes it confusing; but if it works for you, front kick it is :)

17. TheMadhoose

ok now im with ya.

18. I didn't think we were talking in botanical terms, somehow.

But if someone asks what a front kick is, do we have to give them the definition of front? Responding with a dictionary reference to "crocodile" for a "crocodile kick" isn't hiighly appropriate, either :p I'm well aware of what obtuse is, but 90 degrees can apply to a whole lot of directions rather than just front. By that definition, is a high roundkick an obtuse kick? Spinning backfist? We have a high number of colourful names for kicks.

Now that we've established what one is (front kick/push kick/snap kick), I'm happy :)

In terms of what an obtuse kick is, yes. No thanks to this post though :)

In response to the original post

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  19. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Obtuse?
    what a stupid name for a kick

20. Leg kicks are now being called acute kicks, and straight ones will be referred to as right kicks :)