oap stick fighter

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Humblebee, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

An 86-year-old widow has told how she tackled a burglar by hitting him with her crutch and then keeping him prisoner until police arrived.
    She opened the door and found herself face-to-face with the man, who had broken in through the back door.

"I wasn't going to have this - I thought I'd do something about it," she said.

"He played right into my hands, so I let him have it.

"I said 'I've got you, lad. You get out from here, I've got a walking stick.' Up goes my walking stick and I hit him across the back four times. If I had broken it I wouldn't have cared.

"I told him, 'You sit on that stool over there. I'm calling the police. Don't move or you'll have my stick across you.'"

The pensioner said the man then buried his face in his hands and pretended to cry as she made him sit on a stool and stood guard over him until the police arrived.

"When the police came they were killing themselves laughing," she continued.

"My niece arrived and said I looked like a schoolteacher with a naughty child."

Mrs Davies, who worked at Woolwich Arsenal and at a munitions factory in Bridgend during the Second World War, said she hoped the incident would make people look at her differently.

Despite having suffered recently from a broken hip and ribs, pneumonia and shingles, the widow of 20 years said she was capable of looking after herself.

She said: "Why should old women be looked down on? I think it is terrible the way people look down on you.

"I have been brought up with men, and I am very independent and able to stand up for myself."

A South Wales Police spokeswoman confirmed that a suspect was arrested at the scene on Friday night, adding: "It appears that during the burglary the lady hit the intruder with her crutch."

:: A 26-year-old man appeared at Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates' Court charged with burglary on Monday. He was remanded in custody.

BBC news report

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

If I lived near her I would leave her some flowers and a big bag of welsh cakes. What a great old dear.

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

"The pensioner said the man then buried his face in his hands and pretended to cry as she made him sit on a stool and stood guard over him until the police arrived."

Awww bless. I bet he didn't really break in to burgle the place at all. I think he got exactly what he was after. :evil:

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Never underestimate a Welsh wrinkly....:hat: