Number of styles and differences?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Danny050, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Danny050

Danny050 New Member

Exactly how many styles of kung fu are there and what makes them different from the others?

2. Spike

Spike New Member

How long have you got?

:)

3. Danny050

Danny050 New Member

i'm new, i've just been doing tae kwon do(blue belt), and want to do a kung fu style that'll help w/ my fighting. I'm also going to go to air force basic training december 31.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Numbers in the thousands I believe.

5. waya

waya Valued Member

There are more forms of Chinese arts than we have room to type lol. Each system in my understanding has many subsystems and variations off of it. What schools are in your area?

Rob

6. Danny050

Danny050 New Member

Shaolin Kung Fu Academy and Lee's Kung Fu and Tai Chi Center( My Jhong Law Horn, Wu Tai Chi Chuan, Pa Kua Chang, Chi Kung). then theres the karate and tae kwon do dojo's

7. tuney30

tuney30 New Member

you are lucky, there are no kung fu clubs in my area, if i was you if you havent already checked out the shaolin club i would, if you have or do please let me know because i take particular interest in the shaolin styles! thanks

8. waya

waya Valued Member

I haven't heard anything negative about any of those systems. Maybe some of the folks training Chinese arts could give you some specifics.

Rob

9. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Danny050,

OK, there's no exact answer to this questions, as by the time I have finished posting, someone will have invented another system.

'Kung Fu' is a loose collective term we in the west use for Chinese Martial Arts, or CMA for short.

Differences in style, are characterized by those that are seen to be external or internal. Some styles are hard, some are soft. Some are long, some are short. Some claim Shaolin as an origin, and some don't. Some are based on animals, and some are family systems. I reckon numberwise, that there must be thousands of styles of Kung Fu. The differences are in the practitioners though, more than the systems.

10. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

You just have to suck it and see!

11. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

If you have Mizong fist ( My Jhong Law Horn) near you then check it out.
    This is a vast system that covers pretty much every aspect of kung fu.

Colin................